Sign in with
Your question

Windows Vienna

Last response: in CPUs
October 16, 2006 7:27:12 AM

http://paulstamatiou.com/2006/01/19/life-after-windows-...

so microsoft has allready brought out a codename and are working on a totally new operating system supposedly rumoured to be called Windows Vienna , codenamed Blackcomb .

What new features could this OS bring to our home pcs?

More about : windows vienna

October 16, 2006 7:31:56 AM

Sounds like a wiener to me... have another vienna sausauge? :lol: 
October 16, 2006 8:31:31 AM

Quote:

so microsoft has allready brought out a codename and are working on a totally new operating system supposedly rumoured to be called Windows Vienna , codenamed Blackcomb .

Hmm...other than more hardware upgrades, none that i can think of....
Anyway, i supposed this thread/post should be in other 'place',hm?
Related resources
October 16, 2006 8:43:05 AM

Quote:

One thing I read was that they're going to be doing away with reboot after installs. :-) ABOUT TIME.

Also, I imagine they'll be incorporating their Windows Live! software to bring PC's and consoles even closer together. Let's not forget they're entering the handheld device market. Mp3 players and handheld video games.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2006 8:50:29 AM

Quote:

could this be the 98 of the 95 version of vista?
October 16, 2006 8:58:10 AM

No. It's the next thing after Vista. I forget where I read about it. :-\ Maybe Tom's? Maybe Microsoft.com? Just do a google search on "Windows Vienna" or Microsoft+Vienna"
October 16, 2006 8:58:24 AM

HAving read the blurb, probably not. This sounds like "Windows for your fridge", integrating Microsoft into your entire home.
October 16, 2006 9:01:51 AM

YEP. Just look at Microsoft's goal of taking over the world...I mean...being a monopoly...I mean...having their fingers in everything and taking over every electronic market...I mean...wait. Everything I just said applies. Bill Gates will be on the side of toasters telling us how not to burn our toast by 2009. No doubt.
October 16, 2006 9:15:15 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a wiener to me... have another vienna sausauge? :lol: 

sounds delicious! :lol: 
October 16, 2006 10:35:49 AM

Hope it's not the car version of windows.

Imagine BSOD when you need the abs, stability control and heaven forbid the airbags!!!!
October 16, 2006 10:48:31 AM

Nah. MS takes a lot of crap but look at all the software they have for business. Microsoft Word > Wordperfect. If anything they are improving the PC universe. Mac just did it first, cept nobody really cared because gaming really drives this industry. While the BSOD definitely sucked (and I had one the other day when I turned off my page file just for fun! :-P) I think that you're going to see continual improvements as MS figures out how to stop hackers AND stop blue screens. There's nowhere to go but up...of course, the moment someone says that a hurricane comes along and...
October 16, 2006 10:53:01 AM

Quote:

A free copy of the Ultravox video where Midgure has a dodgy tash :roll:

Ultravox 'Vienna' (On YouTube)

You want to FF to about 1m in for the corus

'This means nothing to me.... Oh Vienna' :p 
October 16, 2006 11:00:58 AM

Hahahaha!!! You're weird. :-P
October 16, 2006 11:07:07 AM

Quote:
Hahahaha!!! You're weird. :-P

I'm amazed nobody else thought of it... Anyhow i couldn't think of anything even remotely funny to say about blackcomb.. mmmm....

Aint Blackcomb a ski resort...? could be downhill all the way :p 

Sorry... I'll go and take my medication now.. :wink:
October 16, 2006 11:13:33 AM

They can't possibly have started work on this OS already, could they? I mean, don't they have to complete Vista first, and THEN build on it? Or is this a brand new OS that they're writing from scratch (highly doubt it)?
October 16, 2006 11:17:07 AM

Quote:
They can't possibly have started work on this OS already, could they? I mean, don't they have to complete Vista first, and THEN build on it? Or is this a brand new OS that they're writing from scratch (highly doubt it)?

They are quite possibly working on the one after Vienna aleady.. It is quite common to be working on a range of versions at the same time. They dont really have to 'finish' Vista to do this.
October 16, 2006 11:46:23 AM

Read on PCMag About codenames, of future Operating Systems of Microsoft up to 2015. And most of time after "Long Horn" Are "Black-----",... something’s and most are just(to my prediction) Operating systems names Other devices, example Car, handheld, and maybe even built in Home theater??. But I’m pretty Sure if Vistas final product holds firm, Microsoft will just keep Service Packing us and adding more and more Anti-piracy and anti-(anything)in their Software to the point of needing Boot disks and Biometrics and Retina Scans and DNA check to be able to access Solitaire, or even Minesweeper. But true, Microsoft Is trying to take over the world, And from this level of Piracy and Anti-everything Paranoia They might just see themselves Concaving in on them self’s before they are eventually just Wiped out from Corruption and Greed and Failure they are just about to create for themselves in the coming months.

Vienna just sounds like the European version of Vista that Microsoft was reworking
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/10/13/microsoft_eu_korean_v...
Seems kind of logical that Vienna Is just Vista For the Italians???
October 16, 2006 12:02:27 PM

Quote:

It'll have a ByteLocker feature that means only authorized personnel can remove a Flash drive.

Maybe a new WGA that will lock you outof your house if you don't pass the test.

AeroPlexiGlass will come with 3D monitors that can cat as babysitters.

It will sit on 3 DVDs take 30 min to install and cost $500.

It will even bundle several small companies.
October 16, 2006 12:39:21 PM

I'm wondering if Microsoft will incorporate a way to control home appliances through their OS... either way, I expect homes to be fully wired soon (maybe in the next 5 years) and that we would be able to run a server that would control all appliances, with a programmable touchscreen LCD (or good ol remote) that can control A/C, Lighting, Blinds, coffee maker (what everyone cares about), and whatnot.

Other than that, I don't see what else they can change unless they make a drastic difference. What I would really like to see is a way to access computer through motion sensors like Minority Report. That might be feasible in a couple of years, we have the technology now.
October 16, 2006 1:09:00 PM

Quote:

It'll have a ByteLocker feature that means only authorized personnel can remove a Flash drive.

Maybe a new WGA that will lock you outof your house if you don't pass the test.

AeroPlexiGlass will come with 3D monitors that can cat as babysitters.

It will sit on 3 DVDs take 30 min to install and cost $500.

It will even bundle several small companies.

Dont you mean 3BluRay's? :wink:
October 16, 2006 3:08:30 PM

No, this will be win95 and vista will be win3.x

huge change in windows, prepare to says goodbye to the old start button.
October 16, 2006 4:14:57 PM

Quote:
YEP. Just look at Microsoft's goal of taking over the world...I mean...being a monopoly...I mean...having their fingers in everything and taking over every electronic market...I mean...wait. Everything I just said applies. Bill Gates will be on the side of toasters telling us how not to burn our toast by 2009. No doubt.

:?

I fail to see how expanding their products to include new catagories is proof that they are trying to be a monopoly to take over the world.

It would be like Toyota saying, "We won't build trucks because we don't want to be a monopoly."

Now, go ahead and criticize their execution, embedded software and marketing strategies, but not the expansion into new realms...
October 16, 2006 4:46:18 PM

"Blackcomb was the version of Windows to follow Whistler, the code-name for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Longhorn got shoehorned in between Whistler and Blackcomb as a quickie release, that quickly metastasized into a major project."

http://entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=6235
October 16, 2006 4:54:28 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's worth arguing now, as it's suppose to be released in 2011 according to Microsoft, which put it probably in 2013 :lol:  .

Right now there mostly doing very early stage concept and no coding at all I would think.

So let us see what Vista will bring first, and in 4 years we'll talk Vienna. No offence, but only try to remember what you tought of "Longhorn" 3 years ago, and what we'll get shortly and I don't think 10% of everybody here had the slightest idea of the end result.

Just thinking tough, how many cpu wil require? Octa-core at least! :mrgreen:
October 16, 2006 5:00:05 PM

Quote:
I expect homes to be fully wired soon (maybe in the next 5 years) and that we would be able to run a server that would control all appliances, with a programmable touchscreen LCD (or good ol remote) that can control A/C, Lighting, Blinds, coffee maker (what everyone cares about), and whatnot.

And the benefit of that would be, exactly?

Yeah, I really want to have to find the remote to open the fridge door, or have to go to an LCD screen in the living room to turn on the microwave in the kitchen.

Better yet, have the shower explode when the microwave BSODs...
October 16, 2006 5:01:23 PM

Quote:

I don't see a problem with Microsoft trying to gain new market. Any company not doing it is plain stupid. Put it this way, imagine the first 13 states (like in USA) would have told their citizen: "Stay home, don't go conquer new territory to the west". Would the USA be what they are now? I doubt it. See a trend? By the way, I'm no american, so don't flame me for the exemple used.

