How to compare Epson 1670 to Epson 3170?

I'm starting to do some graphic work and need to buy my first scanner.
I'll be scanning films and I intend to use it for quite a few years.
I'm looking at Epson 1670 at about $80 and 3170 at about $160.

I read reviews at different sites. Both Epinions.com users and
Pricegrabber.com users give very good rating for both scanners other
than the Mac issue (Mine is Win XP). Many users said it's the best
scanners they've ever owned for either scanner. But at Cnet.com,
Editor review gives 8.2 (very good) out of 10 for 1670 and 7.5 (good)
for 3170. That seems to suggest 1670 is better than 3170. If you've
tried both scanners, what's your opinion on both?

"Elly" <Elly@helpdesk.com> wrote in message
> I'm starting to do some graphic work and need to buy my first scanner.
> I'll be scanning films and I intend to use it for quite a few years.
> I'm looking at Epson 1670 at about $80 and 3170 at about $160.
>
> I read reviews at different sites. Both Epinions.com users and
> Pricegrabber.com users give very good rating for both scanners other
> than the Mac issue (Mine is Win XP). Many users said it's the best
> scanners they've ever owned for either scanner. But at Cnet.com,
> Editor review gives 8.2 (very good) out of 10 for 1670 and 7.5 (good)
> for 3170. That seems to suggest 1670 is better than 3170. If you've
> tried both scanners, what's your opinion on both?

For film the better choice is the 3170. The 1670 has a max resolution of
1600 DPI, the 3170 is 3200 DPI.

Both scanners are good for scanning flat pages.

The 1670 will scan only 35mm negatives or slides.

The 3170 will scan up to 2.6" x 9" Negatives or Transparencies. Which
includes 2-1/4" or 120mm (medium format).

If you are going to be primarily scanning film, a Film Scanner would be a
better machine.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com