Has anyone OCed a Core 2 Duo till it failed?

Would you do it if you had the money to do so?

• Hells yeah, that''s the point

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Are you nuts? Stay within the limits of the chip.

Votes: 26 44.8%

• Total voters
The thread title is pretty self explanatory, I just wan to know if any of us has pushed the Core 2 to the point where it just won't work anymore.
I'd like to know if you have, if you would, where was the limit and what you think the limit for the Core 2 Duo is.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
i wouldn't overclock it to the max even if i had the memory because i dont have the money :( to ensure that if i did fry the processor i could go out and buy another.

Though If i did have the money, perhaps yes, i would:), I guess the max overclock would be somewhere around 5.5~6ghz, due to the short(er) pipeline....

------

I'm getting an intel e6600! yey! Tomorrow! (and zalman 7700alcu) :D

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Haven't reached a limit cuz I haven't really pushed it to it's maximum. I've pushed it to 4.7GHz but not more. I just have bad memories of Northwood SDS (Sudden Death Syndrom) that was caused by electrical migration.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Happens for Core2 at beyond 1.55V which starts going at an unacceptable rate once 1.675V is reached.
Damn Intel built its protection from n00bz too well.

Not sure it's an intended Intel protection though. At least with Intel CPU's you know their process technology is superior to SOI. I mean Intel processors overclock like crazy where as AMD processors are always sorta near their limits.

If you look at it, although Intel Shrunk the amount of pipelines in the C2D as compared to the Prescott it still overclocks nearly as well as a Netburst processor.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The thread title is pretty self explanatory, I just wan to know if any of us has pushed the Core 2 to the point where it just won't work anymore.
I'd like to know if you have, if you would, where was the limit and what you think the limit for the Core 2 Duo is.
I wouldn't want to see how high it will go before death, because there's no gaurantee that the replacement chip will overclock to near the same speed....which could lead to 2 dead chips. I guess if i was a millionaire, maybe it would be interesting. :?

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
one question, are you rich by any chance? or do you just have rich parents OR do just spend loadsa money on computers and have a good job :D:D:D ?

lol

kinda, yes, yes, no... :lol:
I love this stuff as much as the next dude. I just try not to be the typical rich pamby boy that forgets where his roots are and needs to get his ass knocked back to earth.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hmmm if I had a core2 cpu......................I am not that big into over clocking. When I do over clock....and I have, it is usually near the end of the usefullness of the cpu to get extra power out of it.

Ninja I assume that you mean you want to over clock a core2 cpu to its workable limit or over clock it until it fries?

I have always hoped that that Tom's would do an overclock CPU chart. One chart air cooled the other cooled by other means.

It seemes to me that intell cpu's do overclock better than AMD cpu's but they don't seem to give you the same boost per overclock as an overclocked AMD cpu. Core2 being the exception.

Try Google I am sure you can find plenty of over clocking info on the core2 chips. I took a look and there were numerous articles.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
YOU. ARE. GOD.
No Wusy is. I am merely his humble prophet and priest. Bow to the temple of Wusy.... Ohmmmm.

Don't you try and take my position you jerk! I will lay the smack down on your ass!!!! lol j/k

In any case, I will get a C2D and I will OC it until something fails. Then I will repeat, compensating for the broken hardware. I have an audit internship coming, so I will definitely be able to afford a C2D, I am thinking E6600, maybe 6700 + RD600 (ty wusy) + TEC cooling.

I don't know the meaning of limits other than it is my job to break them 8O

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Because it is cheaper, and more adaptable. I am in college so I have to prioritize. the incremental cost of peltier over already existing water is much smaller then a complete redesign off of phase change, and that is my main concern, cost.

Edit: nice location... got any spare liquid nitrogen I can have?

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Yeah, that's fine. I was hoping somebody would push a C2D on phase change and provide some numbers here.

Nope, no LN, but I do have an unlimited supply of R404a...

BTW: Which peltier device are you using?

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I think the scarcity of stories about fried C2D's comes from two factors.

1) For a given cooling method, there's a certain voltage beyond which you can't seem to stabilize higher frequencies. As you keep increasing the voltage, sometimes the overclock worsens, which tells you at once not to keep increasing voltage. The chip continues to operate at peak frequency at this optimal voltage, and even if the peak wears down a few percent due to overheating, it's still not a dead chip.

2) C2D has only been out for a few months, and most purchases are even more recent. Overclockers are careful to monitor temperatures, as you need a certain combination of voltage and temperature for a chip to slowly deteriorate. There may already exist such conditions, but we'll need time for the reports to start coming in.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I am going to use a switchtech TEC, MCW5002-775T™ LIQUID COOLED THERMOELECTRIC ASSEMBLY FOR INTEL® PENTIUM® 4 (LGA775) PROCESSORS probably. It should provide much better cooling than water, of course much better is a relative term.

Talk to me around Christmas time... it should be broken by then :tongue:

What is R404a.... sounds dangerous and something I want to be a part of.

-3lfk1ng

Those are kinda weak peltiers.... the really good ones are just a copper square with bare leads and require an entirely separate PSU to power it. I am looking to stick a nice 226w peltier on my C2D, and it may get cranked up beyond 240w, if I get a meanwell PSU with voltage adjustment.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I'll be only buying the parts. The actual construction/gasing will be done by an AC repair company.
I've briefly looked into equipment required for building a phasechange without help, minimum safety and it ain't cheap...

Known Target: 1/10th of commercial phasechange price with better performance

Isn't it worth just avoiding all the hassle and get an astek vapochill ls?

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I'll be only buying the parts. The actual construction/gasing will be done by an AC repair company.
I've briefly looked into equipment required for building a phasechange without help, minimum safety and it ain't cheap...

Known Target: 1/10th of commercial phasechange price with better performance

You've hit the nail on the head! Buying a stock unit like the LS is freakishly expensive, I can get 50,000BTU (sounds crazy!!!) of conventional cooling for that kind of money.

The fact that you've found an AC company to do the build work for you is an ENORMOUS plus. It's not impossible to do it yourself, granted you are familiar with AC equipment, but I know the average PC-enthusiast-slash-college-goer is NO AC technician.

The only thing I DON'T like about phase change is that you will need to eventually refill the unit with new coolant, and as you said, R404a ain't cheap and your compressor must be designed for it. R134a on the other hand I can get for just a few bucks from any auto parts store in ready-to-use cans.

I would look forward to the day where the thermal envelope of CPUs goes back down to the point where phase change cooling won't be required, but I can keep dreaming!!! Currently I'm on phase change, and I'll be staying with it for a while to maximize my investment, but for my next major build I will most likely go over to TEC/water because it is MUCH easier to put together and maintain.

Good luck with your AC build, I hope it exceeds your expectations!!!

Superfly, the Swiftech is an excellent choice, and the kit version comes with the meanwell psu. They build solid products.