Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

D-Link DSL-G604T

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:55:56 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi,

Back in June, I bought a D-Link DSL-G604T modem/router and because it was
noisy when the the dsl line was connected (it made a high-pitched hissing
noise), I sent it back. D-Link then sent me another but this one failed to
"find" the dsl telephone line so I sent that one back too. So D-Link sends
me another and lo-and-behold, I have the same problem ! If I recall rightly,
the first router found the dsl connection (the light on the router lit up)
and then it was up to me the configure the connection so I was up and
running fairly quickly. I find it hard to believe that 2 routers can have
the same problem so I wonder if its something I'm missing. The LAN works
fine by the way.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Cheers

Peter

More about : link dsl g604t

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:21:23 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

In news:o SSPEAgsFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Pete Kennedy <peterkennedy@nahhhh.com> typed:
> Hi,
>
> Back in June, I bought a D-Link DSL-G604T modem/router and because it
> was noisy when the the dsl line was connected (it made a high-pitched
> hissing noise), I sent it back. D-Link then sent me another but this
> one failed to "find" the dsl telephone line so I sent that one back
> too. So D-Link sends me another and lo-and-behold, I have the same
> problem ! If I recall rightly, the first router found the dsl
> connection (the light on the router lit up) and then it was up to me
> the configure the connection so I was up and running fairly quickly.
> I find it hard to believe that 2 routers can have the same problem so
> I wonder if its something I'm missing. The LAN works fine by the way.
>
> Anyone have any ideas ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter

Do you have filters on *every* phone jack in your house/office that has that
phone line on 'em? Even if you don't actually have a phone plugged into all
of them?
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 8:06:54 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

hi i have the same router i also work in a computer shop we have now
stoped selling this router because of the high number of returns adsl
line kept droping out and also d-links all so complicated rma (returns)
system which frankly takes more time than it worth ne ways i am on my
secound d-link and has been behaveing itsself fingers crossed for past
few months it dose make that high pitched noise that u described and
also interfears with the phone uless the erial is moved the strange
thing about that is that itis a wired phone confuses brown matter outta
i am sticking with mine because it is working quite well my advice GET
A NETGEAR
unless u got it from my shop then stick with it :) 

6ft crab
Related resources
September 23, 2005 5:48:43 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi, I've had a G604T for a year now and had no issues with it aside from the
'slight' noise. However it's easily drowned out by my desktop case fans....
ChrisC
"pragi" <pragi_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1127430413.319733.21490@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> hi i have the same router i also work in a computer shop we have now
> stoped selling this router because of the high number of returns adsl
> line kept droping out and also d-links all so complicated rma (returns)
> system which frankly takes more time than it worth ne ways i am on my
> secound d-link and has been behaveing itsself fingers crossed for past
> few months it dose make that high pitched noise that u described and
> also interfears with the phone uless the erial is moved the strange
> thing about that is that itis a wired phone confuses brown matter outta
> i am sticking with mine because it is working quite well my advice GET
> A NETGEAR
> unless u got it from my shop then stick with it :) 
>
> 6ft crab
>
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 6:49:00 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

i think you get me wrong as i said i have one myself that is working
without fault apart from having to be powered down every so often in a
reset type way this is only for the fact that my ping is high in games
otherwise..
with the returns i am saying returns where 1 or 2 outta 5 sold this is
an un-acceptable number for a buisness specaly when the rma system
takes about 20mins per unit

jus what i know no reason to lie....

6ftcrab
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 7:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

As a local independent computer shop, I must say that the amount of
dogs going for a weewee up against my front facing wall is
unnacceptable !
Add that to the noise coming from above in the NHS waiting room for
perpetually demented buffoons and I think you'll find that is a lot
easier to be a shop on an industrial estate out of town.
Except for the fact that if I was on an industrial estate then that
goon Alex Dyke would keep me awake in the mornings !

Have any other readers notices that things aren't what they once were,
and do they perhaps remember when this was all just fields?
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 2:47:57 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"pragi" <pragi_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1127430413.319733.21490@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> hi i have the same router i also work in a computer shop we have now
> stoped selling this router because of the high number of returns adsl
> line kept droping out and also d-links all so complicated rma (returns)
> system which frankly takes more time than it worth ne ways i am on my
> secound d-link and has been behaveing itsself fingers crossed for past
> few months it dose make that high pitched noise that u described and
> also interfears with the phone uless the erial is moved the strange
> thing about that is that itis a wired phone confuses brown matter outta
> i am sticking with mine because it is working quite well my advice GET
> A NETGEAR
> unless u got it from my shop then stick with it :) 
>
> 6ft crab
>

This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses and
use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works well.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 11:21:18 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

>
> This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses
> and use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works
> well.

-------------------
I'm trying to find out, what causes my connection droputs with this unit.
Do you have a WLAN connection working? Can you tell me more about your
throughput on high transfer rates?
Does the temperature increase cause dropouts?
I'd be interested to hear more about this from D-Link 604 users.
My max is 10 Mbps, which wouldn't worry me so much, but after about 2
minutes, the connection drops with this load.

Anybody experiences anything similar ?

Thanks
H.N.
September 25, 2005 11:21:19 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the garden,
despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external D-Link Ant24 fitted.
My connections aways show excellent to very good, 54mbps and I get no
connection drops. What firmware are you using and have tried changing the
channel that the wireless is using?
ChrisC
"Herbert Nagler" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3pn8glFb3vkqU1@individual.net...
> Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
>
>>
>> This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses
>> and use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works
>> well.
>
> -------------------
> I'm trying to find out, what causes my connection droputs with this unit.
> Do you have a WLAN connection working? Can you tell me more about your
> throughput on high transfer rates?
> Does the temperature increase cause dropouts?
> I'd be interested to hear more about this from D-Link 604 users.
> My max is 10 Mbps, which wouldn't worry me so much, but after about 2
> minutes, the connection drops with this load.
>
> Anybody experiences anything similar ?
>
> Thanks
> H.N.
>
>
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 10:40:37 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

ChrisC wrote:
> Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the
> garden, despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external
> D-Link Ant24 fitted. My connections aways show excellent to very
> good, 54mbps and I get no connection drops. What firmware are you
> using and have tried changing the channel that the wireless is using?
> ChrisC
----------------
Chris, thanks for your reply.
I have the latest firmware on all units, and i've changed the channels with
no success.
The reception strength shows around 50% on the PC with the wireless PCI
adapter.
I don't have connection problems unless I send big files. My throughput was
never higher than 10 Mbps.
For more info, see the other thread below:
"WLAN dropping out on big file transfer"

H.N.
September 26, 2005 5:37:21 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi again, what laptops are you using?
ChrisC
"Herbert Nagler" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3poga9Fbi1ggU1@individual.net...
> ChrisC wrote:
>> Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the
>> garden, despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external
>> D-Link Ant24 fitted. My connections aways show excellent to very
>> good, 54mbps and I get no connection drops. What firmware are you
>> using and have tried changing the channel that the wireless is using?
>> ChrisC
> ----------------
> Chris, thanks for your reply.
> I have the latest firmware on all units, and i've changed the channels
> with
> no success.
> The reception strength shows around 50% on the PC with the wireless PCI
> adapter.
> I don't have connection problems unless I send big files. My throughput
> was
> never higher than 10 Mbps.
> For more info, see the other thread below:
> "WLAN dropping out on big file transfer"
>
> H.N.
>
>
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 2:51:00 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Herbert Nagler" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3pn8glFb3vkqU1@individual.net...
> Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
>
>>
>> This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses
>> and use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works
>> well.
>
> -------------------
> I'm trying to find out, what causes my connection droputs with this unit.
> Do you have a WLAN connection working? Can you tell me more about your
> throughput on high transfer rates?
> Does the temperature increase cause dropouts?

Temperature increase on anything can cause dropouts, especially modems.

> I'd be interested to hear more about this from D-Link 604 users.
> My max is 10 Mbps, which wouldn't worry me so much, but after about 2
> minutes, the connection drops with this load.
>
> Anybody experiences anything similar ?
>

Nothing like that at all. I don't have mine on 24 hours a day simply because
I live in a high destruction area with lightning storms and the rest. I turn
mine off when not in and unplug but I can be going 18 hours in a row and
never a problem. I believe an individual unit can be a dud but the line has
been fabulous wherever I have used them. Putting another in at a Govt office
in the next week.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 2:52:29 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Herbert Nagler" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3poga9Fbi1ggU1@individual.net...
> ChrisC wrote:
>> Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the
>> garden, despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external
>> D-Link Ant24 fitted. My connections aways show excellent to very
>> good, 54mbps and I get no connection drops. What firmware are you
>> using and have tried changing the channel that the wireless is using?
>> ChrisC
> ----------------
> Chris, thanks for your reply.
> I have the latest firmware on all units, and i've changed the channels
> with
> no success.
> The reception strength shows around 50% on the PC with the wireless PCI
> adapter.
> I don't have connection problems unless I send big files. My throughput
> was
> never higher than 10 Mbps.
> For more info, see the other thread below:
> "WLAN dropping out on big file transfer"
>
> H.N.
>
>

What wi-fi NIC are you using? I find the PCI variety invariably are the
cause of dropouts. That is why I go for external USB ones where possible.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 2:53:44 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eCUvv0DwFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi, I've had a G604T for a year now and had no issues with it aside from
> the 'slight' noise. However it's easily drowned out by my desktop case
> fans....

I have read about people saying there is a noise before. Never heard it
before. Just out of interest, if you open the case when the modem is in use,
does the noise drop off?
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 2:55:17 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"pragi" <pragi_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1127512140.858085.164020@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>i think you get me wrong as i said i have one myself that is working
> without fault apart from having to be powered down every so often in a
> reset type way this is only for the fact that my ping is high in games
> otherwise..
> with the returns i am saying returns where 1 or 2 outta 5 sold this is
> an un-acceptable number for a buisness specaly when the rma system
> takes about 20mins per unit
>
> jus what i know no reason to lie....
>
> 6ftcrab
>

They don't get those sort of returns however. I also have been using them in
private business installations and am soon to put one in a Govt dept. I also
use one myself. No problems to date.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 10:19:11 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

ChrisC wrote:
> Hi again, what laptops are you using?
> ChrisC
---------------------
no laptops, just 2 desktops.
One with a wired D-Link DFE-528 TX PCI adapter, the other one wireless
D-510.

I since experimented with a wired run (25 m), switching off the wireless
card and using onboard ethernet on the receiving PC.
If I start the heavy transfer, the copying first flies along with ~80 Mbps.
No dropouts, but after about 3 minutes it throttles itself to about 14 Mbps
and my software on the sending desktop becomes real sluggish. I have to
reboot to be back in business.
I"m looking at software aspects now. It is as if my ethernet software cannot
cope with heavy traffic. Now I'd like to find out, which software determines
the transfers. Is it Windows (2000) or is it firmware from the router? (I
have no clue about this).
It's not much of a hassle, because I don't have to send heavy files often,
but I'd still like to find out what causes it.
Normal traffic like internet traffic is ok.

H.N.
September 27, 2005 12:52:21 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi, Diamontina, if I unplug the phone line the noise stops, as for taking
the case apart I think it would only make the noise slightly louder and
something I'm not about to do...
ChrisC
"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
news:u%23E6olpwFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eCUvv0DwFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi, I've had a G604T for a year now and had no issues with it aside from
>> the 'slight' noise. However it's easily drowned out by my desktop case
>> fans....
>
> I have read about people saying there is a noise before. Never heard it
> before. Just out of interest, if you open the case when the modem is in
> use, does the noise drop off?
>
>
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 2:49:09 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Herbert Nagler" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3pr3e4Fbq3q4U1@individual.net...
> ChrisC wrote:
>> Hi again, what laptops are you using?
>> ChrisC
> ---------------------
> no laptops, just 2 desktops.
> One with a wired D-Link DFE-528 TX PCI adapter, the other one wireless
> D-510.
>
> I since experimented with a wired run (25 m), switching off the wireless
> card and using onboard ethernet on the receiving PC.
> If I start the heavy transfer, the copying first flies along with ~80
> Mbps.
> No dropouts, but after about 3 minutes it throttles itself to about 14
> Mbps
> and my software on the sending desktop becomes real sluggish. I have to
> reboot to be back in business.

