Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Playing at 1900x1200

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 16, 2006 1:45:21 AM

So what would be the best price/performance at that resolution. I know I need something a bit more powerfull than an X1900XT 256MB, but I dont want to burn a whole in my pocket, if anything, I would like to stay under $300 if its possible.

Im checking the benchmarks here in THG but they dont include the res I want to use. I just wanted to know if any SLI config can beat the X1900XT at those high res while still keeping the price around $300

More about : playing 1900x1200

October 16, 2006 4:58:12 AM

Actually the X1900XT is good enough to run at 1900x1200 without AA at over 60 FPS.

And it should be good enough because its the best card in the world, and its the best u can do for under 300$

For 500$ u can get the 7950 GX2. DONT get the X1950XTX (remmember, stay AWAY from XTX)
October 16, 2006 6:48:37 AM

WHY NOT?! :?
i almost bought it! 8O
Related resources
October 16, 2006 7:00:16 AM

Quote:
WHY NOT?! :?
i almost bought it! 8O


NEVER buy an XTX card!! how many times must i stress this issue?

X1900XT costs 250$ while the X1900XTX costs over 300$ but they are the same card. Once the price was even higher.
October 16, 2006 11:38:08 AM

Thanks, thought there might be a worthwhile SLI around that price to run such high res, I guess not. Thanks for your help, ill stick with that card then.
October 16, 2006 5:32:58 PM

are you using the new benq fp241wz 24" widescreen lcd monitor?
October 17, 2006 2:34:31 AM

I was thinking about getting it, but someone mentioned some slight gradient banding so im going to wait for some reviews before I make the purchase. The lack of that aspect ratio scaling thing also doesnt make a strong case, therefore, Im probably going to get the Sony SDM-P234, which is an S-IPS panel, meaning excellent for what I do, image editing, and very good at all the rest.

I also plan on maybe adding a sourround solution with two Viewsonic VP930s around the Sony, but thats when I get the money, which wont be any time soon. :wink:
October 17, 2006 2:36:23 AM

Wait u HAVE the X1900XT?
October 17, 2006 2:38:15 AM

Not yet, but from what everyone here is saying, I will :wink:

Why?
October 17, 2006 2:38:48 AM

yeah i like the idea of having wide screen. :) 
October 17, 2006 2:43:21 AM

the best single card to be run at 1900x1200 is the geforce 7950x2, but the price won't fit to $300.

so, imho, the x1900xt and the 7900gt are the sweetpot for the price and performance.
October 17, 2006 2:44:53 AM

yup, seems so.

Do you think DX10 will offer a better solution for me?
October 17, 2006 2:45:57 AM

Quote:
Not yet, but from what everyone here is saying, I will :wink:

Why?


I dont know, i thought u HAD the X1900XT but wanted something better for under 300$.

I suggest 2 X1900XTs (256MB) in CrossFire. Cant beat that price/performance.

Well, actually u may be able to beat that.. at least for now and only in some games.

7900 GTO = X1900XT 256MB in price, but it has 512MB. They are both pretty much equal in performance due to them being the 2 best cards on earth. But with the drivers for the X1900XT, it will soon be better.
October 17, 2006 2:53:31 AM

Thats one thing I do understand will help, 512MBs of memory seems to help best at high res. I need to find out if there are some benchmarks with those high res cause thats the prob with THG is that if they had those benchies, we wouldnt even be having this conversation. Do yall know of any good benchies with 1900x1200 as its main target. Or just detailed enough to make a sound decision?
October 17, 2006 2:59:26 AM

i don't know much about dx10 card, they will unify the pixel, vertex, and geometry shader or pipeline, and perhaps there will be more pixel vertex geometry shader than the higest current.

guess we will see the reviews of it around november or even sooner..

the only question here is, can you wait that long?

i'm getting itchy to test evga 7600gt ko, evga 7900gt ko, or his x1900xt (they're both below or around $340 here in indonesia). have you any experience on the 7600gt or 7900gt? i would love to know about it since my current card is x1600pro agp :p 
October 17, 2006 3:03:42 AM

Sorry dude. I have NO gaming experience other than Rome:Total War playing with a Radeon 9600. Now thats bad.

