Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The Disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2006 12:44:38 AM

I have read dozens of useless remedies for this problem with SD card readers. I have found a solution. It is not pretty but it works.

1) In My Computer, right click on the drive letter of your SD card and
2) Eject it.
3) Then pull the card out and stick it back in.
4) Try to write to the card. If it works, GREAT! Proceed with your copying.
5) If it DIDN'T work, repeat steps 1 through 4.

I have found that I sometimes have to try the process SEVERAL (6-8) times before I can write to the card.

I have found several references on the web to things called WRITE_PROT that lead me to believe that there is a software toggle inside the chip. Here are some lines from one .PDF file I found:

CMD28 SET_WRITE_PROT Optional
CMD29 CLR_WRITE_PROT Optional
CMD30 SEND_WRITE_PROT Optional

Those CMDs (I assume CMD stands for "Command") are listed in several .PDFs that are too technical for me to fully comprehend. Although I do not have the technical experience to prove it, I believe that this bit or setting is somehow being toggled by some kind of glitch. All I know is that I have been able to repeat my success on getting back write capabilities to my 1GB PNY SD card.
October 21, 2006 3:21:28 PM

I don't have my SD card handly but doesn't it have a write protect switch on the side of them? I'm almost certain my ScanDisk has one. Sorry other then that I have no soultions .... I've never had that problem and I put everything on my SD and take it home.
November 4, 2006 5:24:13 PM

i m having problems too.
My question is, how do you perform task 2??
I dont c any eject command.
TQ
Related resources
November 4, 2006 5:52:10 PM

Quote:
i m having problems too.
My question is, how do you perform task 2??
I dont c any eject command.
TQ

I just tried the original instructions again. I am using XP Pro. I see the "Eject" command when I RIGHT click on the drive letter for the SD chip. I do not know what XP Home looks like. Perhaps it does not have that command. If you have XP Pro though you should see the command. I have tried to get mine to NOT be write protected again this time and have tried my procedure about 5 times with no success. ARGGGG! I sure wish I could find a better solution.
November 4, 2006 5:54:55 PM

Quote:
I don't have my SD card handly but doesn't it have a write protect switch on the side of them? I'm almost certain my ScanDisk has one. Sorry other then that I have no soultions .... I've never had that problem and I put everything on my SD and take it home.

Yes, it does have a write protect slider on the side but this is NOT the issue here. Some have suggested putting tape around the card to make sure that the slider thing does not slip into write protect mode when inserting the card but this issue is from some kind of software setting - not a hardware write protect tab.
September 30, 2008 2:44:21 PM

I have had a message wanting me to remove the write protection on my SCAN Disk. After reading replies on the web site I decided to try myself.
I put the slider 1/2 way between lock and unlock and only pushed the disk in until the light started flashing (not all the way). It has worked on two different disks at the moment.
My disk slot is included with a HP all in one unit.
November 30, 2008 3:26:26 PM

Hi, just wanted to ask if the 4-step process above also applies to USB? I seem to be having trouble with mine and i dunno how to remove the write-protection thing that keeps popping up whenever to try to transfer a file on it. thanks!
December 4, 2008 2:14:07 AM

The only thing that work for me was to put the SD card into the reader slowly slide the card in and stop when the reader light comes on. This time the lock was off. I wounder if the MAC guys have the same problem?
January 1, 2009 6:50:05 PM

I tried OzzyJazz's steps and it worked, although it took me 1/2 dozen times doing it. Thanks a bunch. It was a 2gb SD disk that was on sale for $9.99!
January 12, 2009 12:05:33 PM

wow..Ozzyjazz! ur amazing.. ur advice really works :D 
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 14, 2009 8:07:43 PM

i didint get the instuctions man plzzzzzzzzzzzz i really want it
January 19, 2009 6:32:28 PM

thanx! it really helped. ive been trying 2 fix it for a long time and i got a lot of new cds for my b-day that i wanted 2 put on my card. obviously, it worked. :D 
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 21, 2009 1:16:13 PM

ow. thank you so much . luckily i've found this site .
January 21, 2009 9:28:01 PM

