Hey!

Im desperately looking for help here.

This is my computer:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GIG Corsair RAM PC3200 / 400mhz CL2
ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo
2 ST Seagate Barracuda Harddrives 120 gig each
1 Maxtor drive 160 GIG

The computer is soon 2 years old. Have been working flawless until now.

The problem is that i often get CRC errors when transfering files between drives, and when im unzipping files. The same problem when trying to copy files from CD to harddrive.

Sometimes it can help to restart the computer and then copy or unzip files again and then its working.

But the most annoying is when im trying to install windows again on a fresh formatted harddrive.

I press F6 under the installation when it asks for SCSI / SATA drives. Have both tried to use the VIA /SATA drives from the ASUS CD and those from the VIAARENA.com website.

When it then founds the drives from the floppy and continues to first partition the harddrive and then copy files from the Windows CD , then it just stops and says it cant found some .dll file from the CD.

If i then restart the computer and boot up from the windows CD again , then the instalation progress can go further but still says that it cant find some .dll file from the CD.

Sometimes it works to install windows, sometimes not, There is no connection to when it will work or when it will not.

Have updated to the latest BIOS. Changed the SATA connections on the Harddrives.

Is there any setting in BIOS i should change? Or which VIA / SATA drives should i use?

I hope someone here can help me with this problem.

//toka

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hey!

Im desperately looking for help here.

This is my computer:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GIG Corsair RAM PC3200 / 400mhz CL2
ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo
2 ST Seagate Barracuda Harddrives 120 gig each
1 Maxtor drive 160 GIG

The computer is soon 2 years old. Have been working flawless until now.

The problem is that i often get CRC errors when transfering files between drives, and when im unzipping files. The same problem when trying to copy files from CD to harddrive.

Sometimes it can help to restart the computer and then copy or unzip files again and then its working.

//toka

That sounds exactly like bad memory. Take each stick out at a time to see if the trouble goes away. Also run Memtest or at least Prime95.

dasen

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Okey i will run memtest86+ to check the memories.

I have 4 Corsair 512mb on each slot.

Should i test every memory stick separately with the memtest86+?

or if its dual band memory sticks can i use 3 ram sticks and take the faulty away?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Okey i will run memtest86+ to check the memories.

I have 4 Corsair 512mb on each slot.

Should i test every memory stick separately with the memtest86+?

or if its dual band memory sticks can i use 3 ram sticks and take the faulty away?
]

Just run Memtest from a bootable floppy or USB stick as is. With the degree of problems you're reporting it should fail or even bluescreen pretty quickly. IF it fails then take out one stick and retest. If there's no error this time then that was the bad ram. And vice versa. IF it still fails the test regardless of which stick is removed then it's either another problem or POSSIBLY both sticks are bad, it happens!

I've hd a P3 system that exhibited a period of reading errors three times. The first time was due to resource mismanagement, resolved by removing the Promise Raid card (The errors weren't ON the Promise controller drives, but on the MB ports.) The second was due to bad Ram, TWO out of the four sticks in the system became faulty. The third time there were reading errors was due to having too many drives in the system, the power supply was being overburdened. All three of these scenarios are possibilities (a failing power supply being the third.) There's a fourth problem I had with crashes on another system... having an inadequate UPS providing insufficient AC voltage for the newer, more power hungry computer, while it was fine for its predecessor.