question about wireless and laptops

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi, I have a question about using wireless networks at public cafes
ect..
A local cafe says they are wireless but with T-Mobile hot network. Does
that mean if I go there i wont be able to go wireless unless I pay for
the service? Im looking for a free wireless hotspot- please advise.. I
thought that as long as I have a wireless card it was free at these
cafes? (USA located)
2 answers Last reply
More about question wireless laptops
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > the service? Im looking for a free wireless hotspot- please advise.. I
    > thought that as long as I have a wireless card it was free at these
    > cafes? (USA located)

    Do they give you free coffee and cakes as well or should it be the other
    way round, if I pay for my broadband, does my ISP give me free coffee
    and cakes?
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    KOS wrote:
    > Hi, I have a question about using wireless networks at public cafes,
    > etc.
    > A local cafe says they are wireless but with (T-Mobile HotSpot) network. Does
    > that mean if I go there I won't be able to go wireless unless I pay for
    > the service?

    Yes, that's exactly what it means. Locations that tout Wayport or SBC
    FreedomLink are "play-for-pay" as well. There may also be local
    providers in your area that run fee-based hotspots.

    How do you tell free from fee? Businesses that offer free Wi-Fi aren't
    shy about advertising that fact, since the hotspot's raison d'etre is to
    build traffic, and it can't do that if no one knows about it. So if the
    location's promotional materials don't identify it as free, draw your
    own conclusion.

    >I'm looking for a free wireless hotspot- please advise. I
    > thought that as long as I have a wireless card it was free at these
    > cafes(USA located).

    Depending on where you're "USA located," it'll be free (or at least it
    should be) at any of the locations listed here:

    www.wififreespot.com
    http://metrofreefi.com

    You also might hop over to www.jiwire.com and search for free hotpsots
    using their online finder.

Wireless Laptops Mobile Wireless Networking