PCMCIA wireless network card with external antenna ?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi,
I am looking for a PCMCIA wireless network card (802.11G) for a laptop, with
an external antenna connector . Which models provide this option?

The purpose is to extend range when using my laptop in my car. I don't want
to use an external bridge or router (I need portability).

I'didn't find any model on D-Link, SMC or Linksys web sites, bot some people
told me they have seen this... but don't remember where!

thanks.
------------------------
Daniel
Montréal (Pierrefonds), Québec, Canada
8 answers Last reply
More about pcmcia wireless network card external antenna
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/11bgpccard/

    "ve2bap" <ve2bap@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a PCMCIA wireless network card (802.11G) for a laptop,
    > with
    > an external antenna connector . Which models provide this option?
    >
    > The purpose is to extend range when using my laptop in my car. I don't
    > want
    > to use an external bridge or router (I need portability).
    >
    > I'didn't find any model on D-Link, SMC or Linksys web sites, bot some
    > people
    > told me they have seen this... but don't remember where!
    >
    > thanks.
    > ------------------------
    > Daniel
    > Montréal (Pierrefonds), Québec, Canada

  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Buffalo Technology WLICBG54A
    External 2.4GHz antenna ready; supports Type II or Type III slot
    elmer
    http://wireless.binarywolf.com/faq.htm
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    -----
    elmer
    http://wireless.binarywolf.com/faq.htm
  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    ve2bap wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a PCMCIA wireless network card (802.11G) for a laptop, with
    > an external antenna connector . Which models provide this option?
    >
    > The purpose is to extend range when using my laptop in my car. I don't want
    > to use an external bridge or router (I need portability).
    >
    > I'didn't find any model on D-Link, SMC or Linksys web sites, bot some people
    > told me they have seen this... but don't remember where!
    >
    > thanks.
    > ------------------------
    > Daniel
    > Montréal (Pierrefonds), Québec, Canada

    Senao makes a good card. (NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2) Also sold as engenius at
    places

    http://www.senao.com/english/product/product_wireless01_outdoor_1.asp?tp1id=02&tp2id=07&proid=000033

    Can find them on ebay as well for a good price.
  5. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    ve2bap wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a PCMCIA wireless network card (802.11G) for a laptop, with
    > an external antenna connector . Which models provide this option?
    >
    > The purpose is to extend range when using my laptop in my car. I don't want
    > to use an external bridge or router (I need portability).
    >
    > I'didn't find any model on D-Link, SMC or Linksys web sites, bot some people
    > told me they have seen this... but don't remember where!
    >
    > thanks.
    > ------------------------
    > Daniel
    > Montréal (Pierrefonds), Québec, Canada

    Depending on what you are trying to do you may be better with a
    directional antenna (yagi or even small panel) instead on the omni in
    the kit your looking at. Omni's are good for wardriving I think but if
    you are just looking to access a hotspot from the car a directional may
    get you better signal. I think you could put togeather something for the
    same price as that kit. Again check out ebay, do a search for Senao and
    you will see plenty of stuff. Also some Orinoco cards have an external
    jack. I have an Orinoco Silver that works great.
  6. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Many thanks for your replies.
    I found this interesting product:
    http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/networking/mobile-wireless-kit.php

    "ve2bap" <ve2bap@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a PCMCIA wireless network card (802.11G) for a laptop,
    with
    > an external antenna connector . Which models provide this option?
    >
    > The purpose is to extend range when using my laptop in my car. I don't
    want
    > to use an external bridge or router (I need portability).
    >
    > I'didn't find any model on D-Link, SMC or Linksys web sites, bot some
    people
    > told me they have seen this... but don't remember where!
  7. i had exactly the same problem on my boat and went for the bufallo with a mc port from here http://www.faculty-x.net/wli-cb-g54s-3.htm

    they also did the antenna to match.
  8. dear

    CHECK THIS WEBSITE http://reboots.g-cipher.net/projects/card/index.html

    IT HAS A PCMCIA WIRELESS NETWORK CARD WITH AN OPTIONAL OF EXTENDING OUTDOOR ANTENNA.

    HITESH
    UGANDA

Laptops Wireless Network PCMCIA Wireless Networking Product