Upgrade Processor?

Piolit

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
If I wanted to upgrade my processor speed, could I buy a new chip and just pop it in to my existing motherboard, setup, etc. Considering it’s the same socket (939), would I have to reinstall windows, reformat hard drive, etc or will the old setup run after the new chip is physically installed. Also, I'm going form a single core Amd chip to a dual core.

-Piolit

Piolit

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Now what's the difference between the Opteron's and the 64 X2's? Could I use either on a socket 939. For pure processor power, which do you recomend. Also I have DDR400, PC 3200, will this be fine with the dual core's.

LeonRa

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I just upgraded my AMD s939 3000+ to dual core 3800+. All you need is to eventually upgrade your bios, if the old bios doesn't support dual core cpu's.
If you have an Abit MB it is really easy, just use the bios flashing utility :p That's what i did. It works perfectly. 8)

Opteron is a server processor( i think). The memory is fine, anyway i think you can't use ddr2 with the s939, so you'll have to stick with it. The more you have, the better. Hope this is helpful. :wink: