Sign in with
Your question

Almost ready to buy...and problems with this?

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2006 6:09:41 PM

I've spent the last 2 or 3 weeks researching and deciding what to get. Prices seem to stable and while RAM prices are likely to come down the when could be some time from now. I'm most concerned about getting something that is incompatible with another component. So any comments would be welcome. I am not a heavy gamer so I don't think I need a great Vcard. The Ram could also be downgraded with either 1G if make sense to do so and get more later (but again compatibility concerns). Here's what I have. BTW this is a 1st ever build. I've done a lot of upgrading but never built something from scratch.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: CAC-T05-UW
Item #: N82E16811119068 $49.99 -$5.00 Instant $44.99

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-965P-DS3
Item #: N82E16813128012 $144.99 $144.99

eVGA 256-P2-N615-TX Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: 256-P2-N615-TX
Item #: N82E16814130062 $132.99 $132.99

ENERMAX FMA II EG565P-VE ATX12V 535W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: EG565P-VE
Item #: N82E16817194010 $109.99 -$10.00 Instant $99.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail
Model #: BX80557E6400
Item #: N82E16819115004 $220.00 $220.00

pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI25400-2GDB - Retail
Model #: PQI25400-2GDB
Item #: N82E16820141211 $239.99 -$25.00 Instant $214.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST3320620AS
Item #: N82E16822148140 $94.99 $94.99

Update LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SHM-165H6S - Retail
Model #: SHM-165H6S
Item #: N82E16827106015 $35.25 $35.25

Update Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM
Model #: N09-01991
Item #: N82E16832116056 $89.99 $89.99

Update Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Model #: ARCTIC SILVER 5
Item #: N82E16835100007 $5.99 $5.99

Update Scythe SCMN-1000 100mm Sleeve CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
Model #: SCMN-1000
Item #: N82E16835185023 $34.99 $34.9

The cooler and AC5 is for overclocking though it will be my first time so I'll go slow. It seemed to make sense to have the insurance of good cooling to attempt this rather than trying to do this with the stock cooler.

More about : ready buy problems

October 15, 2006 6:16:53 PM

There are some issues in my opinion. I don't know why you are buying a 7600gt given the other components, unless you are planning to upgrade when directx 10 comes out. There are oem versions of Windows XP professional at $50. Zalman apparently has a better thermal compound with a brush applicator for $4 more. I have not heard of the fan, but it's probably okay. Because you are not using the original fan, I am guessing you are planning on overclocking. In that case, I have no idea why you didn't select faster ram. pc2 6400 is only a minor amount more expensive.
Related resources
October 15, 2006 6:34:07 PM

Well actually with the rebate the ram is $175 so it's quite a bit cheaper than PC2 6400 from what I can tell.

I was going to get a better card but I realized that I don't play any of the games shown in the TH guides on Vcards. So I doubt I will take advantage of the power of a 7900GTO or X1900XT and I can save ~150 after rebate. If the DX10 cards come around and look good I can upgrade in a year or two from now or so when there are DX10 games available.

I haven't seen XP for $50 I'll have to check around. I got all the pricing from Newegg. In general their prices are good and they have a good return policy. The cooling fan was recommended by others over an AC7 which was my original choice and only $5 more. Same with the AC5, that's the one recommended by most people here and over at anandtech.

Thanks for your thoughts!
October 15, 2006 9:19:30 PM

If you are getting the cheaper ram, there is no point in overclocking. Adjusting the fsb / ram ratio will cause the system to perform poorly. It's not a bad idea to save money, just drop the fan and thermal paste. That way you can take advantage of intel's 3 year warranty.

a computer is a large purchase, maybe you should consider waiting a few months for vista and directx 10? then you can skip the xp purchase and the graphics card.
October 15, 2006 9:39:04 PM

Quote:
There are oem versions of Windows XP professional at $50.
Where? 8O :?: :D 
October 15, 2006 9:46:05 PM

If I were to spend $145 for a GIGABYTE mobo I would rather go for an ASUS. I can see that the 7600GT video card is cheap, $133, but it's never good for gaming. If you are seeking low-end video card then just get an ATI, the graphics are better and it runs faster. Otherwise for gaming I suggest the high-end nVidia like the 7900/7950 GTO, GTX, GX2.

OKAY, so it's the price issue I know. Well get SLI - Dual-EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GTO, they are cheap now (rebate offered by eVGA) and they run fast!

You know if you don't play games it's still good to have performance video cards for applications like in graphics design, computer science, especially for running applications like Adobe; better yet for Windows Vista.

