Sign in with
Your question

Audigy2 ZS or X-Fi XtremeMusic ?!

Last response: in Components
October 15, 2006 6:40:57 PM

A lot of my friends say they can bearly hear any difference between the two.. and the X-Fi XtremeMusic reviews i read gave similar views: "if u already own a Audigy 2 ZS; unless u have the money, there isn't really a need for an upgrade"

so, is there really a need to pay US$40 more for the X-Fi XtremeMusic?? The spec seems to be almost completely similar.. In terms of PRICE vs PERFORMANCE which would u recommend?

*please don't be bias :wink:

More about : audigy2 xtrememusic

October 15, 2006 9:50:45 PM

hi.
i i understand correct you want buy a new card.
if u already own an audigy 2zs there is no need why buy the x-fi xtreme music.
propably u and most the people does not note the differnce in sound.
but if you wanna buy one of these 2
i suggest you buy the x-fi.
October 17, 2006 8:28:48 AM

Even if there is not much difference in the sound quality, the X-Fi is still better anyway becuase it gives you high quality sound but it doesnt slow youre machine down as much becuase its the fastet audio proccessor available. A real bonus if youre a games enthusiast.
Related resources
October 17, 2006 9:02:31 AM

The X-Fi Xtremem Music is a great card, but if you get one make sure it's a retail version NOT an OEM - creatives support boards are PLAGUED by people who can't get OEM cards working.
October 18, 2006 1:49:17 AM

Just be careful if you intend to buy the X-Fi series... There have been a lot of compatibility issues reported about this card. It's supposed to be their premier line, and if you get it working, it truly is... on the other hand, if you have an nForce chipset mobo, you can run into real problems (especially gaming)

I really want to get the X-Fi XtremeMusic, but I still don't know if things have been resolved or not. If you hear of a positive update on this issue please let me know.

The following is an excerpt from a customer review on amazon.com:

"Pros: Perfect sound, solved resampling issues

Cons: famous popping/crackling noises makes it useless for gaming, especially in BF2 (which use OpenAL by Creative). Crystallizer is useless.

This card has the most advanced sound processor which does not work on at least 20% of high end systems, not only NVidia NForce 4 chipset, but also with other AMD and Intel CPU motherboards: see Google for "X-Fi popping/crackling". Even if you do not have in game crackling immediately, you have a good chance to get it after any memory or HD upgrade or driver configuration change. For long time Creative denied existence of this problem. Eventually it was recognized (see official CL forums) and a new driver (since November 2005!) was promised at the end of May 2006, but beta version published 05/30/06 did not solve my problem. In the case of old audigy 2 zs the problem was solved with unofficial "hacked" drivers. I suspect that X-Fi crackling is an architecture design flow, which cannot be completely solved at software level, because PCI bus cannot provide sufficient memory access for the "the fastest sound processor" simultaneously with high end graphic card, HD controller, and other devices
."
October 18, 2006 2:29:53 AM

I agree, ithe X-fi is a great card but somewhat overkill, the best feature is the crystalizer, works fine on my abit kn8-sli
October 23, 2006 11:52:10 AM

how about the audigy 2? I don't mind getting it.. it has much more awards than the X-Fi.. even if it is older, i really just need a sound card that deliever great sound with music, games, movies..

btw, am i right to say this:
NO onboard sound can match the audigy 2.
October 23, 2006 12:06:31 PM

I went from a 2zs to an xfi xtrememusic recently, and I should say very reluctantly as I was not expecting much difference.

Well I was wrong. Difference was quite noticable, I was hearing things that were missing from the 2zs, far more detailed, esp in music. Games were excellent as well, though I couldnt tell much difference here.

From what I understand, the xfi problems were mostly in the earlier versions. I have a revised version with the heat sink. So far its been operating flawlessly, I hope it stays that way.
October 23, 2006 12:20:51 PM

I have the X-Fi Extreme Music, and its just remarkable. In all fairness, I've never tried the Audiology product, but if most folks can't tell the difference, it'll be remarkable too even if it only works 80% as well.
October 23, 2006 12:51:04 PM

I know this is not a popular POV but it just makes sense to me if buying a soundcard, with gaming in mind, to get something in the X-Fi family right now. The cards are not relatively that expensive...starting @ $90 for an Extreme Gamer that has a 15% faster APU than even its gold-jacked Extreme Music, yet costs notably less. The X-Fi series family of cards seems to be just about the best Jack-of-all-trades there is, right now and their analog output is very very strong, if not among the best ...especially for the investment.

Many gamers are putting together rigs that cost over $1K but feel that a $100 soundcard is unjustified. To each their own, and since I'm not a gamer perhaps the reality really is that great audio quality is truly unimportant to the gaming experience.

I understand that money does not grow upon trees and if you have to cut corners you have to cut corners. ...but to spend $250+ on a video card and feel that ~$90 is too much to spend on a audio card and look for the cheapest speakers seems...kinda weird. Just remember the X-Fi's support EAX5 which is 128 voices vs. 64 voices for everything else...doesn't that add up to better positional audio and, therefore, knowing where thy enemy is located quicker in games...or am I just writing out of my backside?
October 23, 2006 1:01:03 PM

Quote:
I went from a 2zs to an xfi xtrememusic recently, and I should say very reluctantly as I was not expecting much difference.

Well I was wrong. Difference was quite noticable, I was hearing things that were missing from the 2zs, far more detailed, esp in music. Games were excellent as well, though I couldnt tell much difference here.

From what I understand, the xfi problems were mostly in the earlier versions. I have a revised version with the heat sink. So far its been operating flawlessly, I hope it stays that way.

well i'll trust ur words.

So, would u say the Xtreme Music is the most worth it of all the XFi cards?
October 23, 2006 1:04:05 PM

I'd say you would do well with a new X-Fi Extreme Gamer and just take it up to the Extreme Music if those gold output jacks are really important to you. Given that the ExtremeGamer is stated as being 15% faster than the earlier generation X-Fi kits it seems like more gaming bang for less gaming buck.
October 23, 2006 2:42:07 PM

X-Fi Extreme Gamer does look interesting. I overlooked it due to just lumping it with the other new budget x-fi's as maybe missing something (the xfi xtreme audio for example doesnt support hardware EAX), but the Extreme Gamer does support it as well as EAX 5. So yes, you may want to look into it as it looks like the best bargain of the lot.
October 23, 2006 4:33:19 PM

maybe it came out just for me. :D  i'm on tight budget

anyway, can this extrme gamer deliever the same performance as the xtreme music for movies and music?
October 23, 2006 5:19:44 PM

if u dont have an audigy2(zs) then get an x-fi... simple as that.

the extra ~$30-$50 wont kill u, and u will have peace of mind knowing you didnt get an "outdated" piece of hardware (even tho its by no means outdated)
October 23, 2006 5:21:39 PM

I've not seen any reviews on this card yet...it's that new, so I won't purport to know if it sounds better or worse. ...but logic would dictate that Creative would work to maintain or improve the X-Fi's, not scraw them up. ...but logic doesn't always dictate, does it? ...just kidding, their audio specs are identical so they likely sound the same.

Were it me, I'd prolly go for an XtremeMusic or an XtremeGamer FPS (just for the gold connectors and/or the software DD/DTS decoding that is bundled with all the new cards. X-Ram might be really useful one day soon, though it doesn't currenty seem so now. You're likely less of an knuckle-head than I and can see the value in the XtremeGamer standard-edition over the FPS.
October 25, 2006 1:16:18 PM

i'll wait for the benchmarks then.
!