I tried your solution and it worked. Thank You.
January 22, 2009 1:06:16 PM

hey! if you are using an adapter for the card then just unlock it from its left side
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 31, 2009 1:29:55 PM

just turn the buttom lock off on your mp3 :) 
February 10, 2009 4:40:49 PM

I have a Kingston 8GB SD HC, moved the lock switch halfway and it can now access.
Glad I stopped by here.
February 22, 2009 9:21:04 AM

yeaah... I like the way you remove write-protected disk,,
it really works on mine.. great..
after I do the 4-step,, I can copy file on it.. yeah,, many thanks...
February 22, 2009 8:03:54 PM

THANK YOU 100 TIMES... IT WORKED.. I DID THE STEPS JUST ONES AND IT

WORKED.... I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM FOR MONTHS..OH

I OWE YOU A DINNER........ OH MY GOD I LOVE U GUY I LUV U GREAT

THANX

demolasanni@yahoo.com
March 9, 2009 7:05:31 PM

demasu said:
yeaah... I like the way you remove write-protected disk,,
it really works on mine.. great..
after I do the 4-step,, I can copy file on it.. yeah,, many thanks...

How to move write prection from dvd?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 12, 2009 12:40:09 AM

thanks it worked awsome
April 3, 2009 6:33:20 PM

Not all cards have a write protect switch.

I had this issue and found that it was multiple cards all of which didn't have the switch, I quickly realized that the issue was my PC not the card since the cards did work in another PC.

Here's how I fixed it:
open Regedit and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control\StroageDevicePolicies
If there is a WriteProtect key (REG_DWORD) then
1 = Write Protect On
0 = Write Protect Off

Set to 0 and try (may have to reboot in some cases)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 7, 2009 10:28:33 AM

I have USB which is whenever I connect to pc show remove write protection. At that time I searched site which help me to remove writer protection. I just follow your eject 4 steps plan. Really wonder it is now working. Thanks for your support. AMJAD - JEDDAH K.S.A
April 22, 2009 10:07:25 PM

For SD card readers Remove the lock... which will be physically there on cardreader
May 10, 2009 6:25:54 PM

Thank you, thank you!!! I didn't even realize that my SD card had a slide lock!!! :bounce:  I have been carry around a memory stick that I have "lost " and "found" so many times....My organizer has a slot just dedicated to the card reader and it is perfect to carry with me....

THANKS!!!!! I just love technology....if only I could get my sony book reader to read my kindle books! I love both of these devices...but I can read better using the sony reader! :o 

Stephanie
May 15, 2009 2:47:01 AM

hh..why its not working in my laptop?//?..

kindly give us another opinion...and i nedd a reply...

thank you poh...
June 3, 2009 3:19:40 AM

I have the same problem,I did a scan using my anti virus(symantic) and then did a format of the disk. It accepted to format, then every things started working.
June 15, 2009 10:40:45 AM

A BIG THANK YOU TO OZZYJAZZ!!!!

I have read and tried about 50 useless methods, but your is the only one that works. Thank you again for taking the trouble to post your suggestion.

Dave in Spain
June 18, 2009 9:38:17 PM

astodd said:

I had this issue and found that it was multiple cards all of which didn't have the switch, I quickly realized that the issue was my PC not the card since the cards did work in another PC.

Here's how I fixed it:
1 = Write Protect On
0 = Write Protect Off

i wan to say thanks to you,becoz i'm using the notebook for model acer aspire 4720,what usb thing i also cant copy or send it,when i follow ur step,i slove the problem it.^_^thanks you very much
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 26, 2009 5:05:58 PM

Thank you . I actually broke off the wee slidey protect bit and a corner of the card, but half in done it for me. I now have a lovely 4GB SanDisk to fill with junk again. I wonder if that`ll work with the wife.....have a good one,mate.
July 15, 2009 5:23:18 AM

Quote:

Here's how I fixed it:
1 = Write Protect On
0 = Write Protect Off

thank you thank you very much
tut is perfect xD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 31, 2009 2:29:24 AM

Sooooo i was having the same write protection problem and i found my own solution...when u unlock the card and put it in the computer it locks back so while i wa sliding the SD card into the slot i held a toothpick up against it to keep the card from locking i didnt think it would work but it did!!!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 19, 2009 6:04:22 AM

write to the card??????????? whats that supposed to mean??
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 19, 2009 6:28:43 AM

BIG thanks for the tooth pick idea foreal i was stressin big time you jus made my life a whole lot easier lol thanks again!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 23, 2009 11:11:12 PM

I had the same 'disk is write protected' problem with a Raven MP3 player (USB drive).

