Sign in with
Your question

Bad time to Homebuild?

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2006 2:26:32 PM

I was just about to build a new PC, had the funds ready and everything and broke my ankle the day before I ordered.

All of a sudden with less funds, my brains kicked and I started wondering, is it really the best time for anyone to homebuild? I know that everyone eventually just has to throw their money in the pot otherwise we would be waiting for ever, but the best time usually is when technology isn't doing a huge shift, correct?

With the g80 and the r600 graphic cards coming out soon, plus any other card that we need to wait for to make sure it works on DX10 next year, plus Quad Core Processors making their debut soon. Is it a bad time to buy?

More about : bad time homebuild

October 17, 2006 2:42:35 PM

You just answered your own question, don’t buy till they come out.
October 17, 2006 2:47:18 PM

Quote:
I was just about to build a new PC, had the funds ready and everything and broke my ankle the day before I ordered.

All of a sudden with less funds, my brains kicked and I started wondering, is it really the best time for anyone to homebuild? I know that everyone eventually just has to throw their money in the pot otherwise we would be waiting for ever, but the best time usually is when technology isn't doing a huge shift, correct?

With the g80 and the r600 graphic cards coming out soon, plus any other card that we need to wait for to make sure it works on DX10 next year, plus Quad Core Processors making their debut soon. Is it a bad time to buy?

You answered your own question when you said "I know eventually everyone just has to throw their money in.."

By the time quad cores are out, the next big thing will be on the horizon and people will tell you to wait for that too. Most applications cannot make use of 2 cores, let's not even talk about a quad core. Quad core will be expensive (First Intel Quad will be $999 or more), and you need a high end motherboard to run it.

As for DX10, unless you want to jump into Vista the day it comes out, having a DX10 with its massive power draw right now its not really a big deal. There are some DX9 cards (such as the X1900XT 256 ) that are an amazing value for the money available right now.

The best time to buy is when you have a need that your current system does not meet. Buying around when said feature X comes out is not a very good way to purchase items IMHO.
Related resources
October 17, 2006 3:00:08 PM

The best time to buy is when the components you need finally reach your price bracket. Just because DX10 is coming out doesn't mean you need it. If you're wondering about price drops, they've already happened. Look around.
October 17, 2006 3:09:24 PM

We are still on the intial rush of Core2duo, and there is a shortage of DDR2 memory, as both Core2duo and AMD's AM2 line both require it. Give it another 2 months and the early adoptors will have taken the brunt of the C2D tidal wave and the memory makers will have caught up to the demand for DDR2. And then you will have a better idea of what DX10 is all about and if it is worth the investment.

But really, if C2D drops by, say, $50... and the DDR2 come down by $75... will that $150 savings be worth the wait? I'll wager it won't really change your lifestyle.
October 17, 2006 3:44:33 PM

Holiday Season's coming up, big discounts on many goods, but also rise in prices for memory and others due to supply and demand...

I need to buy soon anyways since I'm running a laptop with a mobility Radeon 9700, and I'm forcing myself to play old games until Vista + DX10 come out, when I will then plop down a significant part of my life savings on that computer.

Quad-core is a non-factor right now, since no one will be able to afford it, and if they can, they're part of the money is no object crowd so buying carefully doesn't apply to them either.

I would say wait, but if you want it now, get it now. Life's too short. Eat your desert first.
October 17, 2006 3:58:45 PM

Quote:

It all depends. What is your present machine, and how soon do you need to change? Of course, your messed up ankle has delayed things a bit, and that might be the best thing that happened for you.

In the next couple months, a number of things are going to change. New hardware is coming out (DX10 cards, maybe quad core CPU's, other) and Vista may be out. Building a new machine only to find it outdated immediately is something that gets to a person, at least it does to me.

Beyond that, if you're on the AMD side of things, AM2 has not so far shown any great benefits compared to 939, unless you're the manufactoring companies. They get lots of your money. The best C2D's show good performance gains, but at a price. The only good thing here is that the lower cpus can be overclocked for great gains.

For myself, I'd wait to build. Then I'd be buying one set of parts and get one OS, Vista, so that I didn't have to make a migration of everything between OS's. But that's my opinion and others will no doubt have their opinions which are equally good for their desires.
October 17, 2006 4:37:16 PM

I'm with Doughbuy. Don't sit around waiting for the "next best thing" because there will always be the "next best thing." Only if your current system is decent should you ever wait.

I would see the ankle injury as a reason to sit and game all day :p  Without someone telling me to do something. Use the sympathy in your favor.
October 17, 2006 5:02:49 PM

Although i agree with the theory that if you need it you should buy now, I'd say wait. Yes, there is always something new around the corner but when you're this close to being around that corner, I'd wait.
October 17, 2006 5:24:57 PM

One question i just HAVE to ask, even though it may seem rude. How does breaking your ankle mean you have less funds to build a pc with??
October 17, 2006 5:36:23 PM

Either a big medical bill or loss of time at work i'd assume.
October 17, 2006 6:00:45 PM

Actually, I'm wondering... how did you break your ankle... if your prone to accidents like this, I would invest in a better health insurance plan, or save up some money when you break something even worse 8O

Just looking out for you.
October 17, 2006 6:13:13 PM

Sorry for your troubles... but, it is never a good time to build. Technology is constantly moving forward making todays build obsolete by the years end. try this, make your wish list, then make another list of what you can get by withbased on your current and six month needs, then combine the two list using your budget as the mediator. That way you will have a computer that will last you about two years, and you will probably be happy with it.

At least that is my thought on it...
October 17, 2006 6:32:26 PM

Not that this whole debate doesn't apply to me, but I was more curious how it affected every one of you homebuilders or at least how "could" it affect you all. My room mate is also a forum user and we have talked about this quite a bit latley and I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I had to.

Old GOat, you are pretty close on to what I want to do. I need to make my list and mark what could/will be massivley changed in the near future.

Quote:
Although i agree with the theory that if you need it you should buy now, I'd say wait. Yes, there is always something new around the corner but when you're this close to being around that corner, I'd wait.

I was under that impression also.

Quote:
One question i just HAVE to ask, even though it may seem rude. How does breaking your ankle mean you have less funds to build a pc with??

The breaking the ankle part was just a sidenote, but since you must know this all happened TWO WEEKs to the day before my insurance kicked in. So, after surgery, I am left with a $20k bill.

Quote:
Actually, I'm wondering... how did you break your ankle... if your prone to accidents like this, I would invest in a better health insurance plan, or save up some money when you break something even worse

Don't get me wrong, I have had accidents in the past when I was playing sports as a kid, 12+ years ago, but nothing since. It just happened that Murphy's law kicked in and the second I didn't have insurance, was hurt.
October 17, 2006 7:28:41 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, sucks. Kinda of defeats the whole purpose of insurance if the one chance that it did happen is when you didn't have it. Sorry to hear that.

Anyways, computer-wise, you know they're just going to keep getting better. But I will say this... the last couple of years tech has been a bit slow. Some nice things happening, but nothing close to whats happening now. We're doubling cores faster than we're doubling clock speeds. We have so many new specs and revision in the future I don't even know where to start. PCI-E 2.0, DDR3, and 802.11n will be here late next year. Flash HDD's, larger PMR drives, and Blu-ray/HD are going to become more widely used. Graphics cards are jumping by leaps and bounds, and don't even get me started on physics and AI chips...

So much is happening, so unless your willing to wait until all this flurry is done (which is probably after you cash in your 401K and life insurance becomes unaffordable), then there will always be something new and exciting. Wait for a DX10 card, which should be here soon, and then build a new system, go into a cave, and ignore all the other advances.
October 17, 2006 7:59:44 PM

Thanx Doughbuy, that's probably the right advice. I know I need to jump in, I just don't want to jump in at the "wrong" point.
October 17, 2006 8:30:41 PM

Only thing i can say is get your computer get a decent or use your current video card if you actualy care about vista. If not get the best video card you can get now adn wait a year till quad core and dx10 is actualy going to matter. 939 will still be used for at least another year they will continue to make cpus for the platform which imo is better since ddr2 timmings are so bad the ram dispite its clock speed is actualy considerably slower (more bandwidth but slower). Course if you want to get a core2 then do whatever chances are with intels past the platform will change so much uprading wouldnt be a huge option. Next best things are normaly hardly worth waiting for me personaly i dont care im in the money is no object section. Ill get it just because and wont care if its usefull (as in quad cores and scsi types of usefull) alot of things can use dual cpu's (cores) but nothing your going to do will use quad cpu's (cores) unless you run some nice servers of course. a year from now to a year after its released that will of course change but my bracket doesnt care about a year from now cuz the computer i buy today i wont be using in a year. However i do make sure the motherboards i buy are capable of using as much "future" tech as possible next motherboard i buy will be able to use quad core even if i decide i dont care to buy one in the next few months. Best thing to do is research the hell out of the motherboard your buying anything else isnt as important just recycle as many of your parts as possible.
October 17, 2006 10:40:52 PM

I actually think that now is a GREAT time to homebuild, and the reason is that Intel and AMD are now focussing their efforts on building multicore processors. In the short run at least, processors are going to turn up in generations - two core, then four core and so on.

We're still right at the beginning of the dual core generation. Although 4 core machines are available, they'll be in the minority for some time. Games writers will be targeting dual core machines for a long time yet.

Basically you've got the oppportunity now to buy machines that will run everything that's around today, and will run everything that's released in the next few years. People won't be releasing software that NEEDS a four core box for a fair while yet.

So if you buy a Core 2 today, you'll be getting something that makes a great job of all the software around today, but also makes a great job of all the software released in the next year or two. In computing terms that's about as good as it gets.
October 18, 2006 12:37:37 PM

You don't think the introduction of PCI Express 2.0 at the end of the year will be integrated correctly for awhile?
October 18, 2006 1:33:15 PM

I'm in agreement with the majority or is it the minority (i can't tell the difference), anyway recent advances in hardware really get me excited and have prompted me to build a new system.
Dx10 is cool but has it been proven to provide such a major increase in visual eye-candy that it's worth the wait and the struggle to get the bugs worked out, is there a majority of software that is ready for DX10?
On the same note MS Vista is proving to be a failure that is plagued with problems and will require constant upgrading (just like Win XP)......what a coincidence.
I feel that there is no better time to buy than right now or at least before the end of the November, the geeks are foaming at the mouth to get their sweaty little hands on the upcoming technically superior advances in digitalpixelCMOSoverclockedBIOSsubzero65nmteracore7950GX2hyperdrive graphics cards capable of burning images of RGB crystals into your brain.
Just do it quit worrying about the "next best thing".......
October 18, 2006 11:47:54 PM

agree. DX10 and quad core might be great in the next year or two to come. Vista might turn out to be a great OS. Right now none of that matters much. Get your computer have some fun the next best thing is always coming. Coming from a guy who almost always buys the best next thing as it comes out doesnt mean much but i can speak from exp is hardly ever pays off right away. Some things yeah will give a niec boost in praformance but alot wont do much of anything. quad cores wont be like dual core. hell dual core when it came out was to me a finaly computers are catching up to the multi tasker and for me gave a huge jump in speed. Then again there are alot of things designed to take advantage of dual cpu tech not much for quad.
!