Gigabyte P965-S3 Watercooling question

Predata22

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Hey guys,

Just received my new computer and have already managed to hit a wall with installation progress.

I'm working with a Gigabyte P965-S3, and a Cool-Trek Vostok Watercooling kit.

I'm trying to install the Cool-trek Vostok waterblock onto the CPU, but the watercooling manual says to remove the original retention bracket if any. The problem with this is that the Gigabyte motherboard certainly has a retention bracket over the CPU, but it is not removable (as far as I can see). I've searched high and low over google for possible resolutions for this one, but no cigar as of yet.

Am I safe to install the waterblock over the top of the retention bracket? Or will I more than likely fry the CPU?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated - would certainly make my day!

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Predata

Predata22

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Got the problem all sorted out. Installed the waterblock over the retention bracket with arctic silver 5, allowing my E6400 to run at 3ghz (376mhz FSB), 30*c idle, 38*c load. Cozy and fast ;)

Cheers,

Predata

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i was a lil late but yes. when they say "retention bracket" they mean any on the underside of teh motherboard usually for a previous cooling setup, not the one holding your cpu on (which is also a retention bracket). 8)