9800 Pro to X850PRO question (both AGP)

whrzmud

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I am looking to upgrade to Radeon X850PRO 256MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102606 from my old 9800 Pro (which I bought 2 years ago for $200+ /cry), the X850PRO scored nicely on the VGA shoot out. I can't afford the X1950 seeing how I have bills to pay and a ring to buy.

I used the Oblivion as the benchmark... although I don't know how visually intense the game it compared to WoW, (I wish they would put wow on there seeing how more people play that game than any other game, I think its up to 6 million people now).

How does Oblivion compare to World of Warcraft? It says the FPS is 21 in oblivion but what will that equal in WoW, especially in Burning Crusade? Or a better choice of words would be, what game or benchmark on his list best resembles WoW’s graphics?

And why do place like new egg and best buy have the Radeon X800 priced at $300+ but the Radeon X850PRO at $129. I thought the higher the number the better the card was.. I am so confused on the numbering “policy” of ATI.

This is my system i am currently running:

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
Speed : 2.08GHz
Model Number : 2600 (estimated)

Mainboard
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
Mainboard : SiS-741
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Video System
Adapter : RADEON 9800 PRO

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

PSU:
Antec 550W

thefishdude

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
hi there oblivion is a graphics card destroyer its is the most demanding game there is and most webbies like toms use oblivion as the ultimate test.

as for your rig you have virtually identical to what i have i had a 9800pro but sold it for a x800xl last xmas time. i also use to run oblivion with my x800xl allthogh i had to turn down the graphics quite a bit. the main problem will be the amdxp-2600 wich is like what i have as its a bottle neck sometime in games as it lacks speed. you will notice a performance increase in the change of cards but it wont be huge due to your cpu.

as for that price thing i dont know.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
For 129$ that X850Pro is definitly your best choice for Oblivion. It is better than the X800; prices on mainstream cards vary considerably and they don't mean anything in terms of performance.

Oblivion is much more graphically demanding than World of Warcraft; there's almost no comparison between the two.

With that XP 2600 you might find yourself a little CPU-limited, especially in towns. While at that price any reasonable person would jump on that X850Pro, keep in mind that your CPU will be holding your performance back to a certain extent. Still, you should see a major improvement over your 9800Pro.