Playing a ancient DOS game

When I bought a XP computer (emachines 1860) two years ago I was very
disappointed that I couldn't play my favorite game "Masters of Orion". It
said it needed at least 1024bytes of expanded memory, and no settings would
help. A number of people on the inet said they hadn't succeeded either, so
I settled for playing ocassionally on my laptop.

Last week I bought a new computer (emachines 2880) and just for the heck of
it I tried MOO on it. After giving it some expanded memory and setting it
for W95 compatibility, it ran fine. I tried the old computer again,
thinking maybe SP2 helped somehow, but it gives the same old error message.

Why on earth can I play on one XPhome system, but not on another?
2 answers Last reply
More about playing ancient game

    I'm not sure if this is related, but I have had a few old programs complain
    about not enough memory - once after I added 512MB to my machine!
    I found that changing my pagefile size (up or down) sometimes would make these
    programs work. I think that some older programs may calculate the available
    memory using too small of an integer size, then the number overflows, and
    looks like a smaller number.

    For what it is worth, my son plays MOO on XP Pro, with 256MB of memory.
    I can't remember for sure, not having time to play such games anymore myself,
    but MOO was a DOS program - MOO2 has a DOS and a Windows version on the same
    CD (and is complicated enough to look more like work than fun to me).

    John wrote:
    > When I bought a XP computer (emachines 1860) two years ago I was very
    > disappointed that I couldn't play my favorite game "Masters of Orion". It
    > said it needed at least 1024bytes of expanded memory, and no settings would
    > help. A number of people on the inet said they hadn't succeeded either, so
    > I settled for playing ocassionally on my laptop.
    >
    > Last week I bought a new computer (emachines 2880) and just for the heck of
    > it I tried MOO on it. After giving it some expanded memory and setting it
    > for W95 compatibility, it ran fine. I tried the old computer again,
    > thinking maybe SP2 helped somehow, but it gives the same old error message.
    >
    > Why on earth can I play on one XPhome system, but not on another?

    A shot in the dark: Does the older machine happen to have a Celeron
    CPU, while the newer machine, on which the game runs, have something
    better? I have seen early Celeron machines balk at properly running
    older, DOS-based apps that required extended memory, while Pentium
    machines would run the apps without problem.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm