Problem with dvd-r/rw drive

exiveres

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
hi i am having a problem reading my music CDs(real, non-burned)

i have a relatively new computer and have played real and burned CDs in the drive before. now i can only burn to cd, but cant read these new CDs i just purchased :(

plz help so i can listen to my new music. thx.

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

i have a relatively new computer and have played real and burned CDs in the drive before. now i can only burn to cd, but cant read these new CDs i just purchased :(

Well which Drive Do you have? Make & Model. Perhaps its just the CD's you just bought. Or a Firmware update sometimes help.

exiveres

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006

Well which Drive Do you have? Make & Model. Perhaps its just the CD's you just bought. Or a Firmware update sometimes help.

its a lite-on shw-160p6s. the cd's are fine. they work in my other comp and my car. also just updated the firmware and still same problem.
the drive reads but doesnt recognize the disc. i can also burn cds. =\

even tried running it through windows media. just says 'no disc in drive'

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi
since your drive burn cd it is ok.
the problem is that it can not read them.
did you try to clean the drive the drive with special cd lens scleaner??
hope this works.

I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem (I hope it hasn’t) maybe someone out there can clarify for me (and you) what was the outcome of the Sony BMG's rootkit/DRM nastiness that they tried to inflict upon us?