Will any PCI-e videocard fit in a PCI-e1 slot

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I want to go multi monitor with the ASUS P5W DH, in time I will need to use the extra PCI-e16 slot for something else. will a PCIe16 card fit in the PCI-e1 slot. I'm not that concerned about speed... mostly just used to view text as I am a programmer.

Thanks.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Thanks...

now why whould a motherboard manufacturer put a PCI-e1 slot on a board instead of a PCI-e4.. i don't know...

Answer: bandwidth restrictions. Ever heard of Bus Mastering? It is great when it works--but when hardware has any issues, the computer "locks up". Prime example is trying to read a scratched CD-RW disc in your drive and it makes your computer practically frozen for several minutes.

Resources, bandwidth restrictions, and "price" are reasons for having PCI-e-x1 instead of 4--especially as there are so few devices that use PCI-e-x2 or x4--mostly x1 and x16 (x16 cards will operate on x8 slots). I would not worry with the PCI-e video if there aren't x8 or x16 slots, just get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103016