Prescott 541 or Athlon 64 3200?

I was hooked on AMD, but the Intel chip seems like you get more punch for the dollar.. I would be using this mainly for a home computer with the occasional video game - never will quit :)

According to benchmarks, and correct me if I am wrong, the prescott 540 does quite well in comparison to it's rival AMD chips within it's price range. However, I could not find many reviews on the chip, so I thought I would inquire from all you tech gurus. Thanks for your input!

P.S. I am trying to buyt he best chip for 100 dollars or under.
10 answers Last reply
More about prescott athlon 3200
  1. AMD all the way. Prescotts are junk, avoid them if you can. Unless you need an integrated space heater.
  2. I prefer the 3200 simply for the cool and quiet software that socket 939 can use. And if funds are tight, I would get the 3000 for $55 at newegg and have more for the motherboard. And Fry's has the 3500 with ecs kn1 lite nforce4 board for $100 right now, if you live near one.
  3. I'll second that motion. AMD has the best processors under $100.
  4. Okay, AMD it is; knew I should not have left my roots :) Should I stick with the 939 or the new AM2?
  5. On budget, stick with 939, most likely cheaper ram/mobo.

If you do have money to go AM2, then a X2 3600 could be a wise choice, will probably be to much for you though, just saying
  6. If you have 939 and only a $100 to spend, stick with 939. If you have AM2 and only a $100 to spend, stick with AM2. Unless you have atleast $600 to spend, stick with with what board you have now. If not then upgrade to Core 2.
  7. Quote:
    AMD all the way. Prescotts are junk, avoid them if you can. Unless you need an integrated space heater.

No kidding. I have a Prescott and it heats my whole room when I play games :(
  8. Quote:
    I was hooked on AMD, but the Intel chip seems like you get more punch for the dollar.. I would be using this mainly for a home computer with the occasional video game - never will quit :)

According to benchmarks, and correct me if I am wrong, the prescott 540 does quite well in comparison to it's rival AMD chips within it's price range. However, I could not find many reviews on the chip, so I thought I would inquire from all you tech gurus. Thanks for your input!

Unless you frequently do video encoding, stick with AMD.
  9. Quote:

Man, prescott is C R A P, the only reason for one to mention those cores is to underline the darkest region in CPU history; it's something like art in the middle ages, pure SH!T.
    Prescotts never stop surprising me with their immense uncapability; 2 days ago I installed some software on my uncle's PC (P43.06G/533 w/o HT), after that put it on virus scanning but it took ages for a web page to open after I clicked on the icon 8O . And switching between the two apps was frustrating.
    On my A64 3000+ I can; render, play MP3, zip files and browse the web, rarely experiencing short retards.
    Under $100 you get the 3800+ that is better than the 540.
  10. Well, m25 might be a bit "heavy handed" here, but the general message is correct :D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Chip AMD