I am actually just becoming an enthusiast and I want to be blown away when I get the new system. But the X1900XT should provide more than enough wowment since I havent played anything spectacular like ever.
October 17, 2006 3:07:43 AM

Quote:
Thats one thing I do understand will help, 512MBs of memory seems to help best at high res. I need to find out if there are some benchmarks with those high res cause thats the prob with THG is that if they had those benchies, we wouldnt even be having this conversation. Do yall know of any good benchies with 1900x1200 as its main target. Or just detailed enough to make a sound decision?


i never see the benchmark on that resolution, but here's a quote from THG article taken from http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/26/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/page4.html#best_pcie_card_for_500

Quote:
Keep in mind though that if you play at 1280x1024 resolution with 4xAA, you would be wasting money on the GX2, as cheaper single cards like the X1900 XTX and 7900 GTX can outperform the card at those settings. But if you play at 1600x1200 with 6xAA, the 7950 GX2 can't be beat by any single card out there.


so based on that statement i assume the single card won't do as best as the SLI/CF setting on above 1600x1200 resolution. from your situation, the x1900xt is the best money can buy.
October 17, 2006 3:11:39 AM

Quote:
Sorry dude. I have NO gaming experience other than Rome:Total War playing with a Radeon 9600. Now thats bad.

I am actually just becoming an enthusiast and I want to be blown away when I get the new system. But the X1900XT should provide more than enough wowment since I havent played anything spectacular like ever.


holy cow dung! you'll be very amazed with that x1900xt if you go from 9600. lol. it would be just like me when turning from 9200se to x1600pro, and it was amazing! the dx10 card should do amaze us more ;) 

yeah lately i'm turning to a low budget enthusiast. :lol: 
October 17, 2006 3:11:48 AM

Yes yes. I read that review but $500 is out of the question, but probably need to consider it necesary if Im going to be playing at those res. Maybe I can wait for DX10 to come out and actually drop the price of that card. If it can get around $300 when DX10 comes out, then sweet, but that might be wishfull thinking.
October 17, 2006 3:16:26 AM

btw i don't recall any game running at 1900x1200, perhaps it's 1600x1200 at max setting. correct me if i'm wrong.

anyway got to go to work, good luck and see you! :) 
October 17, 2006 4:01:22 AM

there's a new X1950 Pro from powercolor out if I'm not mistaken.
October 17, 2006 4:20:38 AM

Memory has NOTHING to do with the resolution.

If u buy the 7950 GX2 u will guarantee urself the ability to game @ 1920x1200 on matter what. Its only somewhat more expensive, and now u can widen the gap and fit in good coolers, make the 7950 GX2 twice as good as the X1900XT or the 7900 GTO.
October 17, 2006 5:44:48 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about getting it, but someone mentioned some slight gradient banding so im going to wait for some reviews before I make the purchase. The lack of that aspect ratio scaling thing also doesnt make a strong case, therefore, Im probably going to get the Sony SDM-P234, which is an S-IPS panel, meaning excellent for what I do, image editing, and very good at all the rest.

I also plan on maybe adding a sourround solution with two Viewsonic VP930s around the Sony, but thats when I get the money, which wont be any time soon. :wink:

BTW, I own a Sony SDM-P234 and it is awesome. I can hardly look at other displays after using it for a while.
October 17, 2006 5:52:17 AM

Quote:
Memory has NOTHING to do with the resolution.

If u buy the 7950 GX2 u will guarantee urself the ability to game @ 1920x1200 on matter what. Its only somewhat more expensive, and now u can widen the gap and fit in good coolers, make the 7950 GX2 twice as good as the X1900XT or the 7900 GTO.

Well, you might not be able to get good FPS in Oblivion w/ settings turned up. 7950 GX2 FPS in Oblivion (outdoors) is 17.12 @ 2048x1536 and 22.39 @ 1600x1200. Not exactly the smoothest.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/05/geforce_7950_gx2...
!