THGC Old Timers: Whose in on a G80?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 17, 2006 3:27:13 AM

I'm in for one 8800GTX. 8) :trophy:

New AA mode, rumored performance free HDR+AA (HDR+AA DONE RIGHT), 128 unified shaders, finally a shrouded HS to push the air out of the case, and only 450watt total system power required vs 400watt total for GX2. Oh, and industry leading Nvidia software and driver support.

Snot bad. :wink:
-K

More about : thgc timers g80

October 17, 2006 3:32:06 AM

R600 thx :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
October 17, 2006 4:08:21 AM

By no means am I an old timer, but I am still waiting...waiting...to see benchmarks and release prices. I plan to make the jump on a flagship card, possibly waiting till second generation...

We will see how my 7800GT holds up till then.
Related resources
October 17, 2006 4:18:04 AM

No your not an old timer (I'm not 'technically' anymore either ;) ) but I like the music choices and the GPU choice! AND I see you're an American. You are clearly the best the world has to offer my man!

Yeah the die shrink wouldnt be a bad choice to wait for. Ive been leaning towards upgrading every release cycle because I wont lose much money, and its wayyyy too fun :D 
October 17, 2006 4:22:11 AM

R600 might be better.

If nVidia finally gets HDR+AA right, who knows what ATI will bring to the table?
October 17, 2006 4:25:32 AM

i agree, i'll wait for benchmarks, price gauging to stop and i want to have hard evidence who's better g80 or r600 8)
October 17, 2006 4:27:23 AM

Quote:
i agree, i'll wait for benchmarks, price gauging to stop and i want to have hard evidence who's better g80 or r600 8)

Your going to have to wait for 4 months for R600 benchmarks.. but G80 should be here in 2-3 weeks.
October 17, 2006 4:30:28 AM

i don't mind waiting, i'd rather wait and make a smart buy than get something quick and waste my money 8)
October 17, 2006 4:51:44 AM

I'll be waiting too but I'm looking forward to the R600 more. My jaw dropped when I read the final specs for the G80 but ATI, from their impressions thus far, doesn't seem too be concerned.

They either have something that can out run the G80 or they're playing it cool.

So either way, by waiting, I'll be able to make smarter decision.
October 17, 2006 4:54:49 AM

Quote:
So either way, by waiting, I'll be able to make smarter decision.

the smartest thing to do if you ask me
October 17, 2006 5:06:53 AM

Your going to have to buy an X1900XT until then.
October 17, 2006 5:08:28 AM

no, i'll get by on my x1600 pro :oops: 
October 17, 2006 5:26:04 AM

If its gonna be four months late, the R600 had BETTER be faster. Although, to tell you the truth, I really can't see ATI releasing a new card so late unless it totally kicks a$$.

Wonder what it will be called... maybe they'll release an X2800XTX and then 6 weeks later pump out an X2900XTX.

Of course thats just speculation, but they've done this for the past two generations now [X800XT -> X850XT and X1800XT -> X1900XT(X)].

Who knows?
October 17, 2006 5:28:58 AM

well, i'm not planning on upgrading my vga until january anyway, so we'll see how it goes.
October 17, 2006 5:42:44 AM

Darn it, i cant bare to see u like this!
Please! Just buy an X1900XT so ill feel better. I cant bare to think abt u playing games without AA.
October 17, 2006 5:44:10 AM

why don't you buy me one, that way we'll both be happy
October 17, 2006 5:49:40 AM

Quote:
If its gonna be four months late, the R600 had BETTER be faster. Although, to tell you the truth, I really can't see ATI releasing a new card so late unless it totally kicks a$$.

Unless they got caught completely with their pants down.

Which is what happened in at least the unified shader part. NV bluffs like crazy on what they are going to release and keep a tight lid on info.. even purposefully giving out the incorrect info to throw off ATI.

I doubt 128unified shaders on G80 + free HDR+AA, is what ATI was expecting..
its not looking good.

Some will wait and see, but I prefer Nvidias driver support so much more that the R600 would not only have to match Nvidia's card, but beat it down badly.
Not very likely.. at best we'll prob have a tie. Esp when you consider by the time R600 is out, NV will have the G80 die shrink + GDDR4 version out.. which will be INSANE.
October 17, 2006 6:13:19 AM

Quote:
Esp when you consider by the time R600 is out, NV will have the G80 die shrink + GDDR4 version out.. which will be INSANE.