The only difference between Microsoft and many other company is that they have succeed better than other... but all companies have the same goal, so stop flaming them for god sake.
October 16, 2006 5:25:34 PM

Microsoft has been fighting anti-trust battles worldwide for a decade... I'm sorry, were you saying something? We all understand that WalMart, oil, cigarette companies, and pharm companies are "more eviler." The goal of most companies is to make money. Microsoft isn't wrong to want to make money. But it takes money to make money. If a noble lives like a God while everyone else is starving should they not rise up to dethrone him? I'm just wondering if your country has a king...see here in the US, we blindly follow our elected government, but at least we don't (all) worship them too. There's a reason that the western nations have anti-trust laws. It's to keep companies from getting more powerful than government. If everyone has microsoft tech and nobody knows how it works, what's to keep them from brainwashing us? This might sound far fetched, but I'd like to remind you of Hitler, old movies and advertisements that used subliminal messages, and religion. People believe stupid things. It really doesn't take much. Yes, I just called your grandma weak-minded. :-P
October 16, 2006 5:51:12 PM

I am planning an upgrade soon, should I wait for Vienna? The power requirment for all my hardware are enormous and I'm thinking that providing some extra calories to burn will help keep those power requirments down. :D 

hope everyone knows I'm joking
October 16, 2006 6:05:56 PM

Quote:
Microsoft has been fighting anti-trust battles worldwide for a decade... I'm sorry, were you saying something? We all understand that WalMart, oil, cigarette companies, and pharm companies are "more eviler." The goal of most companies is to make money. Microsoft isn't wrong to want to make money. But it takes money to make money. If a noble lives like a God while everyone else is starving should they not rise up to dethrone him? I'm just wondering if your country has a king...see here in the US, we blindly follow our elected government, but at least we don't (all) worship them too. There's a reason that the western nations have anti-trust laws. It's to keep companies from getting more powerful than government. If everyone has microsoft tech and nobody knows how it works, what's to keep them from brainwashing us? This might sound far fetched, but I'd like to remind you of Hitler, old movies and advertisements that used subliminal messages, and religion. People believe stupid things. It really doesn't take much. Yes, I just called your grandma weak-minded. :-P

Far fetched indeed...

I think on one level we are in agreement. However to insist that by expanding into new markets, that are natural markets for Microsoft, is an attempt to take over the world is a little bit of a stretch. Now, Microsoft's anti-trusts suits deal with the manner that they expand, which include the software that is bundled with their OS's.

I mean, no one, went after Google when they bought YouTube for this same 'world domination' theory. In many reagards, YouTube is very far from Google's tradition means of making money (I include Google Video in this as well). Google is a search engine, why are they involved in vidoes at all?

Look at a company like GE. They offer a wifde range of products and are much more of a 'threat' (real or perceived) to world domination.

Microsoft, again not discussing the execuiton, would be foolish not to expand into such emerging technologies. In fact this is arguably the most natural expansion thus far... (I'm looking at you Xbox!... ie hardware) this is at least software...
October 16, 2006 6:54:38 PM

Quote:

Look at a company like GE. They offer a wifde range of products and are much more of a 'threat' (real or perceived) to world domination.
quote]

I see your point, but I would argue that MS is potentially more dangerous than you anticipate, albeit indirectly. Yes, GE is a diverse company. Among its many products GE build's fridges, ranges and ovens which will in the future be "smart", but it will most likely be MS software in the fridge. Software which detects that you have 1/4 quart milk left and forwards an order to the E-supermarket for more milk. The problem is, that order will contain your name, address and payment method. All that info. Managed by MS. Monitored by MS. Coallated and analyzed by MS for marketing. Sold by MS. Potentially stolen from MS. Regardless of whether its a GE fridge, Maytag, Kemore or Frigidaire etc.

http://www.powerlinecommunications.net/smarthomes.htm

As we move further into the future, and progress further into intuitive automation, MS will most likely have its hands in everything. Imagine you're GE, and MS does not certify your new fridge as "Smart Home Ready". MS just killed sales of that fridge. MS will be in a position to damage companies just as they did with WHQL compliance, and as such, force its influence over any aspect of the market where its software is used.

Just a possibility, not fact
October 16, 2006 8:16:39 PM

Again I agree with the premiss of your arguement. However, these smart fridges will have software written by some company, all of which could lose the data or sell it. I argue that it is infact not the fault of MS that technology is making our lives more of a security/privacy risk but rather our insistense on intigrating everything we touch.

