Is it worth upgrading my 6800GT AGP to a 7600GT AGP?
Is it worth it for any performance improvements?
Would it be a whole lot better to save up for a while and change completely over to PCI even if it could take a year?
Personal prefrences are welcome.
i just recently had moved from a 6600GT to a 7600GT also making the move from AGP to PCI-E in the process so i kind of understand where your coming from. I think with all the price drops and new products in the upcoming months the best thing to do is wait. wait until atleast around christmas to buy anything really. There would be a noticeable gain in a 7600GT from a 6800GT, but you will save money if you wait a lil bit.
I too wrestled with this dilema for a while (see sig for specs). After much research into benchmarks etc I determined for me personally the performance increase would not be worth dropping the extra cash in the vast majority of benchmarks. I chose to save, in your shoes I would do the same.
I don't know what you're able to save/month but I personally in the last 3 months have saved just about the whole wad for a new system including the new quad coming out. I'm just a little shy of being able to get an 8800GTX at the moment but by the time I do my build I'll have that $ as well. Either way I'd suggest pinching ole Abe Lincoln til his little copper head pops off and soon enjoy a new system.
It has taken a lot of willpower for me due to the fact I'm not re-using any old parts but handing down my current PC to my 4 1/2 year old son. Yes he can navigate websites fairly well and the whole nine yards. Been sitting in daddy's lap wanting to get involved since 2 chip off the old block !
If you can re-use some parts then the "save" time might not be so painful. Good luck with whatever you decide