AMD Socket 939 VS. AMD Socket AM2

Whats the difference? Is their any benefits in either one? Which socket is the latest and newest? and which motherboard is better- abit or asus?

just had to ask these because my friends building a gaming computer and he wanted it to be the latest and most fastest and im assisting him in the building and ordering of parts process..

So far heres the parts we have decided on.. I want some suggestions on what parts we should change and what parts we should keep or any comments. We are trying to stay under a $1,450 budget :? :
- APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3250824AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
- LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATAPI/E-IDE DVD Burner W/ LightScribe
- XFX PVT73GUGD3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
- KINAMAX BT-USB USB 2.0 USB2.0 Bluetooth Dongle External Adapter 100 Meters (328 feet)
- D-Link DWL-G520 IEEE 802.11, 802.11b/g 32bit PCI2.2 Wireless Adapter up to 108Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1X, WPA
- Acer AL1916Fbd Black 19" 2ms (GTG) DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1
- RAZER Copperhead Blue 7 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Tempest Gaming Mouse
- Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI Ready / Blue / Power Supply
- Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
- Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA Socket 939 Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.40GHz Processor with Fan

Comments ? Suggestions ? :o
8 answers Last reply
More about socket socket
  1. the main difference between 939 and AM2 is that AM2 has ddr2 while 939 has ddr1
    however the performance increase is marginal, so if you want a good gaming pc now go for 939 because performance is allmost the same.
    but if you want a future proof system you must go for AM2, because their upcoming line of processors will (probably after a bios upgrade) be compatible with it.
    and asus is (depending of price range) better than abit, according to me.

I would buy a core 2 duo E6300 if i were you, but it's your choice

about your list:
    don't buy lightscribe, it's not worth the price
    try to spare some money for a better 3dcard, like an x1900xt
    never heard from ULTRA memory, try to find reviews of it, and if you're going AM2 you will need ddr2
  2. $1450 is a good budget:

You can get a faster Conroe build for that money:

E6300 $180
    Gigabyte DS3 MB : $145
    Pqi 2x1Gb ram (on sale now) $175
    7600 GT video card $115
    Seagate 7200.10 250gb HD $80
    PSU your choice less than $100
    Dvd burner/floppy $50 or less

$845

You pick the case, the mouse and monitor you already have selected and you'll be under budget. *I just looked at the MB/RAM combo i picked out and the Ram voltage is 2.0 so that would need to be adjusted in the BIOS. If you're not comfortable doing this, then a different RAM selection should be considered*
  3. what exactly is "conroe" i sound noobish i know
  4. The differance in 939 and AM2 is the AM2 has the newest design, the AM2 can hold more than 4GB of RAM, and the AM2 has a faster X2 than 939. If you plan on staying with 939 get 2GB or dual channel DDR3200 else at some point youll end up having to pull out 1GB just to move up to 2GB's. The lowest of the low E-Machine has offered 1GB systems for near a year. Do your self a favor and get 2GB's.

If this is a none gaming rig your CPU/GPU are fine but for gaming you want the best GPU then buy the CPU with what your bugdet allows.
  5. conroe is Intel's chip:

core 2 duo. Unless you have preference for AMD, Intel currently holds the speed crown.

Also, in agreement with the above posters, a better GPU (x1900xt for example) would be nice. I picked the 7600 GT to keep you within your current budget and then you can upgrade later.
  6. QUESTION:

how come some articles say that AMD 64 X2 is better than Intel's processors? and how come most of the ppl on this forum reccomend me intel?? *so confused*
  7. Maybe you are looking at older articles that compare the AMD X2 to the older Pentium 4/D. Take a look at these charts and see for yourself:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Use the E6400 as a comparison tool since they didn't test the E6300. Some of the top AMD chips will still beat out the E6400/E6300 but you need to take cost into consideration. Furthermore, there is high overclock potential with the conroe chips on air cooling.
  8. One reason some articles say AMD is better as they have responded to conroe and dropped prices so the value per dollar is better - particularly on the lower end.

If you never plan on upgrading the 939 has some good value because good proven motherboards are cheaper, but in a year new CPUs will be very limited in availability.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Socket