Hang on, won't the G80 launch with GDDR4? I thought that at its speed GDDR3 might actually give it a bottleneck.
October 17, 2006 6:19:51 AM

Am I nuts or is there no way to disable the annoying popup that the Nvidia 9x.xx drivers display that reminds me i don't have SLI?
(besides buying a Radeon)

SLI-Multi GPU rendering is disabled, your computer will self destruct in 30 seconds
October 17, 2006 6:21:21 AM

Quote:
Esp when you consider by the time R600 is out, NV will have the G80 die shrink + GDDR4 version out.. which will be INSANE.

Hang on, won't the G80 launch with GDDR4? I thought that at its speed GDDR3 might actually give it a bottleneck.

Thats what the 384bit bus is for (OVERKILL.. this things going to be a beast and waaayyy more than enough). Provides for 768MB@ 2ghish, but of course skipped cycles and power management will cut those digits down.

G80s refresh will likely have GDDR4 + this 384bit bus.
But there will be no bottleneck due to the GDDR3 at all with the way this chip is setup.

GDDR3 is cheaper and more plentiful. When NV slaps on GDDR4 ATI is going to be hurting.

I'm guessing this initial G80 launch will equal R600, possibly even be faster when R600 launches.. not even kidding.

We'll have to see though.
October 17, 2006 6:27:12 AM

Quote:
Thats what the 384bit bus is for (OVERKILL.. this things going to be a beast and waaayyy more than enough).

it's an overkill for know, but requirements will be higher with vista and new dx10 games
October 17, 2006 6:27:25 AM

Quote:
Am I nuts or is there no way to disable the annoying popup that the Nvidia 9x.xx drivers display that reminds me i don't have SLI?

SLI-Multi GPU rendering is disabled, your computer will self destruct in 30 seconds

The newest NV drivers shouldnt do that. But it only pops up once on reboot.. :roll:

Heres your fix
October 17, 2006 6:30:23 AM

<---Getting r600.
October 17, 2006 7:04:43 AM

well, im waiting untill NEXT christmas anyway (budget constraints :evil:  )

Im a red, always have been.

But, as far as CPU's go, after core 2 duo came out and proved that intel was even concerned about life, i could go either way. Besides, my next rig will be watercool'd to DA MAX, and i have one or two interesting ideas that could allow me to get a REaL high OC. So, ill pick in order: Best OC, best archetecture.

Same goes for DX10 cards. Seeing that nVidia has cleaned up their act (a texas size one) in regards to, well, all of it, ESPECIALLY the eyecandy.

But, that prbly won't happen.
October 17, 2006 7:42:37 AM

Frankly, I'll wait to see which has best OpenGL/multicontext support - my bet would be Nvidia.

Irrelevant? Not when you're running Linux as your main desktop.
October 17, 2006 1:49:17 PM

[Sarcasm]

No, no! YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG!

I know FOR SURE that card 'X' that I've never seen and has never been benchmarked will be better than card 'Y' that I've never seen and has never been benchmarked!

Believe me! My arguments are compelling if you ignore the complete lack of evidence!

[/sarcasm]

:roll:
October 17, 2006 2:41:46 PM

I'm going to wait to see a bench before I order, but I expect to throw down for one 8800GTX for my new rig, if thinks look promising. I'm looking to play Oblivion at 1600x1200 with a lot of pretties turned on. All the pretties turned on would be nice, but I don't think I can spring for two 8800GTX's.

I don't really care all that much if the ATi offering is better 2-3 months down the line. I'm in higher ed, and I've got like three weeks of winter break to get all the gaming out of my system before I've gotta get my nose back to the grindstone.
October 17, 2006 2:50:24 PM

Quote:

The newest NV drivers shouldnt do that. But it only pops up once on reboot.. :roll:

Heres your fix

You're my hero.

And since I bought a 7900GT, I'll skip the 8 series.
October 17, 2006 3:33:46 PM

i'll be getting a 8800GTS along with C2D E6600 as part of a major upgrade mid december. Current computer is Athlon XP, Ti4200 and that is not long after uni fishes and want to play during holidays not wait who knows how long for the R600.
October 17, 2006 3:42:26 PM

You have to remember, as soon as the G80 is released and the specs are everywhere. ATi will be releasing all they can about the R600 in an attempt to stop the sales of the G80 eating up their consumer base. The first week after the G80 is released will be the time when you will decide what to go for.

