Why do people rave about unequal cpus?

myca726

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
what is the purpose of running tests for an AMD vs. Intel CPU if they aren't even equal?

CPU 1 @ 3.0ghz vs CPU 2 @ 4.0+ghz..regardless if they are dual core look at the speed..even though they are dual core, CPU2 still has 1ghz more than CPU1 thats a big advantage, so how could anyone actually say "CPU2 is now the kill of dual core!!"

try comparing two dual core CPUs at the same ghz..then try, don't give one 800+ mhz more and expect the slower one to win.

i see that being unfair, i would have the same opinion if it was reversed and someone tested an AMD 3.0 vs. Intel 1.8..try and keep the ghz close together and test before you go and claim a faster cpu the new king of the hill.

AMD 3.0 FX-62 vs. Intel Core 2 Duo EE 3.78+..hmm almost 800mhz faster there..yeah i see the fair fight there :)

if AMD had a 3.78 FX-62 THEN compare and see the new results..if intel still wins then thats just fine with me.

AMD 3.0 FX-62 vs. Intel Core 2 Duo EE 3.78+..hmm almost 800mhz faster there..yeah i see the fair fight there :)

if AMD had a 3.78 FX-62 THEN compare and see the new results..if Intel still wins then that's just fine with me.
Since this is your first post, let me correct your thinking here.
You are totally missing the point. Have you even stopped and taken a good look at the benches or tests? They test equivalent processors. Meaning that they compare processors that share the same price or will be aimed at the same market or share similar characteristics.
Are you advocating that we stop comparing CPUs by any chances?

myca726

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Meaning that they compare processors that share the same price or will be aimed at the same market or share similar characteristics

but 800mhz does help ALOT in a test wouldnt you agree?

G

www.wikipedia.org

type CPU and read some =)

FYI a 3.8GHZ P4 might get his ass handed over by a 2.4ghz CPU in many different scenario.

Do some reading please =)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Meaning that they compare processors that share the same price or will be aimed at the same market or share similar characteristics

but 800mhz does help ALOT in a test wouldnt you agree?

What if you could buy 2 processors for the same price, but 1 was 800MHz "faster". Is it a faster processor? How do you know? Just because it has more MHz doesnt garuntee better performance. It has to be tested.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
You must not fully understand CPUs. Clockspeed between Intel and AMD has nill to do with how they match up to eachother.

Take for example the AMD FX-60 @ 2.6 Ghz. (Dual Core)
vs. the Intel Pentium EE 965 @ 3.73 Ghz (Dual Core)

Prior to Core 2 Duo and AM2, these two CPU's were the best of the best and duked it out as "equals." They were in the same price range, both the companies flagship model and traded blows in benchmarks.

You can't expect a benchmark comparison between the FX-60 and a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz. That would be rediculously one sided and would be of no value to anyone.

DaSickNinja said it right, you are missing the point.

Prepare to be dominated from every angle by more knowledgable people than myself...

Here is some friendly information. In these benches you have the AMD 2.8Ghz FX-62 Windsor against the Intel 3.8Ghz Pentuim EE Presler. Both are noted in red:
464-434-174.png

Advantage: AMD 2.8Ghz FX-62
464-434-194.png

464-434-170.png

464-434-192.png

464-434-165.png

464-434-178.png

464-434-185.png

464-434-189.png

See the difference?

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Gigahertz frequency of a processor is useless at showing the performance level. You need benchmarks and tests to really see what a processor can do. Different chipsets cannot be compared directly by their cpu frequency, because they are built differently, have different manufacturing processes, and have different architectures. So how do you compare two different chips? Through standardised benchmarks and tests using software. Only then can you differentiate between the performance of the processors. If you don't know this, then you have a lot of catching up to do in terms of knowledge on processors.

G

You shouldnt do all the work for him, that's not how we learn!!

/slap ninjas hand

You shouldnt do all the work for him, that's not how we learn!!

/slap ninjas hand
He didn't know where to look, so I threw him in the right direction. I can see where he made that assumption but such and idea had to be corrected quickly.

Now leave my hands alone... :wink:

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
This strikes me as an argument that MIGHT have made sense 10 years ago. Back then clock speed was pretty much the core decider of performance. Now, not so much.

The Core2Duo processors are the current king of the hill and they have MUCH lower clock speeds than the Pentium 4s that it totally wipes the floor with.

Back in the late 90's AMD started the IPC crusade. Thats Instructions Per Clock cycle. They had a nationwide tour and everything. That was because at the time AMD Athlon processors had lower clock speeds and higher performance than Intel Pentium 3 processors. This was the entire reason why AMD's XP series of Athlon processors used their crazy XP ratings instead of clock speed ratings.

These days saying that clock speed should be all that matters is a bit like a hillbilly telling a BMW dealership that their cars are driven by fewer actual horses so are therefore slower. Its antiquated logic being inaccurately applied to an industry that has changed dramatically.

I don't mean to insult you because I doubt you are stupid, just not well informed in this matter. I encourage you to spend some time studying this stuff. If you are like me, then you will probably find it fun and interesting.

Good luck and have a good day.

G

Well hopefully he's reading!!!

@turpit
Lol, way to much time on your heand

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
This is a priceless post right here. Especially his tone! How he's "rebuking the idiots at THG forumz" in his eyes. Priceless. :lol: