Mid-range DX-10 Cards

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Hey I was just wondering if there is any news of the mid range dx10 cards? The R600 and 8800gt sound cool but with a price of like 600$ it sucks. So what is the mid range cards gonna be like? The ones that are in the 250$ ranges.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
X2600Pro and 8600 GT is a good assumption.

They will be out in the spring, until then there will only be the high-end cards.

But at least DX10 is coming to XP :D

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Dx10 on xp!!! Awesome suck my -fill in the blank- vista!!! I didn't know that it was going to be on xp this is great it just made my day. Can anyone verify this?

So does anyone know any of the specs for the mid range cards or is it just to early?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
SO what are some of the things that are going to be cut?

Well, the DX10 for XP is going to be called DX9.0L, and the main difference is, that its going to use software to try and emulate what DX10 is supposed to be, meaning that the performance will be lower using DX9.0L than DX10. But if u have a high-end card u wont notice such a big hit in performance.

Needless to say, DX10 is better than DX9.0L, and in the most important thing too - performance.

As for features.. i think at least most will be there, its basicly a refurbished DX10.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Yeah, I've heard about DX9L, but Track made it sound like we could expect the full DX10 version on XP which, if true, would be nice.
As much as I'd also prefer the real thing, I'm pretty sure I'll wait a while before I jump to Vista on my main rig even without full DX10 support .
I have RC1 and there's nothing that makes me want to use it exclusively yet.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Bah, still going to upgrade to Vista even though XP has been the most reliable OS I have run.

You havent used many other alternative OS's have you? :lol:

I have used every version of Windows, except 2000 and XP is the one i like best.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Key word was alternative there bud.........

I meant to reply to danny. XP is the best of Windows, wich is the best of the OSes.

And judging from your experience....you'd be suprised if you tried something else how (thanks didnt catch that) quickly the statement would change.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

I meant to reply to danny. XP is the best of Windows, wich is the best of the OSes.

And judging from your experience....you'd be suprised if you tried something else who quickly the statement would change.

I dont understand what u wrote...

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
And judging from your experience....you'd be suprised if you tried something else who quickly the statement would change.

I dont understand what u wrote...

Just replace "who" with ""how" and the statement will make sence. Typo? :D

He means Linux or BSD

arjunatgv

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Well, the DX10 for XP is going to be called DX9.0L, and the main difference is, that its going to use software to try and emulate what DX10 is supposed to be, meaning that the performance will be lower using DX9.0L than DX10. But if u have a high-end card u wont notice such a big hit in performance.

Guys Sorry to say that DirectX 9.0L works on Vista only. DX9L is used in vista to emulate DX9 Games.

See this Link
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35140

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Track wrote:
Raven_87 wrote:

Gentoo? The emulators work great for OS X and XP!

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Bah, still going to upgrade to Vista even though XP has been the most reliable OS I have run.

Win 3.1 and up, some Distros of Linux, and reluctantly MAC OS at school

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Guys Sorry to say that DirectX 9.0L works on Vista only. DX9L is used in vista to emulate DX9 Games.

See this Link
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35140

Come on... you can't use The Inquirer as a source. Can he get away with that?!?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Either way, I doubt MS will give anything close to DX10 capabilites to XP, why would they. It would go against their buisness model, make them lose money, and create the headaches of developing it. It's a pipe dream, all it is.

And XP is still a damn stable operating system, I can show you multiple pictures of Linux and Mac crashes... just because people don't complain as much doesn't mean they aren't there.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

Windows is for work, Linux and Mac are for play, unless if you are running an actual serious server environment. Once there is an alternative OS that I can use exclusively from the GUI and not have to worry about ever using a command line again, I'll be there. Except for Mac - I supported a network of those for way too long and absolutely hated the machines for not allowing me to tweak files/perms to make them work. On Win2K and XP, I have not touched a Command Prompt in more than 5 years at home. Windows - it sucks, it just sucks less (for now - give Linux about 5 more years to grow).

Everything that I have seen says that DX-10 and DX-9L compatibles are only for Vista due to the change in the core. That is why most vid games appear to be talking about multiple win versions of their games in the next year.

bigbadjohnnyb

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Forgive the ignorant question...

But specifically referring to Linux, isn't gaming a bit harder on Linux? Aren't the drivers a bit lacking when compared to Windows? And the titles themselves - are they typically released to Linux platforms as well?

I'm seriously asking - not bashing Linux at all. In fact, if there was a definitive "Yes, linux rox for gaming" it might make me switch, as I've been wanting to get back into the fray after a long vacation since the days of Q3 Arena... :)

I belive Nvidia and ATI are working much harder to make beter drivers for the linux OS, which in the end, improves games play and stability.

That being said, I have used and owned every OS Microsoft has made... and I have supported Mac OS... I also have used a few flavors of linux.
Since I know how to use windows XP, possible beter then most complainers, I find XP to be the most stable, and usefull OS at this time. Linux to a large degree is still a 'kit' OS, and no dignified OS should come with a single button mouse (fook off OSX 10.X).

That is besides the point,... and the main topic was answered on the first reply. Unless ATI and NVIDIA have changed their naming schemes (like they havent ever) the mid range cards will be the 2600 and the 8700.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I don't have anything against the other OS's, but I just don't like it when people start bashing Windows for the sake of bashing Windows. Its great for what it does, gets the work done, and even if people likes it, on the whole, its a good OS.

Back to the topic at hand.. I wonder if ATI will setup the new DX10 chips like the did for their X1950Pro and improve it a bit. Then I might really consider Xfire.