Sign in with
Your question

Which is better?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
October 16, 2006 8:20:57 PM

Hi.
I have just bought a new 1GB stick of Samsung PC3200 to add into my K8N Neo Platinum (s754), which is currently running with 2X256MB PC2700 (@ DDR400).

If I add the 1GB stick to the other two, then all the slots are full and the command rate reverts to 2T, but if I take one of the 256MB sticks out I can run at 1T. I have tried both and obviously can only really see the difference in memory benchmarks, where the bandwidth drops markedly at 2T. Is it better for me to use all 1.5GB of RAM at 2T, or cut down to 1.25GB at 1T?

P.S. On a side note, does anyone know why my memory test at POST should take so long? This is something I noticed even before I got the new RAM.When I boot up I have to watch the RAM being totted up all the way from 0 and it seems to take a lot longer than it used to- it used to go very quickly indeed-even with the same RAM.Does anyone know why it might be going slowly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : question

October 16, 2006 8:33:09 PM

It's almost always better with Win to have as much RAM as possible.

There's usually a setting in the BIOS for "quick power-on self-test" or similar. You may have accidentally set it to "no".
October 17, 2006 2:51:27 PM

Thanks for your reply. Am I likely to notice the difference in speed at 2T in games or anything?

I have checked in the BIOS and it has quick POST enabled so I'm not sure what's going on there.
October 17, 2006 3:58:52 PM

You need to enable "Fast Boot" in your bios.... or just press esc and skip the test.
!