Help! E6400 on GA-p965-DS3

hobbitfeet

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Hi, I am new here so i am not sure if this is where i would post this or not.

I just got a new E6400 chip, Ga-p965-DS3, AIW x1900, 2 x 512mb OCZ Gold Ram, Ultra SLI 500w ps and so...on. Put everthing in my case and started up.
The computer made a noise like was reving up and the cpu fan nudged but did not start. I think the video card was making a wierd noise like the fan was not spinning right. So i swaped out the video card and put in a x1600 and no more wierd noise there. But the cpu is still messed up.

I do not want to burnout anything so if anyone has a suggestion on my two problem that would be greatly appreciationed.

Thanks

Have you tried disassembling your PC and reassembling it to make sure that nothing is making a bridge with the motherboard and the case? Have you made sure that there is nothing blocking the CPU fan? Have you made sure of all your connections? Did you remember to use standoffs when installing your mother board? Did you make sure the HSF is firmly installed on the motherboard?
There are a list of things that you could do to trouble shoot this. Try these and come back and tell us if it still doesn't work. If your computer doesn't immediately start up, turn it off quickly before you cause any permanent damage to components.
Ja ne,
Ninja

darkhorror

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
The fan won't run as soon as the computer starts up, the fan speed is temp based. It needs to warm up before the fan turns on. You can have the fan running at full speed all the time if you disable the fan speed controler in the bios.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Pre-RMA OZC ram won't boot in that board. Try booting with one stick, getting int the BIOS and adding +0.3v to the memory bus. If that won't work, boot with someone else's ram and set the BIOS. Or RMS the OCZ ram - they're pretty reasonable about it

hobbitfeet

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for the help.

I had taken everything apart and did a rebuild with no luck. I am glad to hear that the fan problem was just a setting. It's a good thing to know that the fan not starting is because the temp was to low to need it. So I made the change in the bios to run it all the time so I know that its working.

I also found out that the fan on my x1900 is hitting something in the heatsink and thats whats causing the wierd noise. So I am taking that back to the store and getting a new one.

The ram was not an issue and worked right out of the box.
My ram is: OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz Gold Extreme XTC 1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel Kit

Thanks again.