iPhone Demand Slips as Galaxy S3 Interest is "Red Hot"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
This looks about right.
Now it's just a matter of time before the android synergy kicks in.
Too bad for Apple; seems the iPhone 5 wasn't as perfect as it should have been.

G

The reports about a cut in iPhone demand has been seriously questioned by Forbes.

I still don't get why people think the iPhone 5 was a disappointment, I don't own one but I still think the sum of the following is a pretty good upgrader:

Better camera
Bigger display
Better display
Slimmer
Lighter
Better CPU performance
LTE
Noise canceling tech

I mean, what was people expecting?

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
It's just a matter of time until all apple products become again niche products, like they were before the iPod.
It's all about software and compatibility... and Android on mobiles is like Windows on PC's 15 years ago, works on all kind of devices, all shapes and sizes, all prices, and just like windows was, it's application base keep growing and growing and working on most devices.

Not to mention that without Steve Job's vision... I really doubt that they can come up in the near future with something really NEW, they'll just milk the same cows until they run dry.
In a constantly weakening economy, their very expensive products will find less and less customers willing to pay that much...

Sure, they were innovative, but everyone else caught up, with Samsung being the tip of the spear.

Thanks for the mobile "revolution" Apple, you'll be missed. Or not.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
From a hardware perspective, the iPhone 5 was an excellent phone, a nice evolution over previous iPhones, but iOS isn't evolving at all and smartphones are fashion objects as well. People just got bored of seing so many iPhones with their square icons everywhere and no doubt the same will soon happen to the Galaxy S3... it's just a matter of time.
See what happened to Nokia, HTC,... they all have ups and downs, you can't stay forever at the top and from a customer perspective, it's nice to rediscover the product of a once big company making a comeback (Nokia Lumias) or to look at new challengers (Huwaei) ... variety is the spice of life !!!

siddallj

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Gotta admit changing from Iphone to S3 was the best move ever. Android is so much better for me.
Live data updates in Widgets, better notification system.
Totally allows you to set up your phone how you want.

yamman101

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I couldn't help but notice the text directly under the title: 'iOS leads user satisfaction in terms of mobile platforms, though.'

Seems about what I have come to expect from Zak Islam...

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I still don't know why everyone wants a GS3 when better phones are out there, with both Android and Windows Phone. The iPhone 5 is about the equivalent of SG3, so a switch to that one won't be taken in consideration to anyone.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Iphone users are satisfied because they've never experienced anything better!! You can't explain the feeling of driving a Ferrari to someone who drives a Japanese kei car all their lives...LOL.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]I still don't know why everyone wants a GS3 when better phones are out there, with both Android and Windows Phone. The iPhone 5 is about the equivalent of SG3, so a switch to that one won't be taken in consideration to anyone.[/citation]

You really think they're equivalent? You may want to do a personal comparison and see how much more the GS3 has to offer.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"As for Apple, it's not such a bright outlook..."

Seriously, is anyone really surprised?
We've had that all along in the past. Only this time it would take some serious
voodoo to make Mr. Jobs come back and find a way to get that cart out of the mud.

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Apple slid from 71% to "only" 50% of the market? The other 50% going to ALL other smartphones combined? This is hardly a win for Android.

rocwurst

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Zac, I think you'd better look more closely at the Changewave graph you reference as your conclusion is quite distorted.

At the launch of the iPhone 5, a massive 71% of consumers planned to buy the iPhone while at the launch of the Samsung 3 during the previous quarter only 19% planned to buy Samsung.

Samsung has been stuck between 13% and 21% for the past 12 months while the iPhone has oscilated between 50% and 71% over the same timeframe. (there is always a seasonal drop after the launch of a new iPhone model in Changewave's charts)

Apple has sold 220 million iPhones in the same time as Samsung sold less than half that - 100 million Galaxy smartphones.

In a single week of sales at the end of Q3 2012, the iPhone 5 captured 27% of the entire worldwide 4G LTE subscriber base according to Strategy Analytics despite Android LTE smartphones being available for more than 12 months prior to that point.

Then there is the 5 million iPhones sold in the launch weekend over 5 countries and 2 million sold over the launch weekend in China and analyst's estimates of an enormous 55 million iPhones being sold in Q4 2012 and Kantar's report that the iPhone captured a massive 53% of smartphone sales in the USA last quarter.