Now did/does MS make it difficult for competitors to compete? Absolutely, but we would still be facing this same issue and question of personal security/gadget integration even if there were half a dozen competing major OS software manufacturers? The answer is yes.

So what do we do? Villianize MS for trying to expand? No. Monitor their business practices so that competitors have a fair chance to compete? Yes. Perhaps we should also begin to question our desire to have everything integrated vs. the security/privacy that we are willing to give up.
October 16, 2006 8:21:49 PM

And let me go one step further...

GE not only makes that fridge, but also owns companies that produces the food that you put in that fridge. Of course you know about all these products because GE owns media and entertainment which tell you to put this stuff in their fridge. GE has a lot of control, don't be fooled by the nice little lightbulb icon they use. :wink:
October 16, 2006 9:41:20 PM

Quote:
Again I agree with the premiss of your arguement. However, these smart fridges will have software written by some company, all of which could lose the data or sell it. I argue that it is infact not the fault of MS that technology is making our lives more of a security/privacy risk but rather our insistense on intigrating everything we touch.

I would agree, conditionally. Not everyone, (at least me) wants all of this integration. It certainly has its place, but also limitations and drawbacks, and I would guess there are others who see greater potential loss than gain.

Quote:
Now did/does MS make it difficult for competitors to compete? Absolutely, but we would still be facing this same issue and question of personal security/gadget integration even if there were half a dozen competing major OS software manufacturers? The answer is yes.

So what do we do? Villianize MS for trying to expand? No. Monitor their business practices so that competitors have a fair chance to compete? Yes. Perhaps we should also begin to question our desire to have everything integrated vs. the security/privacy that we are willing to give up.

I agree with you, but not completely. In terms of security (at least unauthorized violations) I believe a more competitive market would benefit. As proof, I would say look at the current IS market. Everone has their preferences, Symantec, PcCillian, Tiny, Black Ice, but I dont think anyone would say "I prefer MS's embedded firewall", and I think you can agree (conspiracy theory of the security firms deliberately creating threats to sell their products aside) that these companies are competing for sales by trying to offer a better product. Lets remember that all the security issues these companies are trying to address, including MS itself, are created by flaws or exploitable features of MS's own software.

Quote:
And let me go one step further...

GE not only makes that fridge, but also owns companies that produces the food that you put in that fridge. Of course you know about all these products because GE owns media and entertainment which tell you to put this stuff in their fridge. GE has a lot of control, don't be fooled by the nice little lightbulb icon they use.

I agree. Im old enough to remember back in the 70s when GE was one of "the Big Six". FoMoCo, IBM, Beatrice, GE, (Sorry, age is getting to me and I forgot the other 2) Fears that these 6 companies would own the world faded to the point no one even remembers the term "Big Six" anymore. GE, once an unbeliveablely diverse and huge company, no longer has the bulk it once did. Niether does Ford, IBM or Beatrice. 5 of my family worked for GE. 4 in the AESD on one in the consumer products division. AESD was sold off to MM\Lockheed and the CP division in our area was downsized to extinction. So GEs potential for expansion seems not so bright as it once was. MS on the other hand, has a lot of potential to expand in the future, especially with integration/smart technologies which is why I would agree that there is potential for them to dominate the market.
October 16, 2006 9:47:07 PM

You forgot GM and Ma Bell. Really Turpit, how could you? :wink:
I have serious problems with my fridge or any other appliance in my house being connected to any company or even worse to the internet.
If it can connect to the web, it can be corrupted by viruses.
October 16, 2006 9:57:21 PM

yeah we windows on our scanners (snapon) for cars :D 

they are batt powered and suckup more than laptops
October 16, 2006 10:51:24 PM

Quote:
You forgot GM and Ma Bell. Really Turpit, how could you? :wink:

ARGHHHH. Dammmit. How could I forget Bell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/kicking myself in arse] :oops: 

Quote:
I have serious problems with my fridge or any other appliance in my house being connected to any company or even worse to the internet.
If it can connect to the web, it can be corrupted by viruses.

Could give new meaning to E-Coli :wink:
October 16, 2006 10:56:09 PM

Har dee freakin har...
Think about it, Service packs for your fridge.... right next to the six packs :wink:
October 16, 2006 11:13:31 PM

Quote:
Har dee freakin har...
Think about it, Service packs for your fridge.... right next to the six packs :wink:

MS could call them SiPi cups :D 
October 16, 2006 11:21:52 PM

Imagine that, Microsoft Brand Beer. You have the Basic, Home(brew), Pro and Ultimate versions of the brew... not something I look forward to when I turn 21. :x
And yet this isn't venturing the least bit off topic because this topic is already off base to begin with... :D 
October 16, 2006 11:30:33 PM

Quote:

wtf planet are you on. You think people outside of America worship royalty? And you don't worship your president, so what do you? The dollar?

