no system ressources?

We have a WinME app running into 'too few system ressources' (system as well
as user and GDI) and were told that XP wouldn't have any more these limited
system memory areas. Is that true and these areas doesn't exist any more, or
were they only dimensioned much larger and we will run into the same problem
some near day?
Thank you.

Hi,

Completely different memory management in the NT kernel, Bruno. Many of
these issues don't (and never have) exist(ed) in NT systems. You might want
to use the Windows SDK with your app:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/default.htm?p=/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/home.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bruno Köller" <dontspam2bk@online.de> wrote in message
> We have a WinME app running into 'too few system ressources' (system as
> well
> as user and GDI) and were told that XP wouldn't have any more these
> limited
> system memory areas. Is that true and these areas doesn't exist any more,
> or
> were they only dimensioned much larger and we will run into the same
> problem
> some near day?
> Thank you.

Thanks for the link, Rick, hmm, but what can the SDK help me when a foreign
application wastes ressources on our WinME system?

Apps from my own don't waste space <g> and therefore run pretty nice
wherever they have enough air to live and free space on disk.

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Sorry, I thought you had meant it was your application. SDK won't help
without access to the sourcecode, I thought you had wanted to rewrite the
app to be XP compliant - my bad. Nothing is going to change the resource
issues in a 9x system.

--

> Thanks for the link, Rick, hmm, but what can the SDK help me when a
> foreign
> application wastes ressources on our WinME system?
>
> Apps from my own don't waste space <g> and therefore run pretty nice
> wherever they have enough air to live and free space on disk.
>
> Bruno

> I thought you had wanted to rewrite the app to be XP compliant

I'm writing VB5/6 programs, too. I know it might not be the appropriate NG,
but maybe you can tell me if there is really a need to dig deeper into SDK,
or does the VB compiler generally this for me? Till now I do my apps compile
under Win98 and WinME systems so that they run under both W988... and
WinNT... OPs, so what could be the benefit to dig deeper into WinSDK?

Mainly to ensure the right libraries are there, though many are common to
all, they're not all the right version. In general, the higher the OS, the
higher the version (though I'm sure you know that). Applications developed
under older versions may not function properly if the run-time libraries
change significantly. Then there are the api's, etc - same basic principal.
Simple programs don't usually encounter many programs when ported, but the
more involved they are, the more likely they will run into a compatibility
issue.