Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

[HP LanScan] Failure after installing XP SP2

Tags:
  • Scanners
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Windows XP
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 26, 2004 10:14:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Hi,

After installing Windows XP SP2 on the host machine - the one connected
to the scanner, the HP LanScan software running on a client system (SP2
not applied there) is no longer able to find the remote scanner
("Scanner not found").

This is probably a problem with a blocked port. I have disabled the
Windows XP Firewall, though...

Any similar experience? Any fix?

Thanks in advance.

--
Patrick Philippot
MainSoft Consulting Services
www.mainsoft.fr

More about : lanscan failure installing sp2

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 28, 2004 12:57:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:14:49 +0200, "Patrick Philippot"
<patrick.philippot@mainsoft.xx> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>After installing Windows XP SP2 on the host machine - the one connected
>to the scanner, the HP LanScan software running on a client system (SP2
>not applied there) is no longer able to find the remote scanner
>("Scanner not found").
>
>This is probably a problem with a blocked port. I have disabled the
>Windows XP Firewall, though...

If you disabled the firewall and it didn't change anything, I'd hope
you either turn it back on, or have a good one running.

More than likely it may need the driver updated.
Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>
>Any similar experience? Any fix?
>
>Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 28, 2004 4:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Roger Halstead wrote:
> If you disabled the firewall and it didn't change anything, I'd hope
> you either turn it back on, or have a good one running.

My network is already protected. I don't need the Windows Firewall.

> More than likely it may need the driver updated.

I have the latest HP Scanjet 7400c software + all patches installed.

The problem is a communication problem. By monitoring the network I can
see the client trying to establish a TCP/IP communication with the host
running LanScan but the process fails.

--
Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
MainSoft Consulting Services
www.mainsoft.fr
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 30, 2004 12:40:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

I have exactly the same problem. I have the HP scanjet 6250 with all
the latest updates installed. I installed SP2 on my client machines
first and the LanScan was still working. Once I installed it on the
host machine (disabled the firewall on all machines, I don't need it)
my clients can no longer make the connection to the Scanner. I cannot
find any reference to such a problem on HP's support pages.

Randy Hands

"Patrick Philippot" <patrick.philippot@mainsoft.xx> wrote in message news:<cgplq7$2m3j$1@biggoron.nerim.net>...
> Roger Halstead wrote:
> > If you disabled the firewall and it didn't change anything, I'd hope
> > you either turn it back on, or have a good one running.
>
> My network is already protected. I don't need the Windows Firewall.
>
> > More than likely it may need the driver updated.
>
> I have the latest HP Scanjet 7400c software + all patches installed.
>
> The problem is a communication problem. By monitoring the network I can
> see the client trying to establish a TCP/IP communication with the host
> running LanScan but the process fails.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 30, 2004 10:48:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Randy Hands wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem. I have the HP scanjet 6250 with all
> the latest updates installed. I installed SP2 on my client machines
> first and the LanScan was still working. Once I installed it on the
> host machine (disabled the firewall on all machines, I don't need it)
> my clients can no longer make the connection to the Scanner. I cannot
> find any reference to such a problem on HP's support pages.

Randy,

I got a first (unsatisfactory) answer from HP french support today
(roughly translated) : "The Windows XP SP2 Firewall is the culprit
because it blocks any suspicious communication coming from another PC.
Other applications may experience the same problem".

Period. They don't even mention how to setup the firewall to fix the
problem.

Note that I had mentioned in my report that the Firewall was disabled.
So I'm now waiting for a real, non automated answer. Sigh! This is no
longer the good ol' HP I was used to many years ago.

I further investigated the problem and now, I'm almost sure that it's a
DCOM / RPC failure. XP SP2 changes things in this area at a very low
level and some applications using DCOM may have to be re-written.

I'll let you know if I get a more technical answer.

Meanwhile, I discovered the RemoteScan product (www.remote-scan.com)
that works without a hitch with XP SP2 (they sent me a trial version).

--
Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
MainSoft Consulting Services
www.mainsoft.fr
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 31, 2004 10:17:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:48:13 +0200, "Patrick Philippot"
<patrick.philippot@mainsoft.xx> wrote:

>Randy Hands wrote:
>> I have exactly the same problem. I have the HP scanjet 6250 with all
>> the latest updates installed. I installed SP2 on my client machines
>> first and the LanScan was still working. Once I installed it on the
>> host machine (disabled the firewall on all machines, I don't need it)
>> my clients can no longer make the connection to the Scanner. I cannot
>> find any reference to such a problem on HP's support pages.
>
>Randy,
>
>I got a first (unsatisfactory) answer from HP french support today
>(roughly translated) : "The Windows XP SP2 Firewall is the culprit
>because it blocks any suspicious communication coming from another PC.
>Other applications may experience the same problem".
>
>Period. They don't even mention how to setup the firewall to fix the
>problem.

But... How can it be the firewall if you have it disabled?

>
>Note that I had mentioned in my report that the Firewall was disabled.
>So I'm now waiting for a real, non automated answer. Sigh! This is no
>longer the good ol' HP I was used to many years ago.

That must have been a *long* time ago. <:-(

>
>I further investigated the problem and now, I'm almost sure that it's a
>DCOM / RPC failure. XP SP2 changes things in this area at a very low
>level and some applications using DCOM may have to be re-written.

There is a download application that will check you apps for
compatibility although I've forgotten the URL, but the name is
AppCompat-XPSP2.msi

My guess and it's not even a SWAG is something is incompatible with
LanScan.

Good Luck,

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>
>I'll let you know if I get a more technical answer.
>
>Meanwhile, I discovered the RemoteScan product (www.remote-scan.com)
>that works without a hitch with XP SP2 (they sent me a trial version).
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 1, 2004 12:53:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Roger Halstead wrote:
>> Period. They don't even mention how to setup the firewall to fix the
>> problem.
>
> But... How can it be the firewall if you have it disabled?

This was just a side remark. If they think that the firewall is the
problem, they should at least provide the settings that would unlock
LanScan.

> There is a download application that will check you apps for
> compatibility although I've forgotten the URL, but the name is
> AppCompat-XPSP2.msi

Yes. It's rather a document, not a program although it comes with a few
scripts. However, thanks anyway. I read it again and tried new RPC
settings that finally allowed me to run HP LanScan successfully. I will
document this in a separate thread. This confirms that the problem was a
DCOM / RPC problem.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
MainSoft Consulting Services
www.mainsoft.fr
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 1, 2004 7:47:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Roger Halstead wrote:
>> Note that I had mentioned in my report that the Firewall was
>> disabled. So I'm now waiting for a real, non automated answer. Sigh!
>> This is no longer the good ol' HP I was used to many years ago.
>
> That must have been a *long* time ago. <:-(

Yes. When I was working at IBM in the semi-conductor industry. We were
using HP instruments and the hardware quality was amazing, as well as
the support.

Anyway, they eventually told me that since the problem appeared after
installing Windows XP SP2, I had to get in touch with Microsoft. Period.
Nice support. I'll remember this.

--
Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
MainSoft Consulting Services
www.mainsoft.fr