Sign in with
Your question

What can I do with 1500 USD?

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2006 10:16:39 PM

Friend I know wants to build a nice setup to play some games that will last for a good period of time. He'll probably do upgrades when he has to, but probably not a major overall all at once. Hes got 1500 to work with AND needs a Monitor, mouse, and speakers(has a keyboard now). Hopefully it could revolve around a C2D Setup? Thanks. :D 

More about : 1500 usd

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2006 10:36:13 PM

Look at this system guide: Upgraded Intel Midrange Platform

Change out the 22" widescreen monitor with the 19" widescreen monitor on page #3 of the guide and you should be good with your budget. Be sure to check the current prices of those suggested items and look around for a set of speakers he can afford.
October 16, 2006 11:33:06 PM

You could give it to me?

Just kidding you can put together a nice system for $1500. It really depends what is most important to your freind. Does he want a giant 24in LCD screen and a killer suround sound system or a basic 19in monitor and stereo speakers? Can he get by with a smaller hard drive or does he need lots of storage space? Will he be overclocking or running stock speeds. There is really no way to give advice unless this stuff is known. If the system is going to be mainly used for gaming it probably makes sense to wait for the next generation of DX10 video cards since DX9 is going to be old news in the next few months. If he absolutely must have the system right now, he may want to pick up and inexpensive video card like an X850xt for $125 so he has something to play his games with until the new stuff comes out in a few months.
Related resources
October 17, 2006 12:35:58 AM

Wrx, thats a magnificent setup right there. Im most likely going to use that template.

To Frankienyc123: Hes more interested in a basic system that just plays his stuff, but wants it to be so he doesnt have to upgrade till like middle of next year. He says he'll go DX10 so Im looking at maybe the x850xt/7600GT aspect for video cards. I like the help, lets see more :twisted: Thanks. :D 
October 17, 2006 1:08:33 AM

Quote:

Blow it all on booze, drugs, and strippers. :) 
October 17, 2006 1:17:43 AM

Quote:

That was my first thought as well. :D 
October 17, 2006 1:20:35 AM

Quote:

Leave it to Mobius to spend your cash. :p  I would suggest an E6600 and P5B Deluxe, no need to go P5W. Bleh, DO NOT GET DS3! Maybe a Seagate SATA 300 GB. eVGA 7600GT, not with stock cooler, no, it sucks. Eh, Antec SP-500w and some nice memory. For teh monitor, I would suggest a Dell one because they are nice. THAT'S THE ONLY DELL THING I WILL EVER RECOMMEND. No need to get a sound card, built in is great on P5B Dlx. Meh, no floppy, right? lol
October 17, 2006 1:46:48 AM

get X-FI, E6400, P5B, 2 gig OCZ, x1800xt, yeah
October 17, 2006 7:04:13 PM

Quote:

Leave it to Mobius to spend your cash. :p  I would suggest an E6600 and P5B Deluxe, no need to go P5W. Bleh, DO NOT GET DS3! Maybe a Seagate SATA 300 GB. eVGA 7600GT, not with stock cooler, no, it sucks. Eh, Antec SP-500w and some nice memory. For teh monitor, I would suggest a Dell one because they are nice. THAT'S THE ONLY DELL THING I WILL EVER RECOMMEND. No need to get a sound card, built in is great on P5B Dlx. Meh, no floppy, right? lol

Meh, i was thinking somewhere along the lines of those parts. Probably gonna use the list Wrx gave me, and then swap a few things. Thanks though :D 
October 17, 2006 7:34:59 PM

CD's are posting quite high returns. 8O

The stock market has been strong for the last couple of months, and is still going up. Energy drinks have been posting returns as high as 80%

I've seen 40 some odd percent return on some of my mutual funds, especially the international ones. Lower risk than stocks, but I find it worth it.

Always max out your 401K and your Roth IRA, save you a lot of trouble when you retire.

Property has the highest per-capita return on investment. Might want to consider that.

Wait a sec... this isin't an investment topic??!??!?! This is a computer topic???!?!? WHERE AM I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 17, 2006 11:08:53 PM

Anandtech did a nice job on those setup but they dont perform at the most for your bucks. Post the list on what youre thinking right now so we can change a few things.
October 18, 2006 3:09:19 AM

Quote:

Meh, i was thinking somewhere along the lines of those parts. Probably gonna use the list Wrx gave me, and then swap a few things. Thanks though :D 

Lol, waste of time writing that! I could have been screwing around in that 5 minutes. Gosh...
October 18, 2006 4:42:38 AM

Well, with 1500 USD you could use a Samsung dvd burner, Samsung floppy, Sony dvd rom, Seagate barracuda 7200.10 320gig hdd, Viewsonic 19" lcd monitor, Asus m2n32-sli mobo, Evga 7900 gto graphics, OCZ 600watt PSU, MTG card reader, 2x Vantec passive RAM cooler, Corsair 2x512 RAM, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 2.2Ghz, ............that is probably right at $1500USD.......extras could include a Zalman 6-channel fan/light controller, a pair of blue ccfl's and TT media lab.
You're the boss, do it like you wanna cuz the only one you got to please is yourself.
>Peace Out<
!