Good GPU(s) will definitely reduce CPU load and thus your system will run faster.
October 15, 2006 10:09:39 PM

"you are seeking low-end video card then just get an ATI, the graphics are better and it runs faster" - absolutely not. ati's midrange is worse than nvidia's. It is $120, not $133.

I thought I saw xp for $50 but I guess not. It's for $80 at
http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?mast...

sorry

i don't really pay attention because i get software for $13 - shipping cost only - from our university and linux is always free
October 15, 2006 10:22:43 PM

The only thing I would change is the cooler. Buy a Artic Freezer Pro 7, dirt cheap and gives beeter cooling then Zalman and Scythe.
October 15, 2006 10:53:08 PM

Get the Xeon 3040 instead of the E6400; it has 4MB of L2 cache, 1.86GHz clockspeed, LGA775, and costs $20 less.
October 15, 2006 11:30:58 PM

The only oem versions of Windows Xp are the ones that you can get on Ebay that are UPGRADE versions.

This, AND, you have to be very lucky in terms of bidding.
Most end up going somewhere in the mid to upper 60 range.

Just remember, if you are going to use the upgrade version, you need to have the correct old windows disc to install it on a clean drive.
October 15, 2006 11:57:11 PM

Quote:
The only thing I would change is the cooler. Buy a Artic Freezer Pro 7, dirt cheap and gives beeter cooling then Zalman and Scythe.

I read the opposite elsewhere. I was going to get the AF7 but it jumped from 25-30 making it only $5 less than the Mine. And there were some issues.

Quote:
OKAY, so it's the price issue I know. Well get SLI - Dual-EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GTO, they are cheap now (rebate offered by eVGA) and they run fast!

Well $253 isn't exactly cheap compared to $133 with a $20 rebate. The arguement of a good GPU reducing the CPU time is interesting...any data?

Quote:
a computer is a large purchase, maybe you should consider waiting a few months for vista and directx 10? then you can skip the xp purchase and the graphics card.

I'm betting Vista won't be a major player for a couple of years. Companies and individuals will stick with the established system of XP and software makers will have to support it. Ditto for DX10, which in addition will be high end to start and I probably have a couple of years.

Let me point out that I am typing this on a 1.4Gig Thunderbird with a Fx5200 GPU and a 40Gig HD. Right now this is still sufficient for me but things are beginning to show signs of wear and the last computer I had blew up (yes a buff of smoke) and I lost everything on it. I'd like to have a new one before this happens.

I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to get better (but less RAM) and wait till the prices drop. I suspect that 1G will be more than sufficient for what I do with a computer (no plans to go out and by a bunch of high powered Games, NWN2 is the only one that I probably will since I'm involved in a NWN PW)

Lastly this is the second time I've seen a post about the Xeon. Why is no one talking them up if they are a good buy for the consumer market?
October 16, 2006 12:08:55 AM

If you're trying to cut corners for cost definately drop the HSF. The low end C2Ds are known to OC quite decently with stock cooler. To get significant gains over the stock cooler requires liquid or heat-pump. You can get coolers that are both better and quieter though, if quiet is a concern for you.

Also, you certainly can skip out on half the ram safely for some time. I would also highly encourage you to NOT get vista until there is some reason you think you really need it. It's a memory hog, and it's will run slower. Unless there is some application that only runs on Vista that you want to run, or some feature of Vista that you feel you cannot live without just don't buy it and don't buy the extra RAM.

RAM compatibility is easy and handled automatically by your BIOS based on the SPD information it reads from the cards. You could, in fact, put four different RAM cards of different speeds and sizes in your system, fire it up, and it will work fine. However, it will run all the ram at the speed reported by the slowest card and you won't have dual channel.

Unless you do all the research to pick your RAM out by the specific chips on it, just buy the faster RAM and underclock it a little to match your FSB.

I reccomend you get a single 1gb stick of DDR2-800. The performance will be slightly less without dual-channel, but it's not that big of a difference and especially with a slower GFX card I don't think it will be a problem. If you need more RAM you can buy a second stick of DDR2-800 with at least as good of timings as the first stick and put it in and enable dual-channel for a small performance boost as well. Hopefully the prices will have gone down by then also. The worst that will happen is that it will be unhappy about running them in dual-channel mode if they are different, but it should work fine. "Dual Channel" ram kits are kind of an artifact from when dual channel DDR first came out and it was a little buggy and sometimes overly picky about ram you used. The ram is exactly the same, they just ran it through one extra test to ensure that it works in dual channel. If you're worried you could just buy the same configuration of the same chip as the first stick specced for the same speed as the first, but I wouldn't worry about it.
October 16, 2006 2:10:38 AM

great advice, I mentioned the DDR2 800 instead of the slower type as well.