Besides a 4 months gap is almost ¼ of a GFX cards lifespan, it is in my system anyway.
October 17, 2006 4:10:25 PM

Quote:
No your not an old timer (I'm not 'technically' anymore either ;) ) but I like the music choices and the GPU choice! AND I see you're an American. You are clearly the best the world has to offer my man!

Yeah the die shrink wouldnt be a bad choice to wait for. Ive been leaning towards upgrading every release cycle because I wont lose much money, and its wayyyy too fun :D 

It's about time I have a life-fan. I am basically the coolest.

Cleeve summed it up, it's all nonsense and guesswork until we can see benchmarks and price comparison.
October 17, 2006 4:27:46 PM

Quote:

Your going to have to wait for 4 months for R600 benchmarks.. but G80 should be here in 2-3 weeks.

So what if the G80 will be here in 2-3 weeks? You got Vista to run it on? Until Vista really comes out, DX10 cards won't be of that much value. In about 3 months, Vista may appear and then DX10 will make some sense, but still not much, as there will few, if any, games that require it for some time. If Vista gets delayed again, then buying a DX10 card now makes even less sense.

I'd just as soon wait for the R600 so to at least have some benchmarks for comparison. Can you imagine the sinking feeling that you'd have if you spent a whole lot of dollars for one of the first G80 cards, only to find out a R600 beat it? As they say, patience is a virtue. Even if the R600 doesn't beat the G80 in the benchmark, waiting a bit might well save some money if the price drops after the initial rush. I'm very content to wait, and then get what seems to be the best card for the money.
October 17, 2006 4:44:58 PM

Quote:
Frankly, I'll wait to see which has best OpenGL/multicontext support - my bet would be Nvidia.

Irrelevant? Not when you're running Linux as your main desktop.

we can live in hope that they open up some of their older hardware once the new stuff comes out. The open hardware project is a way of yet and is unlikely to give us much beyond the existing older models, except for OPEN DRIVERS!!
October 17, 2006 5:10:02 PM

Quote:
The first week after the G80 is released will be the time when you will decide what to go for.

Can you say "Hyperactive Kneejerk Syndrome"?

Quote:
Besides a 4 months gap is almost ¼ of a GFX cards lifespan, it is in my system anyway.

Are you self-delusional too?
October 17, 2006 5:15:04 PM

Quote:
R600 thx :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Same for me! ATI are already a generation of architecture ahead of nVidia really, R600 is just going to increase the gap in my opinion.
October 17, 2006 5:24:38 PM

Who cares if Vista isnt here? This thing is going to smoke your card, my card.. anything in DX9 as well as have DX10.

If you dont want the most advanced, fastest card in the world dont buy one.

Theres alot of us with money though that want this. The waiting game can be played forever and people tend to wait out everything for eternity because theres ALWAYS something around the corner.

Just buy what you want when you need it and be done with it.

For me, I want Nvidias fastest card.. almost all the time because I love blowing the doors off of ATIs delayed cards that often (even 3 months down the road after G80s launch) turn out to be paper launches as well!

The problem here is that ATIs holiday sales are hereby DESTROYED... again.
The 7800s did the same thing. This isnt good for ATI that they cant get product out the door. It hurts big time if you cant get your product out the door for Christmas.

Not to mention I'd hate to see ATI program drivers for a unified architechure... I'm putting my money on NV writing quality backwards-compatible drivers that allow unified shaders to work optimally and load balance properly with DX9 games.

Wait and bet on ATI if you wish. But I'll still be here when R600 comes and if you do buy it.. know I'll have the G80 refresh part as well.. and I'll likely continue to be ahead then as well as 2 weeks from now.
October 17, 2006 5:24:56 PM

Quote:
Some will wait and see, but I prefer Nvidias driver support so much more that the R600 would not only have to match Nvidia's card, but beat it down badly.
Not very likely.. at best we'll prob have a tie. Esp when you consider by the time R600 is out, NV will have the G80 die shrink + GDDR4 version out.. which will be INSANE.

mmm
i don't think that nvidia will release their newest products only four months after their first...
so ati should be allright i think

anyway i'm waiting for a comparison of G80 and R600
only then i will decide 8)
October 17, 2006 5:31:58 PM

Quote:

mmm
i don't think that nvidia will release their newest products only four months after their first...
so ati should be allright i think

anyway i'm waiting for a comparison of G80 and R600
only then i will decide 8)

You are assuming ATI actually gets R600 in stores in mass quantity within 4 months.
They probably wont. Its not how ATI operates.

G80s spring refresh should be available ~6 months from the G80 launch, give or take a bit... depending if they need to against R600 or if their outselling R600 so even if it is equal performance.
We'll have to see.. but NV def has the upper hand with G80 and is going to gobble up all of ATIs holiday sales.

Which isnt going to encourage AMD to continue the ATI fight.
ATIs been losing money on high end parts forever, just to remain in the fight against Nvidia.. and have been pulling money from other areas of their business to finance it.
Its widely known that AMD purchased ATI to enhance AMDs business, not to continue losing money in ATIs weak areas.
October 17, 2006 5:41:46 PM

Please quit hating on ATI's OLD driver problem from about 6 years ago. Their drivers are fine now and are frequently updated...(to bad I cant say that for nVidia)...I personally like having updates once a month for my video card; game fixes, better hardware use/support, more stability, better software support such as helps with direct x issues/updates. And as far as delays go and cards comming out after card and what not. nVidia released the 7900GTX after the X1900XT/X and yet the XT/X seems to be widley recognized as the better card because of its features and ability to render at high framerates and have great picture quality. So why all the bias hate towards a company who is now own'd by a company which so many of you like so very much...im assuming?!?

Best,

3Ball
October 17, 2006 6:19:10 PM

Quote:

So what if the G80 will be here in 2-3 weeks? You got Vista to run it on? Until Vista really comes out, DX10 cards won't be of that much value.

You're absolutely right. Without DX10, all G80 is good for is blazing fast DX 9 graphics. Ugh.
October 17, 2006 6:24:29 PM

Quote:

Heheh, Now, that's an odd conclusion, seeing as how the X1950 PRO looks to kick ass in the $200 segment, and the X1900 series is still selling very strong. Ati has a very attractive midrange, and that's where the real money is. And that's not even considering if the cheap 24-shader strong X1650 XT shows up before christmas.

Everyone's also assuming that the 8800 is going to be available en masse... just because they release it, don't mean there's alot of them, or enough to really affect their christmas season sales. Nvidia has had recent launches where availability was minimal for a month or two.

Don't get me wrong, the 8800 looks to be a real solid GPU... but it sounds to me like a heap of fanboy-friendly assumptions you're making there, Rampage. You're counting chickens, homes .

When the cards arrive, then you can draw conclusions. Until then, talk is pretty cheap, especially when it's hardcore boasting about something none of us have seen in action.
October 17, 2006 6:36:28 PM

Quote:

Everyone's also assuming that the 8800 is going to be available en masse... just because they release it, don't mean there's alot of them, or enough to really affect their christmas season sales. Nvidia has had recent launches where availability was minimal for a month or two.

Now, that's a good point. If nVidia pulls a paper launch with the 8800GTX, I'm buying ATi for spite.
October 17, 2006 6:36:57 PM

I only look at cards that Cleeve has rated, hence the sig. Besides he only deals with the facts.
October 17, 2006 6:37:11 PM

Quote:
Who cares if Vista isnt here? This thing is going to smoke your card, my card.. anything in DX9 as well as have DX10.

Theres alot of us with money though that want this. The waiting game can be played forever and people tend to wait out everything for eternity because theres ALWAYS something around the corner.

For me, I want Nvidias fastest card.. almost all the time because I love blowing the doors off of ATIs delayed cards that often (even 3 months down the road after G80s launch) turn out to be paper launches as well!

The 7800s did the same thing. This isnt good for ATI that they cant get product out the door. It hurts big time if you cant get your product out the door for Christmas.

Not to mention I'd hate to see ATI program drivers for a unified architechure... I'm putting my money on NV writing quality backwards-compatible drivers that allow unified shaders to work optimally and load balance properly with DX9 games.

Wait and bet on ATI if you wish. But I'll still be here when R600 comes and if you do buy it.. know I'll have the G80 refresh part as well.. and I'll likely continue to be ahead then as well as 2 weeks from now.

Wow! What are you on, anyway? You need to go back and read Cleeve's comments, cause they really describe what you're spouting.

DX10 is for Vista. If you don't have Vista, you can't run DX10. That's what I've been told all along. Therefore, if you can't run DX10, what good is a DX10 card going to do you? It can't run anything better than DX9 until you have Vista as your OS. Nvidia's early launch doesn't do any good for anybody except Nvidia's bank accounts.

Sounds like you have lots of money to burn. Good for you. Most people don't. Most people want to get the best they can for the dollars they have. Therefore, they wait for benchmark comparrisons before they invest their dollars. There is that old saying, "Look before you leap". I'm definitely a person that looks, because I've made too many mistakes when I didn't. Even then, on occasion I get burned, but at least I can say that I looked first.

I've bought plenty of Nvidia cards in the past, more than ATI cards, but I don't buy blindly. That said, I did buy a 7800 GTX a year ago, so I know how it performs. I also know that when I replaced it with the present X1900 XTX, which cost about the same amount of money even with the watercooling, my 3DMark score went up by 1400 points. Last I've looked at the benchmarks, the 7900 GTX does not beat the X1900 XTX. So which is the better card?

I prefer to wait, and I think most people with any sense also will wait. Then we'll be able to pick and choose what we think is best, and not just blindly buy unknown products. As for your attitude, I think it qualifies as extreme fanboyism, and therefore has little value to anyone with any sense.
October 17, 2006 7:15:18 PM

Quote:

Wow! What are you on, anyway? You need to go back and read Cleeve's comments, cause they really describe what you're spouting.

DX10 is for Vista. If you don't have Vista, you can't run DX10. That's what I've been told all along. Therefore, if you can't run DX10, what good is a DX10 card going to do you? It can't run anything better than DX9 until you have Vista as your OS. Nvidia's early launch doesn't do any good for anybody except Nvidia's bank accounts.

Sounds like you have lots of money to burn. Good for you. Most people don't. Most people want to get the best they can for the dollars they have. Therefore, they wait for benchmark comparrisons before they invest their dollars. There is that old saying, "Look before you leap". I'm definitely a person that looks, because I've made too many mistakes when I didn't. Even then, on occasion I get burned, but at least I can say that I looked first.

I've bought plenty of Nvidia cards in the past, more than ATI cards, but I don't buy blindly. That said, I did buy a 7800 GTX a year ago, so I know how it performs. I also know that when I replaced it with the present X1900 XTX, which cost about the same amount of money even with the watercooling, my 3DMark score went up by 1400 points. Last I've looked at the benchmarks, the 7900 GTX does not beat the X1900 XTX. So which is the better card?

I prefer to wait, and I think most people with any sense also will wait. Then we'll be able to pick and choose what we think is best, and not just blindly buy unknown products. As for your attitude, I think it qualifies as extreme fanboyism, and therefore has little value to anyone with any sense.

I totally agree.
October 18, 2006 12:27:07 AM

You are wrong Cleeve and I will return fire tomorrow. I'm clepping out of a very difficult course tomorrow and I need to study hardcore, no time for owning all you ATI fanboys. Not today. But tomorrow is a new day.

Theres no counting chickens man.. and I'll explain tomorrow.

And why are you the only old school member of the ATI defense league left around here? Wheres the others?
You cant stop the K. :wink:

BTW, its clear half the people on this forum have missed or dont read so many tech articles and news clips.
People are saying things that wouldnt even be said in other forums. Like the SLI popup issue... that was an eternity ago..

I've always said this place was the backwoods of the online forum world and it still is. Less desirable because of all these guys you are the only formidable one at all Cleeve. Wheres the others? With Nvidia being armed with G80 its a pretty pointless battle for you ATI devotees to attempt any sort of defense league. Pretty sad to attempt to fight it.

The thing that puts the biggest smile on my face is knowing ATI is now owned by an American corporation. A takeover, owned like bitches just the way I like to see it done.
God Bless America
October 18, 2006 12:46:41 AM

Quote:
[Sarcasm]

No, no! YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG!

I know FOR SURE that card 'X' that I've never seen and has never been benchmarked will be better than card 'Y' that I've never seen and has never been benchmarked!

Believe me! My arguments are compelling if you ignore the complete lack of evidence!

[/sarcasm]

:roll:

LMAO :lol: 
October 18, 2006 12:55:41 AM

Quote:
BTW, its clear half the people on this forum have missed or dont read so many tech articles and news clips.
People are saying things that wouldnt even be said in other forums. Like the SLI popup issue... that was an eternity ago..

I've always said this place was the backwoods of the online forum world and it still is. Less desirable because of all these guys you are the only formidable one at all Cleeve. Wheres the others?

Well you are obviously a well-read, technical person. What are you doing in the "backwoods" :?:
October 18, 2006 12:57:49 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the 8800 looks to be a real solid GPU... but it sounds to me like a heap of fanboy-friendly assumptions you're making there, Rampage. You're counting chickens, homes .

LMAO, true that
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest
!