Scanned Pics Too Much Memory Or Something Else ?

Hello,

Bought my first scanner and scanned some pics onto my computer for later
printing out. I selected "photo" from scanner wizard.

Pics look fine on computer but for some reason can't get them to print out
with either my Win'98 or XP machine. I think its got something to do with
using too much memory.

Basically I want to print 4 pictures on one A4 page, Irfanview shows image
properties for one of the pictures as:
resolution 1200 * 1200 DPI
Size 3408 * 4480 pixels
print size (from dpi) 7.21 * 9.48cm
disk size 8.95MB
Current Memory Size 43.68 MB

Another image has properties as:
6102 * 6102 DPI
Size 4637 * 5857
Print size from dpi 1.93 * 2.44cm
disk size 8.12MB
Current Memory Size 77.71MB

Obviously I've done something wrong here , how can I change (resample ?)
these images within Irfanview or ACDC. I need the idiots guide. OR have I
got to start again ?

Thanks.

Mike.
3 answers Last reply
More about scanned pics memory

    In article <1092338816.7164.0@lotis.uk.clara.net>, notme_&_here.com says...

    >Hello,
    >
    >Bought my first scanner and scanned some pics onto my computer for later
    >printing out. I selected "photo" from scanner wizard.
    >
    >Pics look fine on computer but for some reason can't get them to print out
    >with either my Win'98 or XP machine. I think its got something to do with
    >using too much memory.
    >
    >Basically I want to print 4 pictures on one A4 page, Irfanview shows image
    >properties for one of the pictures as:
    >resolution 1200 * 1200 DPI
    >Size 3408 * 4480 pixels
    >print size (from dpi) 7.21 * 9.48cm
    >disk size 8.95MB
    >Current Memory Size 43.68 MB
    >
    >Another image has properties as:
    >6102 * 6102 DPI
    >Size 4637 * 5857
    >Print size from dpi 1.93 * 2.44cm
    >disk size 8.12MB
    >Current Memory Size 77.71MB
    >
    >Obviously I've done something wrong here , how can I change (resample ?)
    >these images within Irfanview or ACDC. I need the idiots guide. OR have I
    >got to start again ?

    Mike, I dont know what you are scanning, but how to scan it depends on what
    it is, and what the goal is. However you are creating huge images, and
    possibly didnt mean to do that (probably excessive resolution).

    The printable area of A4 paper is no more than 8x11 inches, so 1/4 of that
    area is maybe 4x5.5 inches, roughly snapshot photo size. You could rescan
    them more appropriately sized for the goal. How to do that depends on what
    it is - how large it is now - the answer is very different for a snapshot
    photo print or say 35 mm film.

    Or you could resample these existing images to about the rough 4 x 5.5
    inches at 300 dpi values. In IrfanView, menu Image - Resize/Resample,
    select cm or inches, and enter the desired final size (the 1/4 page size)
    in cm or inches, AND specify maybe 300 dpi for printing, and then click OK.
    There are other ways and options too.

    Either way, rescan or resample, these 1/4 page images at 300 dpi will be
    around 6MB memory size each.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

    Mike wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Bought my first scanner and scanned some pics onto my computer for later
    > printing out. I selected "photo" from scanner wizard.
    >
    > Pics look fine on computer but for some reason can't get them to print out
    > with either my Win'98 or XP machine. I think its got something to do with
    > using too much memory.
    >
    > Basically I want to print 4 pictures on one A4 page, Irfanview shows image
    > properties for one of the pictures as:
    > resolution 1200 * 1200 DPI
    > Size 3408 * 4480 pixels
    > print size (from dpi) 7.21 * 9.48cm
    > disk size 8.95MB
    > Current Memory Size 43.68 MB
    >
    > Another image has properties as:
    > 6102 * 6102 DPI
    > Size 4637 * 5857
    > Print size from dpi 1.93 * 2.44cm
    > disk size 8.12MB
    > Current Memory Size 77.71MB
    >
    > Obviously I've done something wrong here , how can I change (resample ?)
    > these images within Irfanview or ACDC. I need the idiots guide. OR have I
    > got to start again ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mike.

    Have you tried saving the pictures as JPG files rather than BMP files?
    That will greatly reduce the file size.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:27:27 +0100, "Mike" <notme_&_here.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Bought my first scanner and scanned some pics onto my computer for later
    >printing out. I selected "photo" from scanner wizard.

    First, congratulations and it's going to take some time to become
    aquatinted with it.

    >Pics look fine on computer but for some reason can't get them to print out
    >with either my Win'98 or XP machine. I think its got something to do with
    >using too much memory.

    When you get ready to print, check the "print resolution". set the
    printer to 300 dpi. Higher resolution and you'll just use a lot of ink
    if it will print. AT 300 dpi it'll look like a photographic print.

    Some are calling your images large.
    My E20N images are 10 Megs RAW and 16 megs TIFF. My D70 is roughly 5
    to 6 megs for NEF files.

    OTOH I have Nikon LS5000 ED scanner and scan slides and negatives at
    4000 dpi. These files are close to 60 megs each as Tiffs.

    I have an HP 5470c flat bed which I usually run at 300 dpi. It's fast
    and the files are *relatively* small.

    I'd bet that you have the printer resolution up there in the 1200 or
    greater dpi range. Those take forever to print and mainly make for
    soggy paper.

    The 60 meg files printed at 300 dpi as 8 X 10s take about 3 minutes to
    print on glossy paper at the highest quality.

    It's more the dpi and size of the print rather than the original file
    size that has the biggest impact on printing time and the amount of
    memory used. Certainly the file size does have some impact, but not
    nearly as much as the printer resolution when it's set high.

    Good Luck,

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >Basically I want to print 4 pictures on one A4 page, Irfanview shows image
    >properties for one of the pictures as:
    >resolution 1200 * 1200 DPI
    >Size 3408 * 4480 pixels
    >print size (from dpi) 7.21 * 9.48cm
    >disk size 8.95MB
    >Current Memory Size 43.68 MB
    >
    >Another image has properties as:
    >6102 * 6102 DPI
    >Size 4637 * 5857
    >Print size from dpi 1.93 * 2.44cm
    >disk size 8.12MB
    >Current Memory Size 77.71MB
    >
    >Obviously I've done something wrong here , how can I change (resample ?)
    >these images within Irfanview or ACDC. I need the idiots guide. OR have I
    >got to start again ?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Mike.

Scanners Computer Memory Peripherals