P5W DH Del- optical drive? [Noob]

cheen9

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Hey where should I connect my optical drive (Sony DVDRW AW G170A-B2) using the supplied CD-ROM cable - to the black "JMicron IDE connector PRI_EIDE" or to the blue "Intel ICH7R IDE connector PRI_IDE". The manual isn't specific about optical drives.

Also I have to connect only the power cable from my PSU for peripheal devices also or any more connections required for optical drive.

As well, for SATA HDD (Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm 250GB) I use the red or orange cable and connect to SATA1 and connect it to a power supply. That's it right??

Also I fitted in my Core 2 Duo E6600 socket but on some assembling guides its saying you need to put thermal paste or something on the processor, but nothing written about it on the motherboard or processor manual so is my processor safe?

I am too scared to plug it in a wall socket at the momment.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
1) the blue "Intel ICH7R IDE connector PRI_IDE" is the best port to use, this port will require zero config to get it working when you attach the CD

2) each optical drive requires 1 data and 1 power to work

3) connect the SATA disk to the connector on the mobo called SATA1 with either SATA cable, they are all the same, plus one power connector into the disk. Do not use the SATA_RAID or EZ_RAID ports for a single disk.

4) are you using the standard Intel heatsink, if so this came with a square of grey putty like material over the base of the heatsink, this is your thermal paste... Was this material on the base of the heatsink before you attached?

manvadher

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
with the optical drive, plug it into any, if it works it works, if it doesnt, move it over. I think that on the intel one, it will definatly work, whereas with the jmicro, it may only be for hdds'.

with the cpu... make sure that cpu is installed onto the motherboard the right way round, and that you have closed the flap and locked it into place.

now, if you brought eh C2D as a retial box, then the heatsink fan will contain a thin layer of grey material on the underside of the HSF. this is the thermal interface material or whatever you want to call it.

i dont really want to go over the steps on install the HSF on in case i miss one and cock erverything up... i'll leave that to someone else

regards

cheen9

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
yeah i'm using a stock intel heatsink, i remember it being in a warning not to scratch the thermal compound on the base of the heatsink doh how could i forget (*hits himself on his head). i was seeing these old guides where u inject the paste from a syringe lol.

thanks guys, i've just plugged the optical drive into the blue PRI_IDE port - ASUS manual was stating that it is for hard drives and no mention of optical drives hence i got confused.

now i think im ready to go - gotta go and get an OS and boot it up, hope it all works.

manvadher

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
when you installed the intel HSF, on the underside of the mobo, once installed, where you able to see the black pin in the center and then the white part of it split? ie, the black pin forcing out the two white parts ? this will ensure that the HSF is attached correctly.

I recommond you watch the bios for a good few mins just to make sure the HSF is installed correctly.

cheen9

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
hey buddy i did not get exactly as i cannot see any black pin - i fastened the 4 fasterners as described in the manual and its securely in it - i have a transparent side panel so if it's not put in correctly the fan of the HSF will not rotate or what?