What graphic card if your not gaming?

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Im thinking of building a new high end multimedia system in the next 6months or so and Im just wodering what kind of video card I need. I do alot of multimedia type stuff with my pc, photos, web browsing, movies music...etc but rarely if ever play any games. My current PC uses an ATI AIW 800xl and i love it, its got enough graphics power to play games if I want to and plenty of video I/O, but I think it is probably overkill. Is there any reason why for my new PC I would need anything more than an entry level card like a x1300 or 7300?? Also I dont need a tv tuner, to watch tv on my PC now I simply connect my cable boxes svideo to the input of my AIW and use the cable box to change channelsthat way I can gety all the channels not just the 150 or so the AIW tuner lets u get. SO would I be better of with a regular video card and a seperate capture card instead of going for an AIW card?? Any reccomendations for video cards and capture cards??
Thanks
Frank

cleeve

Illustrious
If you don't need a tuner, any cheap video card with VIVO (video in Video out) will do the job for you.

Gaming cards like the X800 XCL will offer no benefit if you're not gaming. A nice X1300 with VIVO willdo the job nicely.

I agree the X1300 or GF7300 would be fine, with the ATi having some better AVIVO features of course.

If he's looking at 1080P then the X1650Pro or GF7600GT based on features available to the two.

For general 480-720P I'd say the X1300 would be a solid choice.

4745454b

Titan
If you go for an AMD setup, the Geforce 6150 motherboards will do everything you need, no need for a gfx card....

Probably, but then he'll lack his VIVO/AIW abilities. Depending on how light the gaming requirements really are, I'd grab either the x1300 or x160/1650.

rogerwilker

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
If you just watch TV on your computer then the AIW1300 should do fine. However, if you plan on recording tv shows for later viewing or even making dvd's of your favorite tv show;then, the ATI family is the best card. You would need a tv card with hardware mpeg capability. There I would look at the Hauppage Line of products. You will still need a graphics card;but, you won't need an AIW card. Just a regular video card like the x1300,x850, x1600 would do.

I agree the X1300 or GF7300 would be fine, with the ATi having some better AVIVO features of course.

If he's looking at 1080P then the X1650Pro or GF7600GT based on features available to the two.

For general 480-720P I'd say the X1300 would be a solid choice.

I second that! Nice explanation, if I do say myself! Short and to the point, the way forums should be!

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
hmm,
the best thing you can do is get yourself a basic videocard, with no vivo, and a good TV-tuner card.
the TV quality will be a lot better.
a VIVO card isn't designed for TV-viewing.
I've got Geforce 4 TI 4600 VIVO, but i've bought myself a PCI TV-tuner card from leadtek, and the TV-image is a lot better, and i have better control over my channel list and, also i have a remote!

VIVO is ok, if you use it to record old movies from VCR or something like that, and you want a digital copy of it.

i've used it to digitize my old baby movies,1980 - 1986 (they were HI-8, and very cute :wink: )

now i've got them on DVD.

4745454b

Titan
i've bought myself a PCI TV-tuner card from leadtek, and the TV-image is a lot better

Is this due to the TV card, or the fact that its based on newer technology? I watch videos on my TV with my x1800xt. I can assure anyone who cares that the picture quality is very good.

I'll agree to the better channel list. I also hope to get the remote that came with my AIW 9600pro to work on this new system of mine. I believe it is nothing more then a remote wonder series one.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
the only reason for the tv tuner card is for actual tv channels. If you are only a movie watcher or (like you mentioned) a video capture buff then vanilla vivo is exactly what you need. If the OP is after broadcast/cable/sat channels then by all means the tuner is a must. If not, then the aforementioned advice still stands.

hmm,
the best thing you can do is get yourself a basic videocard, with no vivo, and a good TV-tuner card.
the TV quality will be a lot better.
a VIVO card isn't designed for TV-viewing.

VIVO is ok, if you use it to record old movies from VCR or something like that, and you want a digital copy of it.

Re-Read his post, a TV tuner would be the WORST way for him to do what he's doing. He has a digital cable box, therefore the TV tuner card wouldn't be able to get all the channels he wants to watch/record, and he'd have to go from his Digital Tuner through the RF out, to the RF in on channel 3-4 giving much more room for noise than using the S-video in/out. Makes no sense to use a tuner card at all, and it's an added cost for something that brings no benefit, and if anything makes things worse along the 'tuner' portion.

As for the cheap cards, anything less than the GF7300/X1300 loses him features that are good for 2D/video display. The GF4ti would not be recommended to anyone building a new rig, slower RAMDACs and poorer quality TMDS, no benefit.

Considering the cost of the X1300 and GF7300 there's no reason not to go with one of those. Heck if 2D/video editing and displaying was his primary concern, even if he had just the AIW X800XL, I'd say sell that and get a VIVO X1300/GF7300 with the money (likely have enough money left over for some other parts or apps).

There is no benifit to anything less than those cards, and some nice perks for 2D with either one of them.