Far-faetched doesn't describe that. Brainwashed does, only someone removed the brainwashing device halfway through and something went oh so wrong...
October 16, 2006 11:38:42 PM

Quote:
Imagine that, Microsoft Brand Beer. You have the Basic, Home(brew), Pro and Ultimate versions of the brew... not something I look forward to when I turn 21. :x
And yet this isn't venturing the least bit off topic because this topic is already off base to begin with... :D 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Sadly for MS, its been done, sort of, by the Brits with cider. You have the entry level "woodpecker", the mid range "Strongbow" and the ultimate "Diamondwhite", none of which, I would object to having my Vista run GE fridge ordering for me . :wink:
October 16, 2006 11:45:06 PM

I say it again, I agree with you. Competition is great for this. However I do not think that MS should be forced not to compete in this new market. Like them or not, they do provide a product that many people use and like each day. I do hope that new or existing software manufacturers are able to compete on an even playing field as MS.

On a side note, I just had a bottle of Microsoft Ale 2006 (a good vintage) but I'm afraid the bottle had been penetrated and now I have a worm that has infected me :wink:
October 16, 2006 11:45:19 PM

Then either MS or Apple will gobble that company up and impliment my idea.
To Bill Gates and Steve Jobs: I want $500 for each character in that idea. I know you guys can afford it.
October 17, 2006 12:02:57 AM

Quote:
On a side note, I just had a bottle of Microsoft Ale 2006 (a good vintage) but I'm afraid the bottle had been penetrated and now I have a worm that has infected me :wink:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Quote:
I say it again, I agree with you. Competition is great for this. However I do not think that MS should be forced not to compete in this new market. Like them or not, they do provide a product that many people use and like each day. I do hope that new or existing software manufacturers are able to compete on an even playing field as MS.
Oh, I agree, they should be allowed to compete, and with their 'infiltration' :wink: of various world governments, I dont think anyone, even the EU is going to prevent them from doing so.

I am just more concerned with the potential threats to security, primarily. For that reason, I would like to see a lttle more (I cant believe Im going to type this) govenmental control 8O and competition.
October 17, 2006 12:40:34 AM

Quote:
yeah we windows on our scanners (snapon) for cars :D 

they are batt powered and suckup more than laptops

I dunno, all this with MS involved in cars scares the heck out of me already.

Ever sit through a Defensive driving course?
They always talk about the 3 impacts in a car crash, i.e.:
Impact 1: vehicle crashes; hits an object,
Impact 2: passengers inside hit vehicle;
Impact 3: internal organs inside passengers crash against bone structure...

Now add one more crash to the list & read it again...

Impact 1: Windows has an impact, CRASH!!! BSOD!!!!
Impact 2: vehicle crashes; hits an object,
Impact 3: passengers inside hit vehicle;
Impact 4: internal organs inside passengers crash against bone structure...

...at least you can hit the reset button & go into "SAFE MODE, Drop off at nearest E.R.?"...
DOH!!! airbags didn't deploy cuz you kept clicking on update later for the safety security patch "K666BYOUNEEDTHISONETOO"!!!

Uh, I'll take the no windows model please... maybe Linux.

... 8O even worst Windows in a Boeing 747 or in an Airbus airliner 8O
October 17, 2006 12:46:09 AM

no i mean the scantools that i use (snap-on solus,modis) use windows.

as for todays automobiles, they can have up to 70 to 80 cpu,s
in them :ouch:  :D 
October 17, 2006 12:49:18 AM

Quote:
Then either MS or Apple will gobble that company up and impliment my idea.
To Bill Gates and Steve Jobs: I want $500 for each character in that idea. I know you guys can afford it.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
October 17, 2006 12:54:30 AM

Quote:

... 8O even worst Windows in a Boeing 747 or in an Airbus airliner 8O

Airbus doesnt need MS windows to fail, its own software does that job very well on its own:

October 17, 2006 1:51:14 AM

Quote:
no i mean the scantools that i use (snap-on solus,modis) use windows.

as for todays automobiles, they can have up to 70 to 80 cpu,s
in them :ouch:  :D 

None of them running WinOS.
!