Can SLI be turned off and on?

crypton

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I'm looking at upgrading my computer. I will primarily (90% of the time) be using it for development (Visual Studio, PhotoShop, Macromedia Flash, SQL Server, etc) and most will be open at the same time, so I'm looking to get 4 monitors.

My plan was to get a mb with two pcie 16 slots, and get 2 dual head cards, which would give me 4 monitors. My question is, is there a way to disable 3 of these monitors and then run teh two graphics cards in SLI mode? This would be awsome for the 10% of the time I'll be playign games. I"m looking for an easy switch, like software, rather than having to boot up into the bios every time I make a change.

Thanks!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yes you can.

There should be an option in the display menu of the graphics card you are using. I'm using BFG 7800GTX SLI with 84.21 forceware and I can find it in the "performance and quality" settings, under it a selection of "hardware accelaration" of either want "single display" mode or "muliple display" mode wether running 2 to 4 monitors. It's all I have to do when switching, but now I only use one LCD.

But I think that varies on the brand/model and the forceware you are using. I'm refering the method based on my BFG 7800GTX SLi with 84.21 forceware.

Here's what mine looks.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
yes i can do it with my asus a8n32sli deluxe mobo through
nv display.

but i have a msi k8neo4sli mobo that has a switch card
which requires removal of one or both of the gpu,s to switch.

most newer mobo,s dont have this card anymore.

crypton

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Thanks so much for your quick and detailed reply, I really appreciate it. Are you pretty happy with the BFG 7800GTX SLI? I could probably budget 2 of those into my system, although it might be overkill since I probably won't play any of the games that would get close to using all the features. :)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The 7800GTX is fine, but the 7900GT or X1800XT is better for it outperforms the year old 7800GTX and also it's the same price or cheaper. I use SLI since I run all games 4xAA and highest quality settings.