Windows Vienna

Heyhey

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
http://paulstamatiou.com/2006/01/19/life-after-windows-vista/

so microsoft has allready brought out a codename and are working on a totally new operating system supposedly rumoured to be called Windows Vienna , codenamed Blackcomb .

What new features could this OS bring to our home pcs?

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

so microsoft has allready brought out a codename and are working on a totally new operating system supposedly rumoured to be called Windows Vienna , codenamed Blackcomb .

Hmm...other than more hardware upgrades, none that i can think of....
Anyway, i supposed this thread/post should be in other 'place',hm?

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

One thing I read was that they're going to be doing away with reboot after installs. :) ABOUT TIME.

Also, I imagine they'll be incorporating their Windows Live! software to bring PC's and consoles even closer together. Let's not forget they're entering the handheld device market. Mp3 players and handheld video games.

could this be the 98 of the 95 version of vista?

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
No. It's the next thing after Vista. I forget where I read about it. :-\ Maybe Tom's? Maybe Microsoft.com? Just do a google search on "Windows Vienna" or Microsoft+Vienna"

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
YEP. Just look at Microsoft's goal of taking over the world...I mean...being a monopoly...I mean...having their fingers in everything and taking over every electronic market...I mean...wait. Everything I just said applies. Bill Gates will be on the side of toasters telling us how not to burn our toast by 2009. No doubt.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Nah. MS takes a lot of crap but look at all the software they have for business. Microsoft Word > Wordperfect. If anything they are improving the PC universe. Mac just did it first, cept nobody really cared because gaming really drives this industry. While the BSOD definitely sucked (and I had one the other day when I turned off my page file just for fun! :p) I think that you're going to see continual improvements as MS figures out how to stop hackers AND stop blue screens. There's nowhere to go but up...of course, the moment someone says that a hurricane comes along and...

Hahahaha!!! You're weird. :p

I'm amazed nobody else thought of it... Anyhow i couldn't think of anything even remotely funny to say about blackcomb.. mmmm....

Aint Blackcomb a ski resort...? could be downhill all the way :p

Sorry... I'll go and take my medication now.. :wink:

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
They can't possibly have started work on this OS already, could they? I mean, don't they have to complete Vista first, and THEN build on it? Or is this a brand new OS that they're writing from scratch (highly doubt it)?

They can't possibly have started work on this OS already, could they? I mean, don't they have to complete Vista first, and THEN build on it? Or is this a brand new OS that they're writing from scratch (highly doubt it)?

They are quite possibly working on the one after Vienna aleady.. It is quite common to be working on a range of versions at the same time. They dont really have to 'finish' Vista to do this.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Read on PCMag About codenames, of future Operating Systems of Microsoft up to 2015. And most of time after "Long Horn" Are "Black-----",... something’s and most are just(to my prediction) Operating systems names Other devices, example Car, handheld, and maybe even built in Home theater??. But I’m pretty Sure if Vistas final product holds firm, Microsoft will just keep Service Packing us and adding more and more Anti-piracy and anti-(anything)in their Software to the point of needing Boot disks and Biometrics and Retina Scans and DNA check to be able to access Solitaire, or even Minesweeper. But true, Microsoft Is trying to take over the world, And from this level of Piracy and Anti-everything Paranoia They might just see themselves Concaving in on them self’s before they are eventually just Wiped out from Corruption and Greed and Failure they are just about to create for themselves in the coming months.

Vienna just sounds like the European version of Vista that Microsoft was reworking
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/10/13/microsoft_eu_korean_vista/
Seems kind of logical that Vienna Is just Vista For the Italians???

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

It'll have a ByteLocker feature that means only authorized personnel can remove a Flash drive.

Maybe a new WGA that will lock you outof your house if you don't pass the test.

AeroPlexiGlass will come with 3D monitors that can cat as babysitters.

It will sit on 3 DVDs take 30 min to install and cost $500.

It will even bundle several small companies.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'm wondering if Microsoft will incorporate a way to control home appliances through their OS... either way, I expect homes to be fully wired soon (maybe in the next 5 years) and that we would be able to run a server that would control all appliances, with a programmable touchscreen LCD (or good ol remote) that can control A/C, Lighting, Blinds, coffee maker (what everyone cares about), and whatnot.

Other than that, I don't see what else they can change unless they make a drastic difference. What I would really like to see is a way to access computer through motion sensors like Minority Report. That might be feasible in a couple of years, we have the technology now.

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

It'll have a ByteLocker feature that means only authorized personnel can remove a Flash drive.

Maybe a new WGA that will lock you outof your house if you don't pass the test.

AeroPlexiGlass will come with 3D monitors that can cat as babysitters.

It will sit on 3 DVDs take 30 min to install and cost $500.

It will even bundle several small companies.

Dont you mean 3BluRay's? :wink:

Sefk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
No, this will be win95 and vista will be win3.x

huge change in windows, prepare to says goodbye to the old start button.

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
YEP. Just look at Microsoft's goal of taking over the world...I mean...being a monopoly...I mean...having their fingers in everything and taking over every electronic market...I mean...wait. Everything I just said applies. Bill Gates will be on the side of toasters telling us how not to burn our toast by 2009. No doubt.

:?

I fail to see how expanding their products to include new catagories is proof that they are trying to be a monopoly to take over the world.

It would be like Toyota saying, "We won't build trucks because we don't want to be a monopoly."

Now, go ahead and criticize their execution, embedded software and marketing strategies, but not the expansion into new realms...

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

I don't think it's worth arguing now, as it's suppose to be released in 2011 according to Microsoft, which put it probably in 2013 :lol: .

Right now there mostly doing very early stage concept and no coding at all I would think.

So let us see what Vista will bring first, and in 4 years we'll talk Vienna. No offence, but only try to remember what you tought of "Longhorn" 3 years ago, and what we'll get shortly and I don't think 10% of everybody here had the slightest idea of the end result.

Just thinking tough, how many cpu wil require? Octa-core at least! :mrgreen: