THGC Old Timers: Whose in on a G80?

rampage

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
I'm in for one 8800GTX. 8) :trophy:

New AA mode, rumored performance free HDR+AA (HDR+AA DONE RIGHT), 128 unified shaders, finally a shrouded HS to push the air out of the case, and only 450watt total system power required vs 400watt total for GX2. Oh, and industry leading Nvidia software and driver support.

Snot bad. :wink:
-K

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
By no means am I an old timer, but I am still waiting...waiting...to see benchmarks and release prices. I plan to make the jump on a flagship card, possibly waiting till second generation...

We will see how my 7800GT holds up till then.

rampage

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
No your not an old timer (I'm not 'technically' anymore either ;)) but I like the music choices and the GPU choice! AND I see you're an American. You are clearly the best the world has to offer my man!

Yeah the die shrink wouldnt be a bad choice to wait for. Ive been leaning towards upgrading every release cycle because I wont lose much money, and its wayyyy too fun :D

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
i agree, i'll wait for benchmarks, price gauging to stop and i want to have hard evidence who's better g80 or r600 8)

Your going to have to wait for 4 months for R600 benchmarks.. but G80 should be here in 2-3 weeks.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I'll be waiting too but I'm looking forward to the R600 more. My jaw dropped when I read the final specs for the G80 but ATI, from their impressions thus far, doesn't seem too be concerned.

They either have something that can out run the G80 or they're playing it cool.

So either way, by waiting, I'll be able to make smarter decision.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
If its gonna be four months late, the R600 had BETTER be faster. Although, to tell you the truth, I really can't see ATI releasing a new card so late unless it totally kicks a$$.

Wonder what it will be called... maybe they'll release an X2800XTX and then 6 weeks later pump out an X2900XTX.

Of course thats just speculation, but they've done this for the past two generations now [X800XT -> X850XT and X1800XT -> X1900XT(X)].

Who knows?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Darn it, i cant bare to see u like this!
Please! Just buy an X1900XT so ill feel better. I cant bare to think abt u playing games without AA.

rampage

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
If its gonna be four months late, the R600 had BETTER be faster. Although, to tell you the truth, I really can't see ATI releasing a new card so late unless it totally kicks a$$.

Unless they got caught completely with their pants down.

Which is what happened in at least the unified shader part. NV bluffs like crazy on what they are going to release and keep a tight lid on info.. even purposefully giving out the incorrect info to throw off ATI.

I doubt 128unified shaders on G80 + free HDR+AA, is what ATI was expecting..
its not looking good.

Some will wait and see, but I prefer Nvidias driver support so much more that the R600 would not only have to match Nvidia's card, but beat it down badly.
Not very likely.. at best we'll prob have a tie. Esp when you consider by the time R600 is out, NV will have the G80 die shrink + GDDR4 version out.. which will be INSANE.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Esp when you consider by the time R600 is out, NV will have the G80 die shrink + GDDR4 version out.. which will be INSANE.

Hang on, won't the G80 launch with GDDR4? I thought that at its speed GDDR3 might actually give it a bottleneck.

happy_fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Am I nuts or is there no way to disable the annoying popup that the Nvidia 9x.xx drivers display that reminds me i don't have SLI?
(besides buying a Radeon)

SLI-Multi GPU rendering is disabled, your computer will self destruct in 30 seconds

rampage

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Esp when you consider by the time R600 is out, NV will have the G80 die shrink + GDDR4 version out.. which will be INSANE.

Hang on, won't the G80 launch with GDDR4? I thought that at its speed GDDR3 might actually give it a bottleneck.

Thats what the 384bit bus is for (OVERKILL.. this things going to be a beast and waaayyy more than enough). Provides for 768MB@ 2ghish, but of course skipped cycles and power management will cut those digits down.

G80s refresh will likely have GDDR4 + this 384bit bus.
But there will be no bottleneck due to the GDDR3 at all with the way this chip is setup.

GDDR3 is cheaper and more plentiful. When NV slaps on GDDR4 ATI is going to be hurting.

I'm guessing this initial G80 launch will equal R600, possibly even be faster when R600 launches.. not even kidding.

We'll have to see though.

rampage

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Am I nuts or is there no way to disable the annoying popup that the Nvidia 9x.xx drivers display that reminds me i don't have SLI?
(besides buying a Radeon)

SLI-Multi GPU rendering is disabled, your computer will self destruct in 30 seconds

The newest NV drivers shouldnt do that. But it only pops up once on reboot.. :roll:

Heres your fix

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
well, im waiting untill NEXT christmas anyway (budget constraints :evil: )

Im a red, always have been.

But, as far as CPU's go, after core 2 duo came out and proved that intel was even concerned about life, i could go either way. Besides, my next rig will be watercool'd to DA MAX, and i have one or two interesting ideas that could allow me to get a REaL high OC. So, ill pick in order: Best OC, best archetecture.

Same goes for DX10 cards. Seeing that nVidia has cleaned up their act (a texas size one) in regards to, well, all of it, ESPECIALLY the eyecandy.

But, that prbly won't happen.