Sign in with
Your question

[First Build] Need suggestions and help please

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2006 9:18:45 PM

Been reading the forums and other sites for awhile have been gathering info for my first computer I'm going to build for GAMING mainly.

So far I have:

(All prices Canadian)

263$ CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
directcanada.com

240$ MOBO: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe ATX LGA775 Conroe NFORCE4 SLI DDR2 2PCI-E16 SATA2 Sound 1394 Motherboard
directcanada.com

125$ Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music 24BIT Sound Card
directcanada.com

40$ Drive: Lite-on Super Allwrite SHM-165H6S / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 5x DVD-RAM / 8x DVD+R DL / 4x DVD-R DL
/ 48x24x48x CD-RW / Black/Beige Faceplates / Internal / DVD Writer with LightScribe
tigerdirect.ca

108$ HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache Ncq Hard Drive
directcanada.com

260$ Video: Evga E-GEFORCE 7900 Gto PCI-E 512MB Dual DVI-I Hdcp Hdtv Out Video Card
directcanada.com or tigerdirect.ca

360$ Ram: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC6400 DDR2-800 Cl 5-5-5-12 240PIN Dimm Dual Channel Memory
directcanada.com

89$ Case: Apevia Black X-Cruiser Case ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Audio and Firewire Ports
tigerdirect.ca

100$ OS: Microsoft Windows Xp Home Edition Oem

??$ PSU: ????

13$ NET: D-Link - DFE-530TX+ - 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN Adapter
tigerdirect.ca

<< $1608 >> TOTAL

At all possible I would like to hover around 1500-1700 with leeway if the part is exceptional or under if there are some good cost cutting measures. The lower the total the better basically.

I'm looking for suggestions on the MOBO, PSU and video card and even anything else.. ie. Do i need extra fans? cooling?

I've chosen the E6400 because even though I've never OC'd, I've heard it is pretty easy to with this chip.

Everything I've listed should be compabatible (I hope..).

I've been out of the hardware loop so any apologies if this post is pretty general.

I would also like some LCD moniter choices as I'm pretty clueless on where to begin..

Thanks for the help :p 

More about : build suggestions

October 15, 2006 9:30:32 PM

good first build configuration :D 

okay get the e6400.

If you might overclock its best to get the gigabyte ds3/ds4 or the asus 965p or5x motherboards.All of these erclock well and are stableat stock, although the ds3 did havean issue wth ram, though if you are getting corsair there is not much need to worry :D 

get xp pro oem. It has some better features that you dont get in home.

get some cheap ddr2 533 or 667 if you choose not to overclock as the prices are high atm, or just buy th very good ram you suggested.

you might want to look over at the interactive cpu charts on the 1900xt 256mb, it uses more power though and might be noisier...
DONT BOTHER ABOUT CROSSFIRE OR SLI (DONT CHOOSE A MOTHERBOARD IF IT AINT NO GOOD JUST BECAUSE IT HAS CRPSSIFRE OR SLI, THEY ARENT GONNA BE MUCH USE ANYWAY)

have a look at the antec p180 case. or thermaltake armour case.

have a look at some of the dell monitors , other posters will surely help on the matter :D 
October 15, 2006 10:10:39 PM

Thanks for the response, couple Q's..

I am lost on which motherboard I should be looking at...

Motherboards I am looking it

Same for the DS3/4..

reviews say not for OC'ing..?

Everything so far can hold the DX10 cards later on (not thinking about getting one until it becomes the norm).

For case I have looked at the above you suggested and the Lian Li cases but all I want is a nice size case that looks good. I have no plans to move the computer around.

Here is my original suggestion which looks to have a nice air flow and cooling setup and bright lights :lol: 

Original

[vs]

Termaltake

And finally the PSU..how many watts should i be looking at? 500W?
Related resources
October 15, 2006 11:24:43 PM

Your system sounds pretty good.

