[HP LanScan] Failure after installing XP SP2

Hi,

After installing Windows XP SP2 on the host machine - the one connected
to the scanner, the HP LanScan software running on a client system (SP2
not applied there) is no longer able to find the remote scanner
("Scanner not found").

This is probably a problem with a blocked port. I have disabled the
Windows XP Firewall, though...

Any similar experience? Any fix?

Thanks in advance.

--
Patrick Philippot
MainSoft Consulting Services

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:14:49 +0200, "Patrick Philippot"
    <patrick.philippot@mainsoft.xx> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >After installing Windows XP SP2 on the host machine - the one connected
    >to the scanner, the HP LanScan software running on a client system (SP2
    >not applied there) is no longer able to find the remote scanner
    >("Scanner not found").
    >
    >This is probably a problem with a blocked port. I have disabled the
    >Windows XP Firewall, though...

    If you disabled the firewall and it didn't change anything, I'd hope
    you either turn it back on, or have a good one running.

    More than likely it may need the driver updated.
    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead wrote:
    > If you disabled the firewall and it didn't change anything, I'd hope
    > you either turn it back on, or have a good one running.

    My network is already protected. I don't need the Windows Firewall.

    > More than likely it may need the driver updated.

    I have the latest HP Scanjet 7400c software + all patches installed.

    The problem is a communication problem. By monitoring the network I can
    see the client trying to establish a TCP/IP communication with the host
    running LanScan but the process fails.

    --
    Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
    MainSoft Consulting Services
    www.mainsoft.fr
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    I have exactly the same problem. I have the HP scanjet 6250 with all
    the latest updates installed. I installed SP2 on my client machines
    first and the LanScan was still working. Once I installed it on the
    host machine (disabled the firewall on all machines, I don't need it)
    my clients can no longer make the connection to the Scanner. I cannot
    find any reference to such a problem on HP's support pages.

    Randy Hands

    "Patrick Philippot" <patrick.philippot@mainsoft.xx> wrote in message news:<cgplq7$2m3j$1@biggoron.nerim.net>...
    > Roger Halstead wrote:
    > > If you disabled the firewall and it didn't change anything, I'd hope
    > > you either turn it back on, or have a good one running.
    >
    > My network is already protected. I don't need the Windows Firewall.
    >
    > > More than likely it may need the driver updated.
    >
    > I have the latest HP Scanjet 7400c software + all patches installed.
    >
    > The problem is a communication problem. By monitoring the network I can
    > see the client trying to establish a TCP/IP communication with the host
    > running LanScan but the process fails.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Randy Hands wrote:
    > I have exactly the same problem. I have the HP scanjet 6250 with all
    > the latest updates installed. I installed SP2 on my client machines
    > first and the LanScan was still working. Once I installed it on the
    > host machine (disabled the firewall on all machines, I don't need it)
    > my clients can no longer make the connection to the Scanner. I cannot
    > find any reference to such a problem on HP's support pages.

    Randy,

    I got a first (unsatisfactory) answer from HP french support today
    (roughly translated) : "The Windows XP SP2 Firewall is the culprit
    because it blocks any suspicious communication coming from another PC.
    Other applications may experience the same problem".

    Period. They don't even mention how to setup the firewall to fix the
    problem.

    Note that I had mentioned in my report that the Firewall was disabled.
    So I'm now waiting for a real, non automated answer. Sigh! This is no
    longer the good ol' HP I was used to many years ago.

    I further investigated the problem and now, I'm almost sure that it's a
    DCOM / RPC failure. XP SP2 changes things in this area at a very low
    level and some applications using DCOM may have to be re-written.

    I'll let you know if I get a more technical answer.

    Meanwhile, I discovered the RemoteScan product (www.remote-scan.com)
    that works without a hitch with XP SP2 (they sent me a trial version).

    --
    Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
    MainSoft Consulting Services
    www.mainsoft.fr
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:48:13 +0200, "Patrick Philippot"
    <patrick.philippot@mainsoft.xx> wrote:

    >Randy Hands wrote:
    >> I have exactly the same problem. I have the HP scanjet 6250 with all
    >> the latest updates installed. I installed SP2 on my client machines
    >> first and the LanScan was still working. Once I installed it on the
    >> host machine (disabled the firewall on all machines, I don't need it)
    >> my clients can no longer make the connection to the Scanner. I cannot
    >> find any reference to such a problem on HP's support pages.
    >
    >Randy,
    >
    >I got a first (unsatisfactory) answer from HP french support today
    >(roughly translated) : "The Windows XP SP2 Firewall is the culprit
    >because it blocks any suspicious communication coming from another PC.
    >Other applications may experience the same problem".
    >
    >Period. They don't even mention how to setup the firewall to fix the
    >problem.

    But... How can it be the firewall if you have it disabled?

    >Note that I had mentioned in my report that the Firewall was disabled.
    >So I'm now waiting for a real, non automated answer. Sigh! This is no
    >longer the good ol' HP I was used to many years ago.

    That must have been a *long* time ago. <:-(

    >I further investigated the problem and now, I'm almost sure that it's a
    >DCOM / RPC failure. XP SP2 changes things in this area at a very low
    >level and some applications using DCOM may have to be re-written.

    There is a download application that will check you apps for
    compatibility although I've forgotten the URL, but the name is
    AppCompat-XPSP2.msi

    My guess and it's not even a SWAG is something is incompatible with
    LanScan.

    Good Luck,

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >I'll let you know if I get a more technical answer.
    >
    >Meanwhile, I discovered the RemoteScan product (www.remote-scan.com)
    >that works without a hitch with XP SP2 (they sent me a trial version).
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Roger Halstead wrote:
    >> Period. They don't even mention how to setup the firewall to fix the
    >> problem.
    >
    > But... How can it be the firewall if you have it disabled?

    This was just a side remark. If they think that the firewall is the
    problem, they should at least provide the settings that would unlock
    LanScan.

    > There is a download application that will check you apps for
    > compatibility although I've forgotten the URL, but the name is
    > AppCompat-XPSP2.msi

    Yes. It's rather a document, not a program although it comes with a few
    scripts. However, thanks anyway. I read it again and tried new RPC
    settings that finally allowed me to run HP LanScan successfully. I will
    document this in a separate thread. This confirms that the problem was a
    DCOM / RPC problem.

    Cheers.

    --
    Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
    MainSoft Consulting Services
    www.mainsoft.fr
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Roger Halstead wrote:
    >> Note that I had mentioned in my report that the Firewall was
    >> disabled. So I'm now waiting for a real, non automated answer. Sigh!
    >> This is no longer the good ol' HP I was used to many years ago.
    >
    > That must have been a *long* time ago. <:-(

    Yes. When I was working at IBM in the semi-conductor industry. We were
    using HP instruments and the hardware quality was amazing, as well as
    the support.

    Anyway, they eventually told me that since the problem appeared after
    installing Windows XP SP2, I had to get in touch with Microsoft. Period.
    Nice support. I'll remember this.

    --
    Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
    MainSoft Consulting Services
    www.mainsoft.fr

Scanners Hewlett Packard Windows XP Peripherals