Pwntium D805 Overclocked with Scythe HSF!?

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Hello!

I'm currently running my Pentium D805 with a Koolance Watercooling system but would like to change to a regular heatsink and fan!

Would i be able to run the Pentium D805 overclocked to around 3.6GHz using one of the following HSF:
-Scythe Ninja
-Scythe Mine Rev-B

Any help and advice would be appriciated! Many thanks

Shlomo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Why don't you just keep the water cooling kit.. you could hit 4.0ghz on that easy if heat is the only thing keeping you back

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Why don't you just keep the water cooling kit.. you could hit 4.0ghz on that easy if heat is the only thing keeping you back

Won't seem to go past 3.8GHz and boot to windows, let alone be stable!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Don't change.

D805 runs very hot, so for overclocking, it would be wise just to keep the watercooling.

I heard you only need watercooling over 4GHz!?

I'm happy running this machine at 3.6GHz, so if i can use a HSF it would be more ideal!

I plan to build a Core 2 Duo system over next few weeks which i will be overclocking and using a water cooling system! But not the Exos!

Shlomo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I'm still failing to see how a HSF is more "ideal" than a pretty respectable WC kit, but if you really want some air on it, go ahead and grab a Big Typhoon or a Scythe. (if it'll fit in your case, that is!)

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I'm still failing to see how a HSF is more "ideal" than a pretty respectable WC kit, but if you really want some air on it, go ahead and grab a Big Typhoon or a Scythe. (if it'll fit in your case, that is!)

I would not really rate the Koolance Exos-Al as a respectable WC Kit, but more of an end user wasy to use WC Kit that is more of a gimic than anything else! Although it does work and serve itspurpose, it is a poor system!

I would not really recommend it to anyone, but i did pick it up for a very cheap price so i could not resist! And it was my first atempt at watercooling!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Rig in my signature has great temps at 3.8ghz on a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Can hit 4.0Ghz back at home, but here at college my roomate is somewhat of a pussy and wont let me keep the windows open :p So the room gets a little warmer than my room at home.

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Rig in my signature has great temps at 3.8ghz on a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Can hit 4.0Ghz back at home, but here at college my roomate is somewhat of a pussy and wont let me keep the windows open :p So the room gets a little warmer than my room at home.

That's good then, so i really should have no problem running 3.6GHz on-air :)

You have the same case as me too!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I also used to have dual 6600GT OC's :p

And how did you find them!?

I always hear bad remarks about them, but this is the same with every lower end product in the computer market!

For the total price i have paid for the system in my sig, i don't think many people would turn their nose up at it! Bare in mind too, i can't work for at least the next 18 months due to a serious road traffic accident in which i was lucky to live and come out un-paralyzed and not brain damaged! I have very little money to live on, so i have to budget it well!