How much will Windows 7 32bit and 64bit Cost?

bonse

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Hey guys,
I've searched the forum and can't find a post on it so here goes.

How much will Windows 7 cost, both 64 bit and 32 bit?

I'm currently on XP 32 bit, since i do mainly gaming so didn't want Vista. Is preformance good on Windows 7 (those who have tested it).

I'm planning on upgrading to 8gb on 64bit but i'll wait untill Windows 7 if you fella's think it's worth it.

Thanks for any comments, good or bad.

JackStewarts

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Why would you need 8gb? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264.html

I have the windows 7 build 7000 32 bits and the Vista 64 bits. The overall performance of windows 7 seems better than Vista. But the games I´ve tested still run better on Vista. By 2 to 6 fps better.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
im currently using w7 7068 and so far its seems pretty solid...if I were to upgrade to it when it comes out, im definitely buying it through a college...thats how I got Vista Ultimate for $30 (and I ended up not even using it...tried it once and didnt have a good experience)

I'll probably be sticking with Vista unless MS introduces that "revolutionary" new file system that Vista was supposed to have for Win 7. (WinFS). For a Vista user, there is no compelling reason to upgrade to Win 7... at least not yet.

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Just Curious... How do you " buy through a college"? From their School Store or something?

Anybody with Vista has little reason to upgrade. Exceptions...

Windows 7 is going to be tweaked for snappier performance. The lower the specs of your computer, the more noticeable this will be.

There should be no gaming performance difference on most computers, and none on any high-end system. Systems with low RAM in particular will see better performance under Windows 7 for general PC usage and MAY see a slightly better performance playing a game if RAM is low, but if it's a RAM problem you'd be far better off buying more RAM than buying Windows 7.

4GB is optimal. Any more is generally a waste of money, and any less will start to degrade performance; I've noticed a difference from 2GB to 4GB for basic desktop use. At 1GB Windows 7 will be much snappier for general use than Vista.

The hard drive is also important. For basic use, such as multitasking e-mail and internet the hard drive and sufficient RAM are the most important factors. Laptops often feel sluggish due to low hard drive speeds, though enough RAM can often offset this.

Windows 7 uses the same driver base as Vista basically.

So my answer is if you don't have enough RAM, buy more (4GB if possible). If your hard drive's too slow, buy a faster one (or both).

XP is still a great operating system. However, I think a lot of people would benefit from an upgrade to Windows 7, 64bit if supported. There are stability reasons as well as performance ones. I don't understand all the reasons, but XP tends to get more sluggish over time where Vista does not. Vista Aero (and Windows 7) look much nicer on my monitor due to the new graphics support (much, much nicer). Do check driver support, especially for peripherals but don't expect to see the drivers quite yet for everything. Support should be really good overall.

Vista to Windows 7?
Not really worth it. XP yes for many. It does depend on how picky you are and remember my point about the hardware. Better money can often be spent on the RAM.

OEM?

If Windows 7 is offered OEM this is what most people should get. The main difference between a "full" version and OEM is that OEM is tied to your computer (mainly the motherboard once Activated). Another difference is that both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are included (can't be used on two machines).

Since OEM is usually half the price or less I would never buy the full version. I bought XP Pro for $130 and saw it for as much as $400 for the full version!

All prebuilt desktop and laptop systems come with OEM versions of Windows though these often have other software tied in with them (yech). It's worth noting that there may be some features that might not work properly without the official support for that computer, such as a BIOS plugin to RESTORE the original Windows copy on the hard drive. Generally though, most computers will run fully functional with a copy of Windows 7.

If OEM is supported for purchase as the software only, I'd expect the same pricing as Vista is now so Google that at NCIX or Tigerdirect.

G

Windows 7 is worth the wait. I have tested the beta, rc-1 and now testing the Enterprise version which is the final release that is in production now. I must say that the clean install took less than 35 minutes.The install set-up is completely different than previous windows installs so be ready. The only drawback that i have found is no Email client installed into the operating system. You will need to get a copy of Windows Live Mail from the Windows live essentials website. You can also install your favorite e-mail client like Eudora,Thunderbird,Incredimail and many others. The UAC function can now be controlled by a slider bar so you do not need to restart your pc to disable it.The boot sequence from start to desktop is the fastest i have seen to date by any Windows operating system.The internet experience is super quick with pages loading at incredible speeds.Best of all i think is the build in DVD software the comes standard with every Windows 7 edition.No need to buy 3rd party dvd decoder software anymore.I give this Windows version a big A+.....

Again, yep Windows 7 is the definitely the best version yet. I would upgrade XP but not Vista. Vista has fixed its issues (it's the code base for Windows 7). So Windows 7 is really Vista with some extras. Most people would not notice much difference between Vista and Windows 7. I still use XP Pro 32-bit, Vista x64 and Windows RC x64 and test multi-tasking etc.

My dad has an older system with XP and basic onboard graphics without Aero support. I did a Win 7 RC test for interest. His lack of scanner support ended that quickly. Oh well. Some people are best sticking with XP and saving up for a completely new system.