Unfair Lenny Conundrum!!!

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2005 3:55:51 AM

This Conundrum is unfair!!! It doesn't give you the Kacheek's age! If
anyone solves it, please tell how old the Kacheek is.
There were five friends, a Kacheek, a Tuskaninny, a Lenny, an Acara, and a
Bori. The Tuskaninny's age was that of the Acara plus the Kacheek. The Bori
was twice the Acara's age, or the same age as the Kacheek and the Tuskaninny
put together. The Lenny's age was three times the average of all five of
their ages.

If the Acara is four months older than the Kacheek, how many months old is
the Lenny?

More about : unfair lenny conundrum

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:55:52 AM

Diep wrote:
> This Conundrum is unfair!!! It doesn't give you the Kacheek's age! If
> anyone solves it, please tell how old the Kacheek is.

Yes, please do. All we ask for is a hint...
> There were five friends, a Kacheek, a Tuskaninny, a Lenny, an Acara, and a
> Bori. The Tuskaninny's age was that of the Acara plus the Kacheek. The Bori
> was twice the Acara's age, or the same age as the Kacheek and the Tuskaninny
> put together. The Lenny's age was three times the average of all five of
> their ages.
>
> If the Acara is four months older than the Kacheek, how many months old is
> the Lenny?

AAAIIIIEEEEE! *brain breaks* C'mon guys, give us at least -one-
number...

--
Neopets! It's FREE! Create and care for a virtual pet, explore,
play games and more!

>AAAIIIIEEEEE! *brain breaks* C'mon guys, give us at least -one-
>number...

18.

Don't like that one? How bout 74? No? 93? I got tons of numbers!! 87,
35, 623!

Seriously, all the info you need is on the Lenny page! I thought this was
the easiest Lenny in quite awhile actually, I got it pretty fast.

(Sorry, not trying to rub it in, just saying- go back to the page and
reread the question carefully.)

-Lois
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:55:53 AM

"Dreamstalker" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Diep wrote:
>> This Conundrum is unfair!!! It doesn't give you the Kacheek's age! If
>> anyone solves it, please tell how old the Kacheek is.
>
> Yes, please do. All we ask for is a hint...
>> There were five friends, a Kacheek, a Tuskaninny, a Lenny, an Acara, and
>> a Bori. The Tuskaninny's age was that of the Acara plus the Kacheek. The
>> Bori was twice the Acara's age, or the same age as the Kacheek and the
>> Tuskaninny put together. The Lenny's age was three times the average of
>> all five of their ages.
>>
>> If the Acara is four months older than the Kacheek, how many months old
>> is the Lenny?
>
> AAAIIIIEEEEE! *brain breaks* C'mon guys, give us at least -one- number...

They did. 4 months. the rest is bringing it all to one variable. Say X.
**not correct just example**
The kacheek =x
tuskaniny=x+(x+4)
so acara would be x+4

and on like that. ballance the equasion, solve for x There it is.
Plenty of numbers there.

me, I just despise algegra word problems.

Balyn
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:59:44 AM

"Diep" <diep@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> This Conundrum is unfair!!! It doesn't give you the Kacheek's age! If
> anyone solves it, please tell how old the Kacheek is.
> There were five friends, a Kacheek, a Tuskaninny, a Lenny, an Acara, and a
> Bori. The Tuskaninny's age was that of the Acara plus the Kacheek. The
> Bori was twice the Acara's age, or the same age as the Kacheek and the
> Tuskaninny put together. The Lenny's age was three times the average of
> all five of their ages.
>
> If the Acara is four months older than the Kacheek, how many months old is
> the Lenny?

Can you do algebra? That's basically all it is.

Deborah
--
Hamster Heaven - http://www.hamsterheaven.co.uk
February 12, 2005 4:00:28 AM

Diep [diep@shaw.ca] said
> This Conundrum is unfair!!!

No it isn't.

> It doesn't give you the Kacheek's age!

Did you not do algebra at school?

> If
> anyone solves it, please tell how old the Kacheek is.

Nope. :-p

> There were five friends, a Kacheek, a Tuskaninny, a Lenny, an Acara, and a
> Bori. The Tuskaninny's age was that of the Acara plus the Kacheek. The Bori
> was twice the Acara's age, or the same age as the Kacheek and the Tuskaninny
> put together. The Lenny's age was three times the average of all five of
> their ages.
>
> If the Acara is four months older than the Kacheek, how many months old is
> the Lenny?

Yep, all the information you need is there.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 5:42:49 AM

Do you know what bites? I am a math tutor (unofficially of course) for a
bunch of jr high/high school kids. I cant quite finish this one. I was
doing good until I got to the "3 times the average" part... lol. Gimme a
bit to think on it ;)

"gsulois" <gsulois@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >AAAIIIIEEEEE! *brain breaks* C'mon guys, give us at least -one-
> >number...
>
> 18.
>
> Don't like that one? How bout 74? No? 93? I got tons of numbers!! 87,
> 35, 623!
>
> Seriously, all the info you need is on the Lenny page! I thought this was
> the easiest Lenny in quite awhile actually, I got it pretty fast.
>
> (Sorry, not trying to rub it in, just saying- go back to the page and
> reread the question carefully.)
>
> -Lois

February 12, 2005 3:28:48 PM

Bodcat1 [bodcat1@yourunderpantsshaw.ca] said
> Do you know what bites? I am a math tutor (unofficially of course) for a
> bunch of jr high/high school kids. I cant quite finish this one. I was
> doing good until I got to the "3 times the average" part... lol. Gimme a
> bit to think on it ;)

I had to think about that one too but it is still just an equation.

I hope all this lines up...

