New computer -- are these good parts at good prices?

Megiddo7s

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I'm in the desktop market, and I compiled a list of parts I'd like to get for my new computer. Details are in the picture below:

compyparts.jpg

It was a hard choice between the E6400 and the E6600, but I've been told the only big manufacturing difference between the two is the extra cache... and I can't see paying an extra $100 for that. There's also an amazing article on overclocking the E6400 here.

Is the CPU heatsink/fan enough for some major overclocking?

Mondoman

Splendid
mp - he's got a Zalman 9500 on his list.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 9500, because it doesn't blow air onto the MB and out in all directions to cool nearby components, as the Intel spec requires, but it certainly should be plenty to cool the CPU.

Megiddo7s

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
mp - he's got a Zalman 9500 on his list.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 9500, because it doesn't blow air onto the MB and out in all directions to cool nearby components, as the Intel spec requires, but it certainly should be plenty to cool the CPU.

By the way, I didn't even remember that the case has one of those tunnels to ferry the air from the CPU fan/heatsink directly outside the case. I guess the 9500's verical fan would be bad news with this setup?

Anyone have any recommendations? I want it as quiet but as efficient as possible, and less than $100.