I guess you're right about vista. DirectX 10 might do well though. The DirectX 10 cards should be faster and DirectX 9 anyway.
October 16, 2006 3:18:07 AM

Thanks Flasher702

This is pretty much in line with what I was thinking (get 1 G and wait) but I hadn't got confirmation until now.

In reality the money is not such a big deal (I'm not a poor college student I have a good job and am comfortable), but I hate spending more than I need too (I'm cheap) and hate it more when a month later everything is half price.

Unfortunately that is the reality of semiconductors (I work in the industry so am all too familiar with the price cutting etc).

So my main goal is to get a system that will last as long as possible. That way if I spend $200 more it doesn't matter so much because the system lasted 2 years longer. Reliability means more in that regard.
October 16, 2006 3:51:45 PM

what's the consensus on this memory?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231098
G-Skill 2X1G PC2-6400 $224 after rebate
or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145015
Corsair XMS2 PC2-5400 220 after mir

I'm now leaning back towards getting the system I originally intended instead of cutting corners for cost.

GPU eVGA 7900 GTO (over the X1900XT due to heat and noise concerns)

You only live once right :D 

Still looking for a recommendation on Active PFC vs Modular cabling too
October 16, 2006 10:52:41 PM

It's done with the XMS2 memory and the GTO card.

The next things I'll be posting with probably be something like

HELP 8O :evil: 

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone
October 16, 2006 11:50:54 PM

Modular cabling is nice because it helps keep the inside of your computer neat. It isn't totally necessary but it is nice to have and isn't to hard to find.

Active PFC. Again this isn't to hard to find and you should get it if you can.
October 17, 2006 5:12:25 PM

Quote:
It's done with the XMS2 memory and the GTO card.

The next things I'll be posting with probably be something like

HELP 8O :evil: 

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone

What/where did you buy? How much did you pay for it? Inquiring minds want to know.
October 17, 2006 7:44:39 PM

Quote:

What/where did you buy? How much did you pay for it? Inquiring minds want to know.

The Memory from Fry's.com $199.99 + tax and shipping. There is supposed to be a rebate but when I tried to print it out last night it was gone (and so was the memory...sold out?). Emailed Fry's.

Everything else from Newegg.

Looks like I should have most (hopefully all) components buy this weekend so I can start assembly and cursing :p  .

All tolled ~$1350 including tax and shipping. Not too bad. I could have waited a few months and probably saved a couple of hundred or I could have gone with a lesser system and gotten the same savings. If it lasts 5 years like the last one it doesn't make much difference.

And I'm still saving from what it would have cost to go and buy a complete system (1st time builder here).
February 15, 2007 3:14:54 PM

Quote:
If I were to spend $145 for a GIGABYTE mobo I would rather go for an ASUS.

It is irrelevant which brand he'll choose, Gigabyte or Asus. Both DS3 & P5B-E have same chipset, same onboard features, same performance (+-0.3%) and both are excellent OC-ers. The quality is on the DS3 side. It has solid capacitors, so it is the way to go!

Quote:
I can see that the 7600GT video card is cheap, $133, but it's never good for gaming.
Depends of the kind of games he is going to play! For WoW types of games it is more than enough! And the OP said he don't needs hes PC for gaming, so 7600GT might be just too good for him.
Quote:
If you are seeking low-end video card then just get an ATI, the graphics are better and it runs faster.[/qupte]What ATI? What model are you comparing to 7600GT!
For your information, there is no ATi card that is faster for the same money as 7600GT or cheaper, but performing same.

Quote:
Otherwise for gaming I suggest the high-end nVidia like the 7900/7950 GTO, GTX, GX2.
These are not high end graphics cards . Have you heard about 8800GTX, 8800GTS, 8600GTS, X1950, X1900?

Quote:
A very bad recommendation and bad idea. He'll need a SLI mainboard, which cost more than non-SLI. A 8800GTX outperforms the two 7900GTO in SLI, costs same and doesn't need a SLI mainboard.

Quote:
You know if you don't play games it's still good to have performance video cards for applications like in graphics design, computer science, especially for running applications like Adobe; better yet for Windows Vista.
BS!
Adobe doesn't need and doesn't utilize 3D graphics accelerator!
The same is with science software! For such purposes, there is no difference in performance between PCI SVGA with 2MB and two 8800GTX in SLI.
What graphics design applications?
Only applications which utilize DX or OGL might have benefit of fast gprahics card.
And for Vista, ti runs smooth with GeForce 7600GT at highest resolution with hundreds of windows opened!

Quote:
Good GPU(s) will definitely reduce CPU load and thus your system will run faster.
BS.
!