The Disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzyjazz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I have read dozens of useless remedies for this problem with SD card readers. I have found a solution. It is not pretty but it works.

1) In My Computer, right click on the drive letter of your SD card and
2) Eject it.
3) Then pull the card out and stick it back in.
4) Try to write to the card. If it works, GREAT! Proceed with your copying.
5) If it DIDN'T work, repeat steps 1 through 4.

I have found that I sometimes have to try the process SEVERAL (6-8) times before I can write to the card.

I have found several references on the web to things called WRITE_PROT that lead me to believe that there is a software toggle inside the chip. Here are some lines from one .PDF file I found:

CMD28 SET_WRITE_PROT Optional
CMD29 CLR_WRITE_PROT Optional
CMD30 SEND_WRITE_PROT Optional

Those CMDs (I assume CMD stands for "Command") are listed in several .PDFs that are too technical for me to fully comprehend. Although I do not have the technical experience to prove it, I believe that this bit or setting is somehow being toggled by some kind of glitch. All I know is that I have been able to repeat my success on getting back write capabilities to my 1GB PNY SD card.

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I don't have my SD card handly but doesn't it have a write protect switch on the side of them? I'm almost certain my ScanDisk has one. Sorry other then that I have no soultions .... I've never had that problem and I put everything on my SD and take it home.

x88a

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
i m having problems too.
My question is, how do you perform task 2??
I dont c any eject command.
TQ

Ozzyjazz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
i m having problems too.
My question is, how do you perform task 2??
I dont c any eject command.
TQ

I just tried the original instructions again. I am using XP Pro. I see the "Eject" command when I RIGHT click on the drive letter for the SD chip. I do not know what XP Home looks like. Perhaps it does not have that command. If you have XP Pro though you should see the command. I have tried to get mine to NOT be write protected again this time and have tried my procedure about 5 times with no success. ARGGGG! I sure wish I could find a better solution.

Ozzyjazz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I don't have my SD card handly but doesn't it have a write protect switch on the side of them? I'm almost certain my ScanDisk has one. Sorry other then that I have no soultions .... I've never had that problem and I put everything on my SD and take it home.

Yes, it does have a write protect slider on the side but this is NOT the issue here. Some have suggested putting tape around the card to make sure that the slider thing does not slip into write protect mode when inserting the card but this issue is from some kind of software setting - not a hardware write protect tab.

barrinton

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I have had a message wanting me to remove the write protection on my SCAN Disk. After reading replies on the web site I decided to try myself.
I put the slider 1/2 way between lock and unlock and only pushed the disk in until the light started flashing (not all the way). It has worked on two different disks at the moment.
My disk slot is included with a HP all in one unit.

spraxi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hi, just wanted to ask if the 4-step process above also applies to USB? I seem to be having trouble with mine and i dunno how to remove the write-protection thing that keeps popping up whenever to try to transfer a file on it. thanks!

phokum

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
The only thing that work for me was to put the SD card into the reader slowly slide the card in and stop when the reader light comes on. This time the lock was off. I wounder if the MAC guys have the same problem?

sandybrit

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I tried OzzyJazz's steps and it worked, although it took me 1/2 dozen times doing it. Thanks a bunch. It was a 2gb SD disk that was on sale for $9.99!

G

i didint get the instuctions man plzzzzzzzzzzzz i really want it

mikeygirl2500

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
thanx! it really helped. ive been trying 2 fix it for a long time and i got a lot of new cds for my b-day that i wanted 2 put on my card. obviously, it worked. :D

Red E

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I have a Kingston 8GB SD HC, moved the lock switch halfway and it can now access.
Glad I stopped by here.

demasu

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
yeaah... I like the way you remove write-protected disk,,
it really works on mine.. great..
after I do the 4-step,, I can copy file on it.. yeah,, many thanks...

shamsudeen

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
THANK YOU 100 TIMES... IT WORKED.. I DID THE STEPS JUST ONES AND IT

WORKED.... I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM FOR MONTHS..OH

I OWE YOU A DINNER........ OH MY GOD I LOVE U GUY I LUV U GREAT

THANX

demolasanni@yahoo.com

ebrown

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009

How to move write prection from dvd?

astodd

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Not all cards have a write protect switch.

I had this issue and found that it was multiple cards all of which didn't have the switch, I quickly realized that the issue was my PC not the card since the cards did work in another PC.

Here's how I fixed it:
open Regedit and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control\StroageDevicePolicies
If there is a WriteProtect key (REG_DWORD) then
1 = Write Protect On
0 = Write Protect Off

Set to 0 and try (may have to reboot in some cases)

G

I have USB which is whenever I connect to pc show remove write protection. At that time I searched site which help me to remove writer protection. I just follow your eject 4 steps plan. Really wonder it is now working. Thanks for your support. AMJAD - JEDDAH K.S.A

cricket001

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Thank you, thank you!!! I didn't even realize that my SD card had a slide lock!!! :bounce: I have been carry around a memory stick that I have "lost " and "found" so many times....My organizer has a slot just dedicated to the card reader and it is perfect to carry with me....

THANKS!!!!! I just love technology....if only I could get my sony book reader to read my kindle books! I love both of these devices...but I can read better using the sony reader! :eek:

Stephanie

Status
Not open for further replies.