Here's how I fixed it (for XP):

1. Go to the disk properties page.
2. Select the 'Hardware' tab.
3. In the 'All disk drives' list, select the name of the external device.
4. Click the 'Properties' button.
5. Select the 'Policies' tab.
6. Under 'Write caching and Safe Removal', select 'Optimize for performance'.

Peter
August 24, 2009 8:46:33 AM

astodd said:

Here's how I fixed it:
1 = Write Protect On
0 = Write Protect Off

Hi,
In my system i cant find the StroageDevicePolicy in regedit. Is this any system issue?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 3, 2009 5:15:03 PM

thanks wow kamal kae diya apne i was so upset thankyou verymuch
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 11:03:46 AM

thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2009 6:51:32 AM

i have tried that and it dint work and i dont have an sd memory card i have a m2 for a sony erricson .... any other suggestions ?
September 24, 2009 10:10:33 AM

oh!
it's my problem too ! :cry: 
in my external device there is a file with this name "ReadyBoost.sfcache"
and I can't remove that with windows vista (in properties , ready boost)
please help me! :bounce:  mohammadspeed[at]ymail.com
September 24, 2009 10:24:37 AM

karthik_booma said:
Hi,
In my system i cant find the StroageDevicePolicy in regedit. Is this any system issue?

oh! :cry: 
it's my problem too!
in my external device there is a file with this name "ReadyBoost.sfcache"
and I can't remove that in windows vista too (properties page , ready boost)
plese help me! :bounce:  mohammadspeed[at]ymail.com
September 28, 2009 7:30:45 PM

Few days back I had faced this issue and I too was frustrated by the large number of solutions offered on the internet that do not work. However finally I came across a blog post that has some less technical solutions to this problem. The virus removal trick in this article finally solved my problem.

I wish I had seen this thread on tomshardware forum before. It would have saved a lot of effort. I think someone of us must summarize this thread for lesser technical people like me.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 7, 2009 6:42:51 AM

karthik_booma said:
Hi,

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 10, 2009 3:10:14 PM

"There is a tiny piece located on the side of the SD card, sometimes it gets pushed back and that write protects it. Just push the tiny piece forward and it will remove the write protection. I figured it out on my own. Nothing to do with software, etc.
October 15, 2009 1:44:05 PM

I have here an sd card and it has slide lock on it. Whatever slides i make it, it still have write-protection.

I am using windows vista on my laptop. My laptop has a built-in card reader. Theres nothing i can use on that part.

I had also tried ozzyjazz's steps but i cant see any "eject" button.

I also tried the REGEDIT system but i cant also find the "storagedevicepolicy" folder neither word. :cry: 

Help Me!!!!!! Plzzzz!!!! I tired on this WRITE-PROTECTION problem!!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 25, 2009 3:29:11 AM

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY STEP 4 I DONT GET IT?? PLEASE HELP I HAVE TO UNLOCK THE CARD!!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 25, 2009 3:30:13 AM

Ozzyjazz said:
I have read dozens of useless remedies for this problem with SD card readers. I have found a solution. It is not pretty but it works.

1) In My Computer, right click on the drive letter of your SD card and
2) Eject it.
3) Then pull the card out and stick it back in.
4) Try to write to the card. If it works, GREAT! Proceed with your copying.
5) If it DIDN'T work, repeat steps 1 through 4.

I have found that I sometimes have to try the process SEVERAL (6-8) times before I can write to the card.

I have found several references on the web to things called WRITE_PROT that lead me to believe that there is a software toggle inside the chip. Here are some lines from one .PDF file I found:

CMD28 SET_WRITE_PROT Optional
CMD29 CLR_WRITE_PROT Optional
CMD30 SEND_WRITE_PROT Optional

Those CMDs (I assume CMD stands for "Command") are listed in several .PDFs that are too technical for me to fully comprehend. Although I do not have the technical experience to prove it, I believe that this bit or setting is somehow being toggled by some kind of glitch. All I know is that I have been able to repeat my success on getting back write capabilities to my 1GB PNY SD card.

i dont get step 4????
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 1, 2009 9:05:26 PM

drifter_888 said:

Found the switch on the side and my husband will not die tonight thank you very much!!!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 2, 2009 9:36:14 AM

Thank you so much. I've tried everything else that has been suggested online and nothing worked. I done what you said three times and it worked. Thanks again.
!