"warming up..."

whoha

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001
Plastered in the center of the screen in a tiny box, at the end of Windows 98 startup, was the message: "warming up..XX seconds remaining." I watched in amazement as the seconds ticked down from about 30 to 0. In lo many years of Windows, I don't recall ever reading this comment.

I can only assume this means it's time to scrap everything, take a couple belts of Old Grandad, and reinstall Windows. Yes?

Duron 750 on Shuttle AK12
WD & Maxtor drives, 192 RAM, Radeon AIW, Santa Cruz

Cheers!

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is probably your scanner driver that is placed in the startup folder that is doing this.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

yeah, this happens when your installation of win 98 has been around many months. its knees start to ache, the cold really bothers it and it constanly bitches about how win 2k has no idea of how it was in the old days.......

ignore everything i say

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
LOL! As Brainstorm said, sounds like the scanner driver.

UMAX, perchance?

If so, delete it from Start>Programs>Startup

The scaner will still work fine, it will just go through the warm-up cycle when a TWAIN session is initiated.

whoha

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001
AAAIIIEEEE!!!!! You are certifiable geniuses! Brainstorm identifies the culprit: my scanner, not WIN98! Hammerhead specifies the brand: UMAX! What, nobody could tell me that it's an ASTRA 2100U, bought on Geo Washington's birthday for $29 US dollars at CompUSA? Twelve more hours and someone would likely have nailed not only the model no., but the driver software version # and release date.

Armed with this reprieve from the WIN98 re-install blues, I may just keep the whole Ol Grandad bottle handy.

One question on removing the scanner from startup, though. I've grown quite fond of just tapping the "copy" button on the scanner and watching a scanned copy upchuck from the HP printer a few seconds later...a rare "one-button" operation in computerland. It's as painfree and quick as a dedicated copying machine. Will I lose this ability? Never mind, I'll try it and find out!

Still puzzled about why I am seeing this message on startup for the first time after having scanner for five months.

Thanks again. Your skills amaze.

Cheers!

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
'What, nobody could tell me that it's an ASTRA 2100U, bought on Geo Washington's birthday for $29 US dollars at CompUSA? '

:smile: Hey man, how would I know that? I'm British. :smile: