Sign in with
Your question

DDR2 Single Module Chip or DD2 Dual Channel Set?

Last response: in Memory
October 17, 2006 3:37:49 PM

I'm trying to buy new memory but I'm so confused.

Can you use 2 DDR2 single modules to make it DDR2 dual channel? If so, would I need to buy anything to do that? Why would you buy the Dual Channel Set over 2 single modules?

Please help.
Amytdev
October 17, 2006 6:58:35 PM

Yes, the dual packs are pretty much just marketing/convenience. Sometimes the dual packs are cheaper than 2 single packs, but sometimes 2 single packs are cheaper -- get whichever is cheaper.
October 18, 2006 3:58:53 PM

Thanks for the information on that. Could you tell me what Dual in-line means? I saw a single module that said Dual in-line memory.

Amytdev
Related resources
October 18, 2006 11:46:00 PM

It's the first two words of the DIMM acronym: Dual Inline Memory Module. Basically, it just means that there are contacts on both sides of the module connector.
October 19, 2006 1:02:27 AM

Quote:

Can you use 2 DDR2 single modules to make it DDR2 dual channel? If so, would I need to buy anything to do that? Why would you buy the Dual Channel Set over 2 single modules?

All you need to do is to run the same amount of memory on both channels. I would advise to always buy the same specs otherwise youll be limited yourself to the lowest quality one, and it wont run as fast or tight as the better one.
October 19, 2006 3:39:03 PM

Thanks for all the information! That helped a lot!!! I'll be stopping by Fry's to buy my memory.
October 19, 2006 4:20:23 PM

One word of advice. If you can't afford 2x1GB sticks, I would only get a 1GB stick and not 2x512MB sticks. VISTA will require 2GB of RAM.
You might lose a little bit of performance by not having dual channel right away but this loss is relatively small. And 2x1GB in the future is better than 4x512MB.
October 19, 2006 9:47:39 PM

Quote:
One word of advice. If you can't afford 2x1GB sticks, I would only get a 1GB stick and not 2x512MB sticks. VISTA will require 2GB of RAM.
You might lose a little bit of performance by not having dual channel right away but this loss is relatively small. And 2x1GB in the future is better than 4x512MB.

They OC easier too :D 
October 20, 2006 4:15:18 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to buy new memory but I'm so confused.

Please help.
Amytdev

Like the guy said above, if your motherboard can do dual channel, you just get two modules of the same memory (exactly the same is best) and put them in the right slots for that, the motherboard manual will say how to do that.

And yes, if this is a new board, get one 1gb module and expand later, I'm running 512mb X 2 but my motherboard is 3 years old.

Best of luck.
!