Sign in with
Your question

Lite-on SHM-165H6S problems reading discs

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2006 11:06:43 PM

I run Windows XP64, and I have a Lite-on SHM-165H6S burner, an IDE drive. On the same IDE channel, I have my old hard drive, which is hooked up via IDE. When I go to open CDs in my Computer, it locks up for about a half a minute when I double click on the drive icon, and then it shows the files.

If I try to run the installer, I get errors like "The application failed to initialize properly." or stuff about ProcessWriteMemory errors. When I switch the drive to PIO mode instead of DMA, like I read to do online from Experts Exchange or some place similar (I Googled), the mouse gets all jerky when the drive reads, and the drive is a lot slower than with DMA. This is obviously a bad solution to the problem. It does work, though, with the PIO mode.

I also tried updating the firmware, but it didn't fix anything...

Another possibility is that I have the Master/Slave jumper settings wrong... Is there a standard? The Maxtor drive I have does not have a label indicating the jumpers (it doesn't come with a manual either). The DVD R is set to slave, I'm pretty sure. Would bad jumper settings be a possible cause of these errors?

Could it be a driver issue with XP64? Should I replace the drive? Any other suggestions? Should I take out the other hard drive? What should I do here? Has anyone else experienced these problems before? Do I need a SATA drive?
October 17, 2006 8:31:55 AM

hi.
too many questions fro nothing.
your hdd since it does not use jumpers its a master drive,be sure that he is not attached any jumpers.
configure propertly your cd-drive as slave.
if these does not solve the problem,there is always a good idea to replace the ide cable that connect the devices.
there is no need why you take off any of your drivers.
as long as you have room for ide drive use it.
October 17, 2006 9:30:43 AM

Most drives have a jumper diagram printed in them with information ~ to "not used" "ms" "csl" "sl". Mightbe labeled slightly differently... ms = master, sl = slave, csl = sable select. Might need a magnifying glass... (I do). I don't trust csl. Set the one that you want to be bootable to master, the other to slave. (a note, however... Some cd's / dvd's don't like to be masters....)

Make whatever changes your bios requires upon reboot, and you should be good.
Related resources
October 17, 2006 10:35:42 AM

hi
my friend is having the same problem but a little difference is there like he is getting very low speeds and we tried the firmware upgrade but i have still try connecting it independently to a seperate ide port let's see if we can get it right there .
October 17, 2006 10:48:17 AM

I suppose that I can go to all of the mfg's websites for you.... But I'm too lazy.

"ms" "not used" "sl" and "csl" are most commonly used. a wee diagram, sometimes referencing a missing pin... Sometimes mentioning a "pin 1". These should all be labeled on the drive in question. If not, then question should be directed to MFG's website.

I'd love to be more helpful, but my family is hungry and I need to go catch some fish.

(LG drives have been known to be ... Uh.... below par??? Media you are trying to write to may be as per above....?"
October 17, 2006 11:37:47 AM

Quote:
I run Windows XP64, and I have a Lite-on SHM-165H6S burner, an IDE drive. .
If I try to run the installer, I get errors like "The application failed to initialize properly." or stuff about ProcessWriteMemory errors. When I switch the drive to PIO mode instead of DMA, like I read to do online from Experts Exchange or some place similar (I Googled), the mouse gets all jerky when the drive reads, and the drive is a lot slower than with DMA. This is obviously a bad solution to the problem. It does work, though, with the PIO mode.

Could it be a driver issue with XP64? Should I replace the drive?

You didn't tell us the motherboard, but some ports, such as the Jmicron controller on the Asus P5W DH, do not support optical (atapi) drives and provide erratic performance with DVDroms as you describe. In such a case changing the drive to the Intel port resolves the problem.
October 17, 2006 8:47:01 PM

My motherboard is an Intel D975XBX. Would improperly set jumper settings even be a possible cause for bad DMA in the first place?
October 19, 2006 3:37:59 AM

On the back of your average dvd drive are three sets of two jumper pin settings in there own little section on the back of the drive, looking at the back of the drive Cable Select (CS) will be the first one on the left, Slave (SL) will be in the middle and Master (MS) will be on the right. having a drive in PIO mode will really slow things down. I also wouldnt hook up a dvd drive on the same IDE cable as a hard drive. As for 64bit systems I`m not familiar with them.
October 19, 2006 1:31:45 PM

hey
guy's will some on throw some light on my problem also
October 19, 2006 3:49:04 PM

How slow are you refering to? If you have it set up on its own IDE cable and it is the only drive on it set it as master, then check to see what mode it is operating in, PIO, Ultra DMA mode 2, UDMA 2. To check right click on my computer, click on properties, then under the hardware tab click on device manager then under the IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers check either the primary IDE or secondary IDE channels in the advanced settings tab to see what the current transfer mode is, if any of them say PIO then that is most likely your problem, you then need to uninstall the driver for it then restart your pc and Windows will automaticly reinstall the drivers for it, after its done go back and check to if if its in UDMA mode 2 or Ultra DMA mode 2. Hard drives usualy operate in UDMA 5 so leave that alone. Check out the link below.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038
October 19, 2006 7:23:49 PM

I have no choice but to have both drives on the same IDE cable. My Intel XBX motherboard only has one IDE cable.

On PIO mode, it IS pretty slow, but it's the only way the drive reads.
October 19, 2006 8:27:52 PM

Have you thought about adding a PCI IDE controller card? My new mobo has a butt load of SATA plug ins on the mobo but only 1 IDE plug in so I am getting ready to install a PCI IDE controller card in a little bit here. With it being on the same IDE cable as your hard drive that might be one explantion why it is in PIO mode. I paid about $30.00 for what I was told a decent PCI IDE controller card.
October 21, 2006 4:15:31 PM

I tried playing around with the jumper set up. I made the DVD-RAM master and the hard drive slave. It still doesn't read discs unless I unplug the power cable to the hard drive. If I unplug the IDE cable to the hard drive also, it doesn't read discs. Could the DVD-RAM drive or the cable be bad?

Looks like I'm going to have to go down the IDE card route. Are there any IDE cards for PCI Express? My motherboard only has two PCI slots, and I will have to forgo the wireless card (which is a special Ralink 2500 chipset card I use for Wireless Multiboot for my Nintendo DS in case you really want to know) in order to put in a PCI IDE card...

This is really frustrating me because in all other aspects my computer works fine...
October 21, 2006 4:41:41 PM

Quote:
I have no choice but to have both drives on the same IDE cable. My Intel XBX motherboard only has one IDE cable.

On PIO mode, it IS pretty slow, but it's the only way the drive reads.

One cable or one slot to connect a cable?
Good old lite on i remember having to install about 20 of thier drives a day sucha nightmare liteon so many stupid problems.
anyways if you have two IDE plugs which you should i really dont think i have seena motherboard with out two in forever just get anther IDE cable. OK nvm while writing this i looked up some pictures. what a stupid design keep the floppy no one uses or add a second IDE which alot of people would use. Not sure if there is a pci e ide controler card but hell if there is thats defanitly the way to go for the speed ;) 
October 22, 2006 7:05:11 AM

hey TPLAT i had checked the setting it was not on the PIO mode it was on DMA access and i think my friend told me it was ultra dma 5 .I saw your link and my settings are identical to those shown in the pictures , i even tried a firm ware upgrade but i think the problem seems in the ide connection type .Please throw some more light on you further suggestions .thanks :twisted:
!