No file->open in Pocket Excel or Pocket Word

February 4, 2005 2:35:34 AM

Am I correct in thinking that the only way to open a spreadsheet or pocket
word doc is through the File Explorer.....?

Si.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:35:35 AM

Si,

When you start Pocket Word, it will present a File Explorer like interface
showing you all the Word files that are available on your device to open.
Same would be true for Pocket Excel.

Does that answer your question or am I missing something?

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Si" <si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> wrote in message
> Am I correct in thinking that the only way to open a spreadsheet or pocket
> word doc is through the File Explorer.....?
>
> Si.

February 4, 2005 3:10:18 AM

That's fine, but how about when you then want to open a different file...?

Si.

"Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!)"
<management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> Si,
>
> When you start Pocket Word, it will present a File Explorer like interface
> showing you all the Word files that are available on your device to open.
> Same would be true for Pocket Excel.
>
> Does that answer your question or am I missing something?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "Si" <si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> wrote in message
>> Am I correct in thinking that the only way to open a spreadsheet or
>> pocket word doc is through the File Explorer.....?
>>
>> Si.

February 4, 2005 3:10:19 AM

first, can't have but one file open at a time... tap the ok and the file
will be saved and drop you at the app's file window.

second, the apps are limited to the "my doucments" folder and one level
below... their file dialogue will show these folders and any files on
storage cards in the same folders there... beyond those folders, you
have to use file explorer to open the files.

Can be confusing when you open a file using file explorer... when you
close it, you are dropped into the app's file window rather than
returned to file explorer.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:08:23 PM

Si wrote:
> Am I correct in thinking that the only way to open a spreadsheet or pocket
> word doc is through the File Explorer.....?

This is why I will not use Microsoft's rubbish Pocket Word software, Si.
Part of the Pocket PC development team are so arrogant in effectively
saying to their users, "You WILL do it our way." I use the excellent
freeware, Pocket Notepad from http://tillansoft.com. It doesn't format
text, but I tend to use my desktop PC to do that anyway.

What's so galling about this is the laughable inconsistency between the
way Microsoft's desktop OSs - such as Xp - do things, and the way they
want to force you into doing something a different way on Pocket PC.
It's a joke. What happens is you get ridiculous kludges like the
"ignore_my_docs" trick, and great little plugins written by clever
non-Microsoft people, such as this one, that replaces the STUPID and
USELESS Microsoft Save As dialog:
http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=752

I cannot think of one single good reason to force users to store all
documents in one folder. Surely people who tolerate this Microsoft
stupidity must end up with an enormous single list of files that takes
forever to scroll through, the poor blighters.
February 4, 2005 7:40:20 PM

"Urp" <a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com> wrote in message
> Si wrote:
>> Am I correct in thinking that the only way to open a spreadsheet or
>> pocket word doc is through the File Explorer.....?
>
> This is why I will not use Microsoft's rubbish Pocket Word software, Si.
> Part of the Pocket PC development team are so arrogant in effectively
> saying to their users, "You WILL do it our way." I use the excellent
> freeware, Pocket Notepad from http://tillansoft.com. It doesn't format
> text, but I tend to use my desktop PC to do that anyway.
>
> What's so galling about this is the laughable inconsistency between the
> way Microsoft's desktop OSs - such as Xp - do things, and the way they
> want to force you into doing something a different way on Pocket PC. It's
> a joke. What happens is you get ridiculous kludges like the
> "ignore_my_docs" trick, and great little plugins written by clever
> non-Microsoft people, such as this one, that replaces the STUPID and
> USELESS Microsoft Save As dialog:
> http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=752
>
> I cannot think of one single good reason to force users to store all
> documents in one folder. Surely people who tolerate this Microsoft
> stupidity must end up with an enormous single list of files that takes
> forever to scroll through, the poor blighters.

Thanks for the link.

Si.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:07:42 AM

Reply to message from Urp <a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com> (Fri, 04 Feb
2005 11:08:23) about ""Re: No file->open in Pocket Excel or Pocket Word"":

> This is why I will not use Microsoft's rubbish Pocket Word software, Si.
> Part of the Pocket PC development team are so arrogant in effectively
> saying to their users, "You WILL do it our way." I use the excellent
> freeware, Pocket Notepad from http://tillansoft.com. It doesn't format
> text, but I tend to use my desktop PC to do that anyway.

> What's so galling about this is the laughable inconsistency between the
> way Microsoft's desktop OSs - such as Xp - do things, and the way they
> want to force you into doing something a different way on Pocket PC.
> It's a joke. ...

Come on, Urp, how do you really feel?

(But I do think you are correct, and the 3rd party market proves it. )
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:31:37 AM

Just a clarification. Pocket Excel has the ability to open multiple files
at the same time but the standard operating system doesn't give access to
this capability (Similar to Pocket IE). An ap switcher (like Gigabar) does
open this up.

In message <efEHU7kCFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
> first, can't have but one file open at a time... tap the ok and the file
> will be saved and drop you at the app's file window.

Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:31:38 AM

Reply to message from "Tom Dasson" <t.dasson@frontiernet.net> (Fri, 04 Feb
2005 18:31:37) about ""Re: No file->open in Pocket Excel or Pocket Word"":

> Just a clarification. Pocket Excel has the ability to open multiple
> files at the same time but the standard operating system doesn't give
> access to this capability (Similar to Pocket IE). An ap switcher (like
> Gigabar) does open this up.

Another example of the built-in apps holding back the capabilities of the
rather capable os.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:25:42 AM

xTenn wrote:
> Reply to message from Urp <a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com> (Fri, 04 Feb
> 2005 11:08:23) about ""Re: No file->open in Pocket Excel or Pocket Word"":
>
> > This is why I will not use Microsoft's rubbish Pocket Word software, Si.
> > Part of the Pocket PC development team are so arrogant in effectively
> > saying to their users, "You WILL do it our way." I use the excellent
> > freeware, Pocket Notepad from http://tillansoft.com. It doesn't format
> > text, but I tend to use my desktop PC to do that anyway.
>
> > What's so galling about this is the laughable inconsistency between the
> > way Microsoft's desktop OSs - such as Xp - do things, and the way they
> > want to force you into doing something a different way on Pocket PC.
> > It's a joke. ...
>
> Come on, Urp, how do you really feel?

LOL. You're right, xTenn, I shouldn't prevaricate: the Microsoft Pocket
PC development team should provide what their users want, and not what
some people at Microsoft want.

I have never seen a reasonable explanation of why the My Documents
limitation was introduced. Does anyone know why?
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:27:29 AM

Si wrote:

> Thanks for the link.

You're welcome, Si. I hope it works for you.
!