Xbox 360 Internal Liquid Cooling Project

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well I have been wanting to get an x360 for a while now but i wasnt willing to spend a ton of money on them, I happened to get one on ebay for around 320$ because someone did a bid retraction last minute so that made me win for this cheap price.

Requirements:
-All Internal

-Temperature monitors for both CPU & GPU

-Car grade paint job or close too/ with rattle can... Maybe Color change like suggested by Chuckshissle.

-Tinted Window? Maybe clear not sure yet.

-Leds or Cold cathodes

-Ram Chips on motherboard need heatsinks.

-Window in CD Drive Case.

-Window in hard drive maybe... so you can see the arm move. (Not sure if i can pull this off i might omit this later)

-Window on Motherboard side to show off back of the board, then leds to light it up.

-Use a 80mm Radiator instead of going big like other people, there is no sense its not like you can overclock a 360 i want more of the inside to show.

Other thoughts & hardware i was thinking about getting:

Swiftech MC14 Memory Cooling Heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835108071

ZALMAN ZM-OP1 80mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118212

Thermaltake Silent Water Liquid Cooling System
http://xoxide.com/thermaltake-silentwater-lcs.html

Just wondering if all this would work good... Im having problems finding a low profile 80mm radiator, any help would be great.

The reason i thought the thermaltake kit is good is its VERY small, it even has a little reservoir. And it does 97 L/hr which is plenty for an xbox I think.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome :D
Ill try to do a update everyday or couple days as progress moves along.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You should paint the radiators, fan, pump, and the rest of the components with the metallic blue. That way it would match up with the 360 and wouldn't look as if it doesn't belong with the console. You can even wrap the tubing with the color of your chioce. That would be one good looking 360, with the external cooling unit, sticking out on it's side.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Yeah thats a excellent Idea, yeah just prime everything and then do the same paint job on everything.

About the cooling being external, i think i will disasemble the thermaltake bigwater and use the parts individialy i just figured it would save money and the componets are very small.

I might have to invest into a new radiator cause i think the thermaltake one is to wide when mounted in the window i think.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
man when you get that all done post some pics.

i would love to see it :D

Yeah once i get the console ill update it like a guide step by step, later ill write a guide so yeah lots of pics and stuff.

your not going to buy my water cooling set

Oh sorry heh, what do you use? Maybe i can consider it if its small.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Are you planning to place the liquid cooling unit inside the console? That water cooling unit is not that small. I was thinking you would place the radiator and the fan outside. It would look better inside but the oustide rad would provide better cooling. But it really doesn't matter the cpu and gpu of the 360 is not that hot compare to pc.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
If you can't find any small components specially the radiator, you can install the fan and rad outside.

Here, I made a composite of what it would look like with an external rad and fan.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
your not going to buy my water cooling set :(
Well to be honest i wouldn’t be using alot of it cause its too big, you dont realize how much room there is too work with. Also your cpu cooler isnt low profile enough.

Are you planning to place the liquid cooling unit inside the console? That water cooling unit is not that small. I was thinking you would place the radiator and the fan outside. It would look better inside but the outside rad would provide better cooling. But it really doesn't matter the cpu and gpu of the 360 is not that hot compare to pc.
Yeah i really dont want anything outside because that just brings down the purpose of the mod, if i would do that i can just buy a kit and set it next to the x360. So yeah i would prefer to avoid that. About the cooling i would THINK (not sure) that even a 80mm rad would be able to handle a 360, i will end up getting a 120 i think though cause there more slim.

If you can't find any small components specially the radiator, you can install the fan and rad outside.

Here, I made a composite of what it would look like with an external rad and fan.
You rule man, thanks i might fall back onto that composite should i fail (which i wont :D) Personally i think there will be enough room to fit the entire thing into the console with a little modding.

Nice concept drawing.

If you go that rought be sure to have it closer to the ground. Other wise you will tip the unit over. Wink
Lol yeah no joke i saw that flaw in the drawing also, still a SWEET drawing :)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I know the concept drawing sports a much bigger fan and radiator, yeah, it could tip over. :lol: I have research Xbox 360 mods are using koolance water blocks for the cpu and gpu of the console. I'm sure we could find a thinner radiator and fan.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I know the concept drawing sports a much bigger fan and radiator, yeah, it could tip over. :lol: I have research Xbox 360 mods are using koolance water blocks for the cpu and gpu of the console. I'm sure we could find a thinner radiator and fan.

Yeah my research shows that too, there is nothing smaller then the koolance video card one.

Also it will help a ton sense when i finally get the console i can take measurements.

I was thinking this for GPU & CPU.
GPU-180-H06 (Vid)
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=87

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
How about this one? It's rotating nozzle able you to directionaly change it, so no interference on whatever mounting setup you want, but I trust you have a place on how you'll going to install the water block of your choice.

Also for the radiator, the only one I could find with the lowest profile that re readily avialable is the DangerDen 120mm Stealth rads, about half thinner than regular rads.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I was just wondering some feedback on this idea.

Imagine its a window and you can see the harddrive and there is Xbox 360 Etched into it. And Blue LEDs behind the glass. (removable hd sense some might not know)

hd_200x3602.JPG

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Do you know how much is in that component and how much voltage does is use. I'm sure it would be enough for a small led lights. But finding out the power wires would be the first thing to do. I don't even know if the hd get's constant power running during the console is running or only when the hd is in use.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Yeah if its not always in use, i would have to have a Male plug on the Removable hd and a female on the console body so when the hd is pluged in its getting power from the fan wires in the xbox. Thats i think a easier route sense i have no voltameter which i think ill get just so i can really mod it, its really a handy tool im sure.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
verry nice idea! I've bookmarked it!
does a 360 come with extra molex plugs so you can put cold cathodes and other additions to the xbox?!
I think there is one molex, but even if there is not ill make a molex cable from the fan wires or from the cd drive power wire.

Ill give more details on it once i get the xbox. It will all work out :)

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well small update on whats going on.
I got the paints ill do it like this because some paints are not plastic compatible but they are guess what paint compatible so just a light fusion coat and there just peachy and throw the normal krylon on that.

Another thing, the money order took longer then i thought to get to the seller on ebay so he/she hasnt even received it yet. So that means another week till i have it...DAMMM huh? Anyways sit tight guys ill gather some supplies as i find cash :D
-mike / shata

Paints.jpg

Above i got (from left to right)
[Type-Model number-Color/Fancy name - Amount bought]

NON-FUSION
KRYLON
Primer - 1318 All Purpose Primer Gray x2
Semi-Flat - 1613 Semi Flat Black x1
Crystal Clear[Clear coat] - 1301 Crystal Clear Gloss x3

FUSION[Plastic Paint]
KRYLON
Satin - 2420 Satin White x1