Symptom: after copying or moving a file from one directory to another,
i start having some major problems.
1) the applications can't access the file.
2) Can't modify or delete the file through explorer. I get the
following message:

CANNOT ACCESS (filename) : ACCESS DENIED
MAKE SURE THE DISK IS NOT FULL OR WRITE-PROTECTED AND THE FILE IS NOT
CURRENTLY IN USE.

The file is not in use. The files are not checked as read-only. I
have plenty of hard disk space yet and my memory usage is OK.

By the looks of some the messages in the newsgroups, I am not the only
one with this problem. The error doesn't log in the event viewer.
I've searched the Microsoft "Help" site. No help. Has anyone figured
out what to do with this?

could be a couple of things, so here are 4 articles, hopefully one will
help.

How to take ownership of files and folders,

Set, view or change special permissions,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

You cannot delete a file on an NTSF file system,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081

Access denied...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298345