Unwanted search bar

Yesterday I acquired a searchbar along the bottom of my desktop. This
is a new computer and I had allowed Automatic Updates from Microsoft.
It must have come from this. It's called SearchBar and links me to
WhenUSearch.com. How can I remove this. I can't find an Uninstall. The
programme doesn't appear in Add/Remove programmes. I have deleted it
from All Programs. But it is still there and working. But I don't want
it. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jonny

Dom

Yer this would probally been 'hidden' in a download of some sort. It may take
some technical knowhow to completly get rid of rid and i cant be bothered to
write it out so go to (in Internet Explorer) view> toobars and un-tick the
one tou dont want, it sould now disappear.

Not from MS Update, it didn't.. there is no doubt, however, that you have
downloaded something that was not cool..

Jonny wrote:
> Yesterday I acquired a searchbar along the bottom of my desktop. This
> is a new computer and I had allowed Automatic Updates from Microsoft.
> It must have come from this. It's called SearchBar and links me to
> WhenUSearch.com. How can I remove this. I can't find an Uninstall. The
> programme doesn't appear in Add/Remove programmes. I have deleted it
> from All Programs. But it is still there and working. But I don't want
> it. Any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Jonny

This has nothing to do with your allowing Automatic Updates, but rather
with someone's careless browsing and clicking habits.

To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter,
Bonzai Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately
(but without understanding the consequences) installed, two products
that are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of
scumware) are Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search &
Destroy from www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions.
It's even possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your
system against most future intrusions. I use both and generally
perform manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

Neither adware nor spyware, collectively known as scumware,
magically install themselves on anyone's computer. They are almost
always deliberately installed by the computer's user, as part of some
allegedly "free" service or product.

While there are some unscrupulous malware distributors out there,
who do attempt to install and exploit malware without consent, the
majority of them simply rely upon the intellectual laziness and
gullibility of the average consumer, counting on them to quickly click
past the EULA in his/her haste to get the latest in "free" cutesy
cursors, screensavers, "utilities," and/or wallpapers.

If you were to read the EULAs that accompany, and to which the
computer user must agree before the download/installation of the
"screensaver" continues, most adware and spyware, you'll find that
they _do_ have the consumer's permission to do exactly what they're
doing. In the overwhelming majority of cases, computer users have no
one to blame but themselves.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
they're about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:45:02 -0800, Dom
<dom_mclachlan(nospam)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yer this would probally been 'hidden' in a download of some sort. It may take
>some technical knowhow to completly get rid of rid and i cant be bothered to
>write it out so go to (in Internet Explorer) view> toobars and un-tick the
>one tou dont want, it sould now disappear.

Thanks for that. No use whatsoever:))
The pesky thing is not listed and is still there.
Jonny

Jonny wrote:
> Yesterday I acquired a searchbar along the bottom of my desktop. This
> is a new computer and I had allowed Automatic Updates from Microsoft.
> It must have come from this. It's called SearchBar and links me to
> WhenUSearch.com. How can I remove this. I can't find an Uninstall. The
> programme doesn't appear in Add/Remove programmes. I have deleted it
> from All Programs. But it is still there and working. But I don't want
> it. Any suggestions?

Get some good anti-spyware software. For instance, try Spybot Search &
Destroy and/or AdAware.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:12:44 -0700, Bruce Chambers
<bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>
Many thanks for your detailed reply. I will set to work !
Thanks
Jonny

Jonny wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:12:44 -0700, Bruce Chambers
> <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snipped>
> Many thanks for your detailed reply. I will set to work !
> Thanks
> Jonny

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Google for hijackthis.exe and d/load the program, install and run it. It
will remove the searchbar