I would suggest going with the Windows XP "upgrade" disc though, but ONLY if you already have a windows disc that supports it. Not a Dell disc, or a Gateway disc, or any other restore disc, but rather an actual windows install disc.

You can do a fresh install on a hard drive with XP upgrade as long as you have the old version disc with you to make a brief verification exchange.

You would need to have something like Windows ME, or Windows 98SE if going to Windows XP home. If you were going to Windows XP Pro, you would need a Windows 2000 disc.

I just built a few computers, and used the upgrade version on all of them, as they were for friends who had some old discs.

If you do go for the upgrade disc, try hitting ebay for a great deal on it, but get one that hasn't been opened, and from someone with decent feedback, of course.

You rig sounds a lot like my arcade build. I used a E6400 with an ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-fi board. My PSU choices more recently have been to go with Thermaltake's silent series. They are quiet, and solid.
You are correct at looking to at least a 500W supply. You could even consider going a bit higher if the price is right. Why? People still don't know for sure if the next gen video cards will be run from the PSU or external power. I tend to play it safe and cover myself either way.
October 15, 2006 11:38:14 PM

For windows disks all I have is the one that came with this pre-build computer from futureshop ~4 years ago..does that mean no OEM windows?

For MOBO's it looks like I'm going to choose the ASUS P5B-E after looking into it further and see'ing your response further solidified my choice since I don't really want to run 2 video cards but rather just 1 card and upgrade to a DX10 card in the future.

The P5B mobo I've chosen

Thoughts on this PSU? Thermal
the antec one
October 15, 2006 11:43:11 PM

You probably don't have a disc that will work with the "upgrade" version of windows then. This does not mean that you cannot get an oem "regular" version of Windows XP. It should still work fine.
(If you have a friend who has an extra, old disc, you may luck out and still be able to get the upgrade version)

I have had no problems at all with that motherboard. The install was painless (the Q-connectors are great - you will see what I mean) and the
new Intel ship worked immediately. (I had a BIOS problem with my E6700 and the P5W DH Deluxe board that I had to hurdle)

Make sure that you update your BIOS once you get everything going. You can even download it right now - onto a flash drive. That way you will have it ready to use when your new build is up an going. You can just use the ASUS EZ Flash Bios program right in the startup, instead of having to go into windows to do it.
October 15, 2006 11:56:44 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

For BIOS, I've never worked with them before, this (as the topic says) is my first computer I'm going to build. Am I needing to buy a flash drive? < 8mb? that holds BIOs to start the computer or..??? I've been looking at assembling guides by googling but haven't delved to far because I wanted to finalize my build (which I have ty).
October 16, 2006 12:55:17 AM

One bit of advice for any new build you are contemplating, is to first download the manuals for the chief components (especially the motherboard), and read it cover to cover. That will give you an idea of what you are getting into. Plus, you will sometimes learn of problems to avoid (e.g. motherboard requires a particular kind of RAM in order to run dual-channel). Also, you should look at the tech support discussions for the motherboard before you buy it. Sometimes you will see a lot of complaints about a particular feature (eg. SATA chip not having a linux driver). Sometimes those will matter to you, sometimes not, but it is always good to see what the real scoop is. The tech support boards often reveal problems that tech reviews do not.
October 16, 2006 1:46:45 AM

Looks good to me.
I just built a system similar to yours.

-e6400
-bfg 7600gt
-aspire xplorer case
-320gb seagate hd
-SB audigy 2 zs
-Gigabyte 965p ds3
-2gb OCZ gold ram
-antec 550watt psu

It is a very good system. The motherboard works fine, but I can't get to flash the bios through the BIOS itself.

One other thing: DO NOT get OCZ ram if you are planning on buying a 965 motherboard. I had to manually underclock the ram in the bios in order for the pc to install windows. Although if you are ok with tweaking every thing, then I guess it's ok..
My total cost with 19inch monitor, gaming keyboard and mouse and a 5.1 speakers, was $1682.

I got the Viewsonic Vx922 monitor (i would highly recommend it if you are looking at a large monitor.
!