tgstyle

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Anyone know of a kit to make a non-modular psu modular? Or maybe some devices to do so? All it really needs is some coupling devices to place on the lines. Something that has the proper amount of connections per line and wires?

Thanks!

The P/S would have to be designed in the first place allowing room for the locating of the output connectors, and not blocking any designed airflow path through the P/S itself.

The male and female plugs can be acquired through any Radio Shack online, or any online electrical parts warehouse like Parts Express, but whether your idea is a good one or not, remains to be realized.

tgstyle

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Its in a v1000 case so I don't have to worry about airflow. I would rather have the cables hanging with the couplers then the cables I don't use all bunched up in a wad anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion of Radio Shack.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
I have 2 V1000 cases,what I did on my gaming rig was drilled some holes in the back and hid all wires in between the right side panel and chassis,you'd be amazed at what u can fit in between there,did do a little more fine tuning after the pics,but you get the idea,just make sure u blow out the case really good.:

before:
newrig2.jpg

after:
p1010003.jpg

p1010005.jpg

and the end
1.jpg

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I just wanted to point out the obvious since no one said anything... opening the PSU will void your warranty, and messing around with the interior circuitry will have a very real chance of death if you don't know what your doing.

Now that thats out of the way, why not just buy a modular PSU.. you might save some money, but trust me, the trouble would not be worth it.

tgstyle

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
One reason - you can't always get all the options or what you want in the current line of Modular PSUs :D. Thanks for the reminder on the void of warranty. I was aware of that but some people may not be.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I am planning on doing the same thing only I will add the modular connections outside the PSU, and only for cables I dont' need or want to shorten.

The unused cables will be short enough that I can just hook them to the top of the case.

But thats to avoid cutting any metal. I would hate to have metal shaving get lost in my PSU. :)