Scanned Pics Too Much Memory Or Something Else ?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 13, 2004 12:27:27 AM

Hello,

Bought my first scanner and scanned some pics onto my computer for later
printing out. I selected "photo" from scanner wizard.

Pics look fine on computer but for some reason can't get them to print out
with either my Win'98 or XP machine. I think its got something to do with
using too much memory.

Basically I want to print 4 pictures on one A4 page, Irfanview shows image
properties for one of the pictures as:
resolution 1200 * 1200 DPI
Size 3408 * 4480 pixels
print size (from dpi) 7.21 * 9.48cm
disk size 8.95MB
Current Memory Size 43.68 MB

Another image has properties as:
6102 * 6102 DPI
Size 4637 * 5857
Print size from dpi 1.93 * 2.44cm
disk size 8.12MB
Current Memory Size 77.71MB

Obviously I've done something wrong here , how can I change (resample ?)
these images within Irfanview or ACDC. I need the idiots guide. OR have I
got to start again ?

Thanks.

Mike.

More about : scanned pics memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2004 12:27:28 AM

In article <1092338816.7164.0@lotis.uk.clara.net>, notme_&_here.com says...

>Hello,
>
>Bought my first scanner and scanned some pics onto my computer for later
>printing out. I selected "photo" from scanner wizard.
>
>Pics look fine on computer but for some reason can't get them to print out
>with either my Win'98 or XP machine. I think its got something to do with
>using too much memory.
>
>Basically I want to print 4 pictures on one A4 page, Irfanview shows image
>properties for one of the pictures as:
>resolution 1200 * 1200 DPI
>Size 3408 * 4480 pixels
>print size (from dpi) 7.21 * 9.48cm
>disk size 8.95MB
>Current Memory Size 43.68 MB
>
>Another image has properties as:
>6102 * 6102 DPI
>Size 4637 * 5857
>Print size from dpi 1.93 * 2.44cm
>disk size 8.12MB
>Current Memory Size 77.71MB
>
>Obviously I've done something wrong here , how can I change (resample ?)
>these images within Irfanview or ACDC. I need the idiots guide. OR have I
>got to start again ?

Mike, I dont know what you are scanning, but how to scan it depends on what
it is, and what the goal is. However you are creating huge images, and
possibly didnt mean to do that (probably excessive resolution).

The printable area of A4 paper is no more than 8x11 inches, so 1/4 of that
area is maybe 4x5.5 inches, roughly snapshot photo size. You could rescan
them more appropriately sized for the goal. How to do that depends on what
it is - how large it is now - the answer is very different for a snapshot
photo print or say 35 mm film.

Or you could resample these existing images to about the rough 4 x 5.5
inches at 300 dpi values. In IrfanView, menu Image - Resize/Resample,
select cm or inches, and enter the desired final size (the 1/4 page size)
in cm or inches, AND specify maybe 300 dpi for printing, and then click OK.
There are other ways and options too.

Either way, rescan or resample, these 1/4 page images at 300 dpi will be
around 6MB memory size each.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Mike wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Bought my first scanner and scanned some pics onto my computer for later
> printing out. I selected "photo" from scanner wizard.
>
> Pics look fine on computer but for some reason can't get them to print out
> with either my Win'98 or XP machine. I think its got something to do with
> using too much memory.
>
> Basically I want to print 4 pictures on one A4 page, Irfanview shows image
> properties for one of the pictures as:
> resolution 1200 * 1200 DPI
> Size 3408 * 4480 pixels
> print size (from dpi) 7.21 * 9.48cm
> disk size 8.95MB
> Current Memory Size 43.68 MB
>
> Another image has properties as:
> 6102 * 6102 DPI
> Size 4637 * 5857
> Print size from dpi 1.93 * 2.44cm
> disk size 8.12MB
> Current Memory Size 77.71MB
>
> Obviously I've done something wrong here , how can I change (resample ?)
> these images within Irfanview or ACDC. I need the idiots guide. OR have I
> got to start again ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike.

Have you tried saving the pictures as JPG files rather than BMP files?
That will greatly reduce the file size.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2004 3:19:38 AM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:27:27 +0100, "Mike" <notme_&_here.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Bought my first scanner and scanned some pics onto my computer for later
>printing out. I selected "photo" from scanner wizard.

First, congratulations and it's going to take some time to become
aquatinted with it.

>Pics look fine on computer but for some reason can't get them to print out
>with either my Win'98 or XP machine. I think its got something to do with
>using too much memory.

When you get ready to print, check the "print resolution". set the
printer to 300 dpi. Higher resolution and you'll just use a lot of ink
if it will print. AT 300 dpi it'll look like a photographic print.

Some are calling your images large.
My E20N images are 10 Megs RAW and 16 megs TIFF. My D70 is roughly 5
to 6 megs for NEF files.

OTOH I have Nikon LS5000 ED scanner and scan slides and negatives at
4000 dpi. These files are close to 60 megs each as Tiffs.

I have an HP 5470c flat bed which I usually run at 300 dpi. It's fast
and the files are *relatively* small.

I'd bet that you have the printer resolution up there in the 1200 or
greater dpi range. Those take forever to print and mainly make for
soggy paper.

The 60 meg files printed at 300 dpi as 8 X 10s take about 3 minutes to
print on glossy paper at the highest quality.

It's more the dpi and size of the print rather than the original file
size that has the biggest impact on printing time and the amount of
memory used. Certainly the file size does have some impact, but not
nearly as much as the printer resolution when it's set high.

Good Luck,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

!