Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

C2D Price Drop with Release of Kentsfield Quad Core?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Quad Core
Last response: in CPUs
October 16, 2006 6:14:09 AM

I'm wondering, do you think there will be a price drop on the Core 2 Duo's when Kentsfield Quad Core is released? THG seems to think that Kentsfield will debut at about $1200 if I read it right. That's a mighty high price. If the C2D prices drop then I'll get one of those instead of a Kentsfield.

More about : c2d price drop release kentsfield quad core

October 16, 2006 6:27:57 AM

Doubt it... Intel's going to abuse their "monopoly" on highest-performing processors like AMD did.

Not to incite flames, Intel abused their pricing in the P2 era, much worse than AMD did a couple months ago.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2006 6:58:32 AM

That was the era when my care-factor for computers was 0, because I probably couldnt even say "computer" back then :wink:

EDIT: Ugh... these stupid advertising links are really annoying me. Computer, intel, processor, video card. Aw, didnt do it this time...
Related resources
October 16, 2006 7:07:52 AM

Quote:
Doubt it... Intel's going to abuse their "monopoly" on highest-performing processors like AMD did.

Not to incite flames, Intel abused their pricing in the P2 era, much worse than AMD did a couple months ago.


:roll:

Guess you don't understand much about business then....
October 16, 2006 7:14:37 AM

[flame]Maybe you don't understand how to write a useful reply

Why the hell did I put quotes around "monopoly"?
It's a virtual monopoly: when the competitor has no competitive product in the niche (ie. no competition), you have a monopoly. You can charge whatever you want.

Guess you aren't very good at reading comprehension.[/flame]
October 16, 2006 8:41:12 AM

I doubt the price will be lowered on the C2D range.

The only time the C2D and C2Q ranges will clash is right at the top end, which is enthusiast / professional territory only for the most part.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2006 5:46:06 AM

Quote:
The only time the C2D and C2Q ranges will clash is right at the top end, which is enthusiast / professional territory only for the most part.

Which may mean a few price adjustments. But then again, if they do slightly lower the price of the high end ones, it may damage intel's midrange sales because of the now (assuming a price drop) better price/performance of the higher models.
October 17, 2006 6:26:46 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering, do you think there will be a price drop on the Core 2 Duo's when Kentsfield Quad Core is released? THG seems to think that Kentsfield will debut at about $1200 if I read it right. That's a mighty high price. If the C2D prices drop then I'll get one of those instead of a Kentsfield.


I don't think so.
Intel will have a major price cut in October and then next year.
October 17, 2006 6:53:04 AM

Quote:
Doubt it... Intel's going to abuse their "monopoly" on highest-performing processors like AMD did.

Not to incite flames, Intel abused their pricing in the P2 era, much worse than AMD did a couple months ago.


I dont know if abuse is the word I would use. I think it was kind of nice that they didnt price Core2s relative to AMDs line and come out with EE6800 in the $1500 range. That would have been a fair price in terms or relative performance. Then again, AMD made the price cut just before Core 2 hit the streets.

For now, it seems to make sense (at least putting myself in their shoes)not to dump C2Q on the market so low that they have to cut C2D prices.
And $1200 (75% over EE6800s current $910) for a rumoured 80% performance increase, well, its not great, but it could have been worse. All this assumes $1200 will be the actual price.

Hell, E6600 is $311 while X25000 is $499 and FX62 is $672. By all rights, Intel should be asking $700ish for E6600 based on relative performance. Other than the fact I would like both Intel and AMD to begin deliveries of their flagship CPUs to me and pay me $2500 per CPU to accept delivery, I cant complain too much :wink:
October 17, 2006 6:58:08 AM

Quote:
I dont know if abuse is the word I would use. I think it was kind of nice that they didnt price Core2s relative to AMDs line and come out with EE6800 in the $1500 range. That would have been a fair price in terms or relative performance. Then again, AMD made the price cut just before Core 2 hit the streets.

For now, it seems to make sense (at least putting myself in their shoes)not to dump C2Q on the market so low that they have to cut C2D prices.
And $1200 (75% over EE6800s current $910) for a rumoured 80% performance increase, well, its not great, but it could have been worse. All this assumes $1200 will be the actual price.

Hell, E6600 is $311 while X25000 is $499 and FX62 is $672. By all rights, Intel should be asking $700ish for E6600 based on relative performance. Other than the fact I would like both Intel and AMD to begin deliveries of their flagship CPUs to me and pay me $2500 per CPU to accept delivery, I cant complain too much :wink:


Another thing is that the price of C2Q not only affects C2D, but also the Netburst products which Intel wants to sell all of them before Q2 07.
October 17, 2006 8:04:16 AM

Quote:
I dont know if abuse is the word I would use. I think it was kind of nice that they didnt price Core2s relative to AMDs line and come out with EE6800 in the $1500 range. That would have been a fair price in terms or relative performance. Then again, AMD made the price cut just before Core 2 hit the streets.

For now, it seems to make sense (at least putting myself in their shoes)not to dump C2Q on the market so low that they have to cut C2D prices.
And $1200 (75% over EE6800s current $910) for a rumoured 80% performance increase, well, its not great, but it could have been worse. All this assumes $1200 will be the actual price.

Hell, E6600 is $311 while X25000 is $499 and FX62 is $672. By all rights, Intel should be asking $700ish for E6600 based on relative performance. Other than the fact I would like both Intel and AMD to begin deliveries of their flagship CPUs to me and pay me $2500 per CPU to accept delivery, I cant complain too much :wink:


Another thing is that the price of C2Q not only affects C2D, but also the Netburst products which Intel wants to sell all of them before Q2 07.

Very true. Excellent point. :wink: