Epson 4180

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 31, 2004 2:09:34 AM

I just replaced my old HP 6200c with a new Epson 4180, but I can't get the
TWAIN driver to work. Scanning photos and slides from Adobe Elements works just
fine. But if I try to use any features in Epson's Smart Panel, an error message
appears that says, "Please install the supported TWAIN driver." If I try to use
any other program, I receive some sort of error message indicating that the
program can't find the TWAIN driver.
I've completely removed the old HP drivers via the Add/Remove Windows
utility and manually deleted the HP files that remained. (HP's web site has
directions on manually removing the HP scanner drivers). Still to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. (To reply remove "not" from the
reply to: field).

More about : epson 4180

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 7:01:16 PM

"Bill Oertell" <notoertell@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I just replaced my old HP 6200c with a new Epson 4180, but I can't get
> the
> TWAIN driver to work. Scanning photos and slides from Adobe Elements
> works just
> fine. But if I try to use any features in Epson's Smart Panel, an error
> message
> appears that says, "Please install the supported TWAIN driver." If I try
> to use
> any other program, I receive some sort of error message indicating that
> the
> program can't find the TWAIN driver.
> I've completely removed the old HP drivers via the Add/Remove Windows
> utility and manually deleted the HP files that remained. (HP's web site
> has
> directions on manually removing the HP scanner drivers). Still to no
> avail.
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. (To reply remove "not" from
> the
> reply to: field).

If Elements can import from the Epson scanner, then maybe you are using the
WIA driver instead of TWAIN.

Windows XP may install a WIA driver for the scanner when you first connect
the scanner if you have not installed the Epson software before connecting
the Scanner.

In that case follow Epson's procedure to completely remove the Software.
Look in the Device manager and remove any Epson Scanner you find.

You have to remove the WIA driver for XP to recognize the TWAIN interface.

I have never allowed XP to install any WIA drivers on my computer, so I do
not know where the remove is for WIA.

Some information on WIA.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300462

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stillimage/XP_WIAd...