L = K + T + A + B + L
- -----------------
3 5

and given that you have all the other numbers L just drops out.

But as the complete solution was posted on the boards last night I don't
think any of us are going to get very many nps out of this one.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 7:59:58 PM

OMG LOL, I had the 3 on the wrong side and I was like... wait a tic, this
makes no sense!
Thanks... derrrrrr

"Les" <les789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bodcat1 [bodcat1@yourunderpantsshaw.ca] said
> > Do you know what bites? I am a math tutor (unofficially of course) for
> > bunch of jr high/high school kids. I cant quite finish this one. I was
> > doing good until I got to the "3 times the average" part... lol. Gimme
> > bit to think on it ;)
>
> I had to think about that one too but it is still just an equation.
>
> I hope all this lines up...
>
> L = K + T + A + B + L
> - -----------------
> 3 5
>
> and given that you have all the other numbers L just drops out.
>
> But as the complete solution was posted on the boards last night I don't
> think any of us are going to get very many nps out of this one.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:33:42 AM

For those not on the board (and since this excellent math student managed to
miss the Lenny... grrr), here's how it shakes out:

There were five friends, a Kacheek, a Tuskaninny, a Lenny, an Acara, and a
Bori. The Tuskaninny's age was that of the Acara plus the Kacheek. The Bori
was twice the Acara's age, or the same age as the Kacheek and the Tuskaninny
put together. The Lenny's age was three times the average of all five of
their ages.

If the Acara is four months older than the Kacheek, how many months old is
the Lenny?

Using the first letters to save space...

T=A+K
B=2A
2A=K+T
L=3((K+T+L+A+B)/5)

Now you define all of the variables by their relation to K. You can't do
this with L, naturally, since it's represented by an average.

2A=K+(A+K)
2A=2K+A
2A-A=2K+A-A
A=2K

B=2A
B=2(2K)
B=4K

2A=K+T
2(2K)=K+T
4K=K+T
T=3K

Now you have:

Acara=2K
Bori=4K
Kacheek=K
Tuskaninny=3K

Now, the Lenny tells you the Acara is just four months older than the
Kacheek.

A=2K=K+4

2K=K+4

K=4

Therefore:

Acara=8 months
Bori=16 months
Kacheek=4 months
Tuskaninny=12 months

Now, it's quite true this doesn't give you the Lenny's age directly.
Returning to the problem, though, notice that the average is the sum divided
by five. It is then multiplied by three. Therefore, the final product has
both three and five as factors. I just plugged in 15s until I hit 60:

L=3((8+16+4+12+L)/5)
L=3((8+16+4+12+60)/5)
L=3(100/5)
L=3(20)
L=60

I missed the Lenny entirely, so I might as well show off here... since I
have no chance of finding out about all the various chocolate items for the
current one...

Yours with a sigh,

The opportunity-missing,

Wanderer
wanderer@ticnet.com

"Where am I going? I don't quite know.
What does it matter *where* people go?
Down to the woods where the bluebells grow!
Anywhere! Anywhere! *I* don't know!"
-- a. a. milne
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:28:10 PM

"Wanderer" <wanderer@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> For those not on the board (and since this excellent math student managed to
> miss the Lenny... grrr), here's how it shakes out:

Thank you so very much!
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:01:22 PM

"Wanderer" <wanderer@ticnet.com> wrote in message
<snip>

since I
> have no chance of finding out about all the various chocolate items for
> the current one...

http://neoitems.net/
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:26:05 AM

"Wanderer" <wanderer@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> For those not on the board (and since this excellent math student managed
> to miss the Lenny... grrr), here's how it shakes out:
>
> There were five friends, a Kacheek, a Tuskaninny, a Lenny, an Acara, and a
> Bori. The Tuskaninny's age was that of the Acara plus the Kacheek. The
> Bori
> was twice the Acara's age, or the same age as the Kacheek and the
> Tuskaninny
> put together. The Lenny's age was three times the average of all five of
> their ages.
>
> If the Acara is four months older than the Kacheek, how many months old is
> the Lenny?
>
> Using the first letters to save space...
>
> T=A+K
> B=2A
> 2A=K+T
> L=3((K+T+L+A+B)/5)
>
> Now you define all of the variables by their relation to K. You can't do
> this with L, naturally, since it's represented by an average.
>
> 2A=K+(A+K)
> 2A=2K+A
> 2A-A=2K+A-A
> A=2K
>
> B=2A
> B=2(2K)
> B=4K
>
> 2A=K+T
> 2(2K)=K+T
> 4K=K+T
> T=3K
>
> Now you have:
>
> Acara=2K
> Bori=4K
> Kacheek=K
> Tuskaninny=3K
>
> Now, the Lenny tells you the Acara is just four months older than the
> Kacheek.
>
> A=2K=K+4
>
> 2K=K+4
>
> K=4
>
> Therefore:
>
> Acara=8 months
> Bori=16 months
> Kacheek=4 months
> Tuskaninny=12 months
>
> Now, it's quite true this doesn't give you the Lenny's age directly.
> Returning to the problem, though, notice that the average is the sum
> divided by five. It is then multiplied by three. Therefore, the final
> product has both three and five as factors. I just plugged in 15s until I
> hit 60:
>
> L=3((8+16+4+12+L)/5)
> L=3((8+16+4+12+60)/5)
> L=3(100/5)
> L=3(20)
> L=60
>
> I missed the Lenny entirely, so I might as well show off here... since I
> have no chance of finding out about all the various chocolate items for
> the current one...

I told ya all pretty much the same thing some time ago. (just didn't
spell the whole thing out) And I _still_ despise algebraic word problems.

Balyn
!