If the Samsung Galaxy S3 is red hot, I guess that means the iPhone is white hot.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]Zeatrix184[/nom]The reports about a cut in iPhone demand has been seriously questioned by Forbes.I still don't get why people think the iPhone 5 was a disappointment, I don't own one but I still think the sum of the following is a pretty good upgrader:Better cameraBigger displayBetter displaySlimmerLighterBetter CPU performanceLTENoise canceling techI mean, what was people expecting?[/citation]

Forbes? Their reporting is questionable.

The new model year turd has plenty of new features too, but it's still a turd. All of those "upgrades" were last year's tech for Android (and even WinMo) devices. Bigger screen? Ha! 5" is a bigger screen. 4" is stuck in 2009. Don't even get me started on LTE... It's too little/too late. It sells because Apple has locked a large number of people into an ecosystem with no options, and because they have a sensational marketing dept. If Apple knew how to continue improving their products like they know how to market them, I might not have a GS3 right now. ;)

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]Zac, I think you'd better look more closely at the Changewave graph you reference as your conclusion is quite distorted.At the launch of the iPhone 5, a massive 71% of consumers planned to buy the iPhone while at the launch of the Samsung 3 during the previous quarter only 19% planned to buy Samsung.Samsung has been stuck between 13% and 21% for the past 12 months while the iPhone has oscilated between 50% and 71% over the same timeframe. (there is always a seasonal drop after the launch of a new iPhone model in Changewave's charts)Apple has sold 220 million iPhones in the same time as Samsung sold less than half that - 100 million Galaxy smartphones.In a single week of sales at the end of Q3 2012, the iPhone 5 captured 27% of the entire worldwide 4G LTE subscriber base according to Strategy Analytics despite Android LTE smartphones being available for more than 12 months prior to that point.Then there is the 5 million iPhones sold in the launch weekend over 5 countries and 2 million sold over the launch weekend in China and analyst's estimates of an enormous 55 million iPhones being sold in Q4 2012 and Kantar's report that the iPhone captured a massive 53% of smartphone sales in the USA last quarter.If the Samsung Galaxy S3 is red hot, I guess that means the iPhone is white hot.[/citation]

You're one quarter behind, my friend.

The reason this is new is because of the trend. Up until the just-past holiday season, Android had been gaining on Apple, HOWEVER, Apple was still advancing. We are now at the pivot. The iPhone 5 launch will go down as the watershed moment in Apple's rise-and-fall story, the definitive point where it could be argued that Apple failed. Every iPhone up to the 4S launched as a truly superior phone. This is what gave Apple its incredible momentum as it appeared that they just existed on another plane, and no one else was operating at their level. The 4S launch is where the doubt began to surface, because it was merely an equivalent to the Galaxy S2 that launched just weeks prior. It was the first time that Apple failed to set the bar at another incredible height. They merely matched their competition. The iPhone 5 confirmed everyone's fears when it launched, as it was actually inferior...for the first time a brand new iPhone was not the best phone available. Apple built it's empire on wowing the world with incredible products that no one else could offer. These days it's simply showing us alternatives to existing concepts. Thus, the bubble is bursting, as they say.

Don't get me wrong, Apple isn't "doomed". They've got so much money on hand that they couldn't possibly go anywhere. However, their days at the top are over. Apple's mobile products will always be competitive offerings, but from here on out the iPhone and iPad will be exactly what the Mac has been for the last decade...a niche computer for a particular type of customer.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
I think the Android "Sheep" are even bigger fan boys than the Apple Fan boys. 50% of surveyed are going Apple and 20% are picking Samsung and yet Samsung is red hot while the future is Dim for Apple? The numbers just don't add up.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Zeatrix184[/nom]The reports about a cut in iPhone demand has been seriously questioned by Forbes.I still don't get why people think the iPhone 5 was a disappointment, I don't own one but I still think the sum of the following is a pretty good upgrader:Better cameraBigger displayBetter displaySlimmerLighterBetter CPU performanceLTENoise canceling techI mean, what was people expecting?[/citation]

Note that all the pro's you listed end in -er. That basically means that there's nothing new and innovative about it.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
It seems like a silly thing... but Apple changing the docking plug was a REALLY dumb idea. I just made the switch from iPhone 4 to a Razr Maxx HD... they were both close in performance (5 vs Razr) but the thing that tipped it for me was battery life. If the 5 had stayed with the same docking connector, all the iPhone peripherals I've got would have tipped it back. Even if they'd changed the connector... if they'd gone with micro-usb like the rest of the world then I'd probably have gone with the 5, but I'll not buy another Apple device that will require me to buy a bunch of proprietarals that they'll orphan in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.