Second Take: Games of the Year

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Could anyone post the list of games they talk about?

Some of us are not so lucky to be able to watch a video at work :)

bennyblanx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Could anyone post the list of games they talk about?

Some of us are not so lucky to be able to watch a video at work Smile

It is a short list: World of Warcraft: Burning Crusades, God of War 2 and Command and Conquer 3.

This was not a favorites list, but a list of the games we thought really stood out during the first 6 months of the year.

You may commence to pick us apart....now.

hunter_s

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
ram, I agree! While I can admit that STALKER had its share of technical issues, it was still a great, unique game with a great story, great gameplay, great AI, and FUN.

It is certainly a much more entertaining than Command & Conquer, and it was obvious that the commentators didn't even LIKE the Burning Crusade. Even it it wasn't one of the games of the [first half of the] year, I find it hard to believe that STALKER wasn't worth a mention.

BladeVenom

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar may not be the most popular PC game, but it is the best PC game out so far this year.

BigBuckinChicken

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Someone PLEASE fire those two, they COMPLETELY suck at reviewing games. I mean REALLY TRULY UTTERLY SUCK. Game reviews should have screen shots, some replay, some features explained...not a couple of at least semi gay guys sitting there telling their opinion... This was the absolute worst "game review" I have ever seen.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Someone PLEASE fire those two, they COMPLETELY suck at reviewing games. I mean REALLY TRULY UTTERLY SUCK. Game reviews should have screen shots, some replay, some features explained...not a couple of at least semi gay guys sitting there telling their opinion... This was the absolute worst "game review" I have ever seen.

LOL, I see your point but I like the way they are. Go to gametrailers of ign to see something like that. I like the break down discussions that they have.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Gee so i'm not the only one who thinks some of their video productions are stupid!!!!! :wink:

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007

are u stupid or you do it in purpose ? This was NOT a review video, it was just a discution about the best game of the half year, they are sharing their opinions. you need to be thrown from the everest.

holyjew

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
so far this year the only game that is even worth buying and comes even close to a "game of the 1st 1/2 of the year" is the oblivion exspansion...really no GOOD games have come out.

about those 2, i agree they really do not deserve to be reviewing games, game reviews should although include a personal opinion have a better reason then "cant argue with numbers" for why a game got on the list...wow expansion made it so big because of mass media advertiseing and a common culture of the game...if u really break wow down it isnt that great and from what i understand most of the hardcore players of wow hated the new expansion.

Quual

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
The only game worthy of game of the year was only mentioned in passing, I am talking about Supreme Commander. I believe it to be of the finest RTS games ever, a true successor to Total Annihilation. Even though I wasn't impressed with the single player aspect, the online play is simply outstanding, C&C3 doesn't even begin to compare.

About gaming addition, you hit the nail on the head about WOW. That game swallowed my life for almost 6 months, I had to force myself to quit before I lost my job, had no real life friends left, and developed severe health issues from lack of sleep. Sounds like addiction to me.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Supreme Commander was good - the multiplayer is outstanding in a LAN.
Battlefield 2142 is a really fun online xp (pity the menu is so crappy)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - is a good game if you can get past the dated look (esp character models)

Shivering Isles was great, but we've seen it all in Oblivions world sprawled with 1500 characters.
God of War 2 is damn fun...
Command and Conquer is fun but I feel like I’ve seen it done (poetry…?)

I think you have to give Supreme Commander the award - It's a fresh take on epic strategy and the in-game movies are crazy cool.

My vote Supreme Commander.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
IMO there was no game of the year.

Agreed, I bought supcom, wow burning crusade (haven't touched it, since my characters are low, been playing a month), c&c3.. blah blah blah, it's really been a boring year, i'm back to playing games from 05 and 06.

Hopefully crysis, quake, and unreal, starcraft 2 (demo anyways) will help this year.

netburst

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I would say from considering games that were released from the begining of 07 till now, it definately goes to Supreme Commander..

scrag_meister

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Games I talk about... UT2004 until UT3, Crysis until UT3, Supreme Commander until UT3 and last but not least UT3 until UT3 is released.

Lets face it the best is yet to come for 2007.

Games I've played in 2007 and completed so far, Quake 4, Settlers Heritage of Kings, Tomb Raider Legend.
Games I've played in 2007 and didn't like Oblivion.
Games I am playing now, Supreme Commander and UT2004.

Have fun folks.

zifko55

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Ugh, could you guys get someone thats somewhat professional to do these video reviews. Rob, you do the weirdest **** with your face when Ben is talking. It's painfully obvious your not one for the camera and I'm shocked nobody has told you, how many times you avoid looking at the camera and just have the strangest looks. Plus, stop trying to be funny, I feel embarrassed for you when you try and be funny.

For whatever reason you guys don't have a thread up for your horrible E3 review. I just wanted to say how could you not mention one of the biggest MMO's to be in production ever? Age of Conan... hello?? The game has been in production four years and your talking about some gay guitar game instead... eeeh bleh. I'm just about ready to stop visiting this website. This is your job to know whats out there and what game is making a big buzz. Age of Conan in three days had over 100k beta sign ups, it took WoW weeks to hit that number for beta sign ups.

bennyblanx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I just wanted to say how could you not mention one of the biggest MMO's to be in production ever? Age of Conan... hello?? The game has been in production four years and your talking about some gay guitar game instead... eeeh bleh.

Good catch, that's definitely a biggie we could've mentioned.

As for Rob's faces...I plead the Fifth.

zifko55

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
I guess I was a bit harsh on what I said after reading it again. -_-

I actually don't mind listening to you Ben, you usually touch on good points but then you get interrupted sometimes for useless information or Rob's trying to be funny (but never is). Anyway, the idea you guys came up with, on video reviews is a great idea, props to you guys. Just needs some tweaking is all. ^_^