You have the speed set to auto somewhere in your hardware by the sound of
it. This may or may not be a good thing depending on how much interference
you get. I set mine to the highest that my NICs could do and it has resulted
in better transfer times because, for reasons unknown, the NICs would drop
back in a continuous transfer, to a slower speed even though there was no
reason to do so.

> I"m looking at software aspects now. It is as if my ethernet software
> cannot
> cope with heavy traffic. Now I'd like to find out, which software
> determines
> the transfers. Is it Windows (2000) or is it firmware from the router? (I
> have no clue about this).

It's possible. For example, Boinc can be set to use all the available CPU
cycles. A lot of spyware and some trojans do the same, too. Your antivirus
may also be causing this in transfers and if you have antivirus at both ends
then it may be a doubling effect.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:47:13 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

>
> You have the speed set to auto somewhere in your hardware by the
> sound of it. This may or may not be a good thing depending on how
> much interference you get. I set mine to the highest that my NICs
> could do and it has resulted in better transfer times because, for
> reasons unknown, the NICs would drop back in a continuous transfer,
> to a slower speed even though there was no reason to do so.
--snip---
> It's possible. For example, Boinc can be set to use all the available
> CPU cycles. A lot of spyware and some trojans do the same, too. Your
> antivirus may also be causing this in transfers and if you have
> antivirus at both ends then it may be a doubling effect.

--------------
Diamontina, thanks for your reply !

Speed in the G604T is indeed set to auto (default). But this should affect
only wireless transfer. But I'll check this out when next time I switch back
to wireless (disabled atm).
I might check the NICs next, if there's an adjustment. I must admit, I don't
have ideal transmitting conditions. There are 2 brickwalls in the way. But
the direct ethernet connection via CAT5 also puzzles me. I also downloaded a
netsniffer, which might give me some clue.
Thanks for the suggestions about the anti-virus software. I'll disable that
too, as well as the firewalls, which I'm still running on both PCs, although
with set IP permissions.
It'll take me a few days, but I'll report back.

H.N.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 11:40:52 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Excuse the full post but the reason I asked about opening the case goes back
to the 80s. A 2400 baud dial-up modem had just come out over here, I knew
the owners of the company that made it and when I bought one, not long
after, I noted line noise galore. It was Summer, the room wasn't air
conditioned and the old modem, put back in use, didn't have that problem.
So, I took the lid off the case to see if there was a dry solder or
something else causing it. I didn't find anything and was using the modem at
the time so didn't put the top back on and while using it the line noise
stopped. I put the top back on and it started again so I assumed it was
heat. I took the top off again and it went after a few minutes once more. I
reported this to the owners who didn't understand why putting vents in the
hood of the modem should make a difference so I told them to test. They did
and next model came out with vent holes from then on.

Heat could be the problem where you are, too. Taking the top off will test
the idea and let's face it, if it is a defect in manufacture that can only
be overcome by opening the case, you have a right to take it back or get
D-Link to do something. Worth the effort in your case I would think.


"ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7CO5hzwFHA.3756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi, Diamontina, if I unplug the phone line the noise stops, as for taking
> the case apart I think it would only make the noise slightly louder and
> something I'm not about to do...
> ChrisC
> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
> news:u%23E6olpwFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:eCUvv0DwFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi, I've had a G604T for a year now and had no issues with it aside from
>>> the 'slight' noise. However it's easily drowned out by my desktop case
>>> fans....
>>
>> I have read about people saying there is a noise before. Never heard it
>> before. Just out of interest, if you open the case when the modem is in
>> use, does the noise drop off?
>>
>>
>
>
September 28, 2005 5:45:23 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi again, no heat isn't the problem as it does it from the moment I switch
it on. As I said before I'm not bothered by it at all, however some other
owners who experience the same noise are, maybe theirs are louder, who
knows.
Thanks for your help anyway...
ChrisC
"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
news:%23Es%23iw6wFHA.3180@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> Excuse the full post but the reason I asked about opening the case goes
> back to the 80s. A 2400 baud dial-up modem had just come out over here, I
> knew the owners of the company that made it and when I bought one, not
> long after, I noted line noise galore. It was Summer, the room wasn't air
> conditioned and the old modem, put back in use, didn't have that problem.
> So, I took the lid off the case to see if there was a dry solder or
> something else causing it. I didn't find anything and was using the modem
> at the time so didn't put the top back on and while using it the line
> noise stopped. I put the top back on and it started again so I assumed it
> was heat. I took the top off again and it went after a few minutes once
> more. I reported this to the owners who didn't understand why putting
> vents in the hood of the modem should make a difference so I told them to
> test. They did and next model came out with vent holes from then on.
>
> Heat could be the problem where you are, too. Taking the top off will test
> the idea and let's face it, if it is a defect in manufacture that can only
> be overcome by opening the case, you have a right to take it back or get
> D-Link to do something. Worth the effort in your case I would think.
>
>
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:e7CO5hzwFHA.3756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi, Diamontina, if I unplug the phone line the noise stops, as for taking
>> the case apart I think it would only make the noise slightly louder and
>> something I'm not about to do...
>> ChrisC
>> "Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message
>> news:u%23E6olpwFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:eCUvv0DwFHA.2728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>> Hi, I've had a G604T for a year now and had no issues with it aside
>>>> from the 'slight' noise. However it's easily drowned out by my desktop
>>>> case fans....
>>>
>>> I have read about people saying there is a noise before. Never heard it
>>> before. Just out of interest, if you open the case when the modem is in
>>> use, does the noise drop off?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:46:46 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I've got the wired part working well now. I set both NICs from auto to 100
full mode, which made the difference.
I had previously disabled both firewalls and Anti-Virus programs without
success.

I've yet to try this on wireless, when I get around to it. I feel happily
lazy after this part success.
Catch ya later,
H.N.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 6:01:05 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

my DSL-G604T has this noise too. Its pitch is very high.
But as you said earlier, the desktop fan easily drowns it out.
However, I wouldn't want to sleep with it in one room, when everything else
is turned off.

H.N.
September 29, 2005 11:45:05 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Well done Herbert, you deserve a glas of wine, or two :-)
ChrisC
"Herbert Nagler" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3q16dcFcm2odU1@individual.net...
> I've got the wired part working well now. I set both NICs from auto to 100
> full mode, which made the difference.
> I had previously disabled both firewalls and Anti-Virus programs without
> success.
>
> I've yet to try this on wireless, when I get around to it. I feel happily
> lazy after this part success.
> Catch ya later,
> H.N.
>
>
September 29, 2005 11:46:57 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Me neither, although I sleep in the room immediately next to the router and
it doesn't disturb me at all....
ChrisC
"Herbert Nagler" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:3q1785Fcr3j0U1@individual.net...
> my DSL-G604T has this noise too. Its pitch is very high.
> But as you said earlier, the desktop fan easily drowns it out.
> However, I wouldn't want to sleep with it in one room, when everything
> else
> is turned off.
>
> H.N.
>
>
December 21, 2008 1:44:51 AM

I just purchased a NEW D Link Router. Because the one that I had was letting VIRUSES into my Computer. I did not have control of it ONLINE, somebody else did. Thats BAD news they have been sending all sorts of viruses to my compute. The really bad one was a COMMERCIAL RAT known as Planet Remote. It has full control but you dont allways reconize it. It says viruses were up to date. It just gives false information. I am going to put Network Cable in. No more ROUTERS for me. There are programs that take control of your Password and Login ONLINE, within minutes. This a fairly new problem started showing up in 2007. They took over TWO ROUTERS. Absoloutely useless you have no control. Check and make sure you are logged in ONLINE. Its so easy to setup most router setups are available online. No security at all. Its a RUSSIAN based programme called ZLOB